My Peg2 Arrives

Roark

The CHI Rick Browne tried out came to me for evaluation. Here's a quick eval on the wrist curl movement.

This thing is all stainless steel and heavy duty (and heavy, period). Bomb proof as is usual with PDA.

I really like the offset handles. And, it's more comfortable to do wrist curls with. When doing curls with the Formulator, the top pad tends to create an "edge" against your back of the wrist. The PEG does not do that whatsoever and distributes the force much better and doesn't feel as straining on the bone/edge of the wrist. Frankly, this begs the question why the formulator pad is so thick since it doesn't flex and form to the hand/wrist at all and is as hard as it is.

The range of tension for the movement also seems to be greater. So, I blew that part off until I noticed one set with 35lbs and my under forearms are sore. To be honest, I never expected this result. I guess I should not have been surprised since John at PDA is a designer and mechanical engineer. He obviously put some thought into it.

As stated on the PEG2 page:

"The leverage/ROM factors were pre-selected by calculation and built around. We did not build from whatever was available and make excuses for the leverage or the ROM or the fit. Our material selection criteria made sure there were no excuses necessary for material either - we built with the best and the most cost effective materials resulting in superior materials, superior performance, and a lower cost.

The design process also took into consideration that no two hands were identical - not even your own two hands. Additionally, there no rigid, 'square' or 'flat' surfaces anywhere in your surface anatomy, much less your hands. Therefore, 'flats', squares', 'perpendiculars', rigids, semi-rigids, and the like, have no meaning and are out of place in a device like Pegasus."

http://www.fractionalplates.com/images/wcs.jpg

I'll post how the extensions go soon. I think the formulator has the edge in ease of adjustment for hand sizes but I guess PDA has already addressed that in the Peg2 (I am evaluating an older version of the CHI). I'd also have to say the formulator looks cooler too with the shiny black and pad that has the web site stamped in.

Bill,

is there anyway you could post a video of the peg2? Like the one you did with the Formulator.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Rick Browne

• Bill Piche

• WildGorillaMan

The CHI Rick Browne tried out came to me for evaluation. Here's a quick eval on the wrist curl movement.

This thing is all stainless steel and heavy duty (and heavy, period). Bomb proof as is usual with PDA.

I really like the offset handles. And, it's more comfortable to do wrist curls with. When doing curls with the Formulator, the top pad tends to create an "edge" against your back of the wrist. The PEG does not do that whatsoever and distributes the force much better and doesn't feel as straining on the bone/edge of the wrist. Frankly, this begs the question why the formulator pad is so thick since it doesn't flex and form to the hand/wrist at all and is as hard as it is.

The range of tension for the movement also seems to be greater. So, I blew that part off until I noticed one set with 35lbs and my under forearms are sore. To be honest, I never expected this result. I guess I should not have been surprised since John at PDA is a designer and mechanical engineer. He obviously put some thought into it.

As stated on the PEG2 page:

"The leverage/ROM factors were pre-selected by calculation and built around. We did not build from whatever was available and make excuses for the leverage or the ROM or the fit. Our material selection criteria made sure there were no excuses necessary for material either - we built with the best and the most cost effective materials resulting in superior materials, superior performance, and a lower cost.

The design process also took into consideration that no two hands were identical - not even your own two hands. Additionally, there no rigid, 'square' or 'flat' surfaces anywhere in your surface anatomy, much less your hands. Therefore, 'flats', squares', 'perpendiculars', rigids, semi-rigids, and the like, have no meaning and are out of place in a device like Pegasus."

http://www.fractionalplates.com/images/wcs.jpg

I'll post how the extensions go soon. I think the formulator has the edge in ease of adjustment for hand sizes but I guess PDA has already addressed that in the Peg2 (I am evaluating an older version of the CHI). I'd also have to say the formulator looks cooler too with the shiny black and pad that has the web site stamped in.

Bill,

is there anyway you could post a video of the peg2? Like the one you did with the Formulator.

I have the CHI which is really a first generation Peg. But, I am mega strapped for time these days anyway so it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Thanks for this information guys I have a formulator but ive just emailed to get myself a Peg2 .They will be made very well as is everything from PDA ive bought a few things from them and they are all top quality

Mark

There is a good chance you will be converted to the Pegasus2. As a matter of fact, I gave my Formulator to a friend today; FREE!

I think your right looking at previous posts and the information on the PDA site.John at PDA says it should ship by Tuesday.I will post the results when it arrives and I can compare it with the formulator.

Mark

I have both the Formulator and the Pegasus2.Peg2 is better due to the offset of handles and less use of weights.Formulator works also well as long as your fingertips doesn't grasp the edge of the handles, it should be straight out.For those going to order Peg2, you should think of getting the auxiliary pads if the back of your hands is not tought enough.My back of the hands hurts very badly without the auxiliary pad.The hand size would take you a little while to accustomized yourself to where you are comfortable.And also on Peg2 , you can't do pronation and supination.

I have both the Formulator and the Pegasus2.Peg2 is better due to the offset of handles and less use of weights.Formulator works also well as long as your fingertips doesn't grasp the edge of the handles, it should be straight out.For those going to order Peg2, you should think of getting the auxiliary pads if the back of your hands is not tought enough.My back of the hands hurts very badly without the auxiliary pad.The hand size would take you a little while to accustomized yourself to where you are comfortable.And also on Peg2 , you can't do pronation and supination.

I have no problem performing pronation and supination with the Peg2. However, I can use heavier weight with other implements.

I have no problem performing pronation and supination with the Peg2. However, I can use heavier weight with other implements.

Looks like the Peg2 is the way to go.Knowing John at PDA it will have been designed properly and efficently with improvements on any original design flaws from previous versions or other companies versions.I cannot fault PDA in either the quality of the products or customer service, great company.

Mark

What I mean is that you can't do the pronation and supination with your hand straight out just like in extension on peg2 without grasping the bar.

What I mean is that you can't do the pronation and supination with your hand straight out just like in extension on peg2 without grasping the bar.

I do not know of any implement that allows sup and pro movements with the fingers straight. If you know of any, please post it. Pro and sup are forearm movements and the need to grasp the implement is necessary to do them, as much as I know.

Thanks for this information guys I have a formulator but ive just emailed to get myself a Peg2 .They will be made very well as is everything from PDA ive bought a few things from them and they are all top quality

Mark

There is a good chance you will be converted to the Pegasus2. As a matter of fact, I gave my Formulator to a friend today; FREE!

your friend is sure lucky to have a friend like you.

This may be retarded but what the hell is a Loading Stack Adapter.... It is listed on the Peg 2 page.

This may be retarded but what the hell is a Loading Stack Adapter.... It is listed on the Peg 2 page.

I think it is an extension of the loading sleeve. So they probably took an additional sleeve welded it to a ginc and then you just bolt it on the top of the loading sleeve of the peg itself. I may have to order one because my hand size is 8.5 and my fingers go past the bottom of the sleeve for about an inch, shortening the length I have for loading plates. I should have done my homework first and ordered a custom one with a longer shaft...

Anyways I'm happy with the one I got and the adapter fixes my problem nicely.

My two cents..

-t

Loading stack adapter, I'm pretty sure it is made for using a cable weight stack (low pulley on a cable crossover setup) instead of (or in conjunction with) plates at a gym. Here's from the pda site:

"Realize loading stacks seldom have increments below 5 pounds, perhaps 2-1/2 pounds rarely. You simply will not be using much of a stack. However, with the LSA you will still be able to add fractional plates. We presume you have a 3/8" spring lock to attach your stack cable; if not, let us know."

Edited by AP

Loading stack adapter, I'm pretty sure it is made for using a cable weight stack (low pulley on a cable crossover setup) instead of (or in conjunction with) plates at a gym. Here's from the pda site:

"Realize loading stacks seldom have increments below 5 pounds, perhaps 2-1/2 pounds rarely. You simply will not be using much of a stack. However, with the LSA you will still be able to add fractional plates. We presume you have a 3/8" spring lock to attach your stack cable; if not, let us know."

Yes...you're right...wishful thinking on my part :(

Yes...you're right...wishful thinking on my part :(

The leverage using this apparatus will not allow the pin in the weight stack to be inserted very low on the stack, I am guessing. But it will save messing with plate loading changes. Smaller weights can be added to the top of the weight stack for increments.

Sounds like a solid idea. :rolleyes

Just received my Peg2. I did a few sets with it to make sure it was set right for my hands.Its a hell of alot harder than my Formulator, a much more intense feel, and thats with only playing around with it.Im really pleased with it, very compact and sturdy.Another great tool from PDA

Mark

Am nearing my goal to get two sets of ten on the P2 with 50 pounds.

This morning one set of ten, then one set of nine. Soon, I hope.

Any visible results and or carryover from the Peg2 training?

Any visible results and or carryover from the Peg2 training?

Carryover- not if you mean with the barbell because I have not used the barbell lately- even for warm-ups- just the empty bar, then go to the P2.

Visible results- yes, I am noticing a slight change in shape. Invisible results: it takes me several hours to get over the tired forearm feeling. With a barbell I was back to normal in an hour.

There's specific movements. Getting stronger is what you mean I would guess (carryover was mentioned)? Joe would have to get back to the barbell for a few weeks to see if there was any strength gains specific to the better isolation of the forearms due to the use of the Peg.

It will be awhile before I return to barbell wrist curls. I like the feeling of no pain, and the P2 is pain free for me. There is absolutely no feeling of shear force.

If I hit a plateau I may switch to a barbell for variety, but now, I am having fun with this new challenge. This morning I did not even use a barbell for warmups (empty bar). But hence I will, then use 30 for my first P2 set, and stay with 50 for my two heavy sets.

Kinda disagree there. If you are stronger you are stronger. Shouldn't take much work in the wrist curl to find out because it isn't really a high skill movement. If the carryover is present and obvious I don't think it would take more than a workout or 2 to tell.

At least in my experience with the myriad of bench press exercises I do.

There's specific movements. Getting stronger is what you mean I would guess (carryover was mentioned)? Joe would have to get back to the barbell for a few weeks to see if there was any strength gains specific to the better isolation of the forearms due to the use of the Peg.

When I return to the barbell for heavy wrist curls, I suspect within three workouts or so, I would be back where I was.

But.

I have no interest in putting that kind of strain on my wrists anytime soon. I am having too much fun with the P2 right now.

After I can get one rep with 70 in the P2, I will see what I can do with the barbell.

That will be a while, I suspect.

Kinda disagree there. If you are stronger you are stronger. Shouldn't take much work in the wrist curl to find out because it isn't really a high skill movement. If the carryover is present and obvious I don't think it would take more than a workout or 2 to tell.

At least in my experience with the myriad of bench press exercises I do.

So what we are talking here is 4 workouts versus 2. I was assuming a twice a week frequency. Not much to disagree with Bob! :tongue No wonder you said "kinda". :)

I never knew you were a splitting hairs guy on motor learning and specificity. ;)

Goal reached this morning.

Peg2:

50 x 12

50 x 10

next workout 52.5 or maybe 55 until I can get two sets of ten.

40 x 15

40 x 10

then on a barbell 135 x 3 just to see how my wrists are doing.