My Peg2 Arrives

Roark

My Peg2 arrived yesterday at 11:07.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the adjustment correct to fit my hands- I am not at all skilled at such reasoning. Anyway, got it rigged right and tried it out.

I did not keep my fingers straight, I grapped the upper bar like a regular wrist curl- will try straight fingers soon.

Without any warmup, I did a set of ten reps with 25 lbs, a set of ten with 50 lbs and four reps with 60 lbs just to get the feel. I hope to do more later today.

The 60 lbs felt heavier than the 170 lbs I recently used on a barbell.

I will take it slow so as not to re-injure my wrist, but there was no pain at all on my wrist as there is with a barbell.

The Peg2 weighs 9 lbs on my digital scale, is solid stainless steel, and is going to be an interesting tool.

I bought the extra thick pads for the reverse wrist curls, but I have not tried them yet.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Rick Browne

• Bill Piche

• WildGorillaMan

My Peg2 arrived yesterday at 11:07.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the adjustment correct to fit my hands- I am not at all skilled at such reasoning. Anyway, got it rigged right and tried it out.

I did not keep my fingers straight, I grapped the upper bar like a regular wrist curl- will try straight fingers soon.

Without any warmup, I did a set of ten reps with 25 lbs, a set of ten with 50 lbs and four reps with 60 lbs just to get the feel. I hope to do more later today.

The 60 lbs felt heavier than the 170 lbs I recently used on a barbell.

I will take it slow so as not to re-injure my wrist, but there was no pain at all on my wrist as there is with a barbell.

The Peg2 weighs 9 lbs on my digital scale, is solid stainless steel, and is going to be an interesting tool.

I bought the extra thick pads for the reverse wrist curls, but I have not tried them yet.

Good for you Joe!. I ordered one earlier this morning myself. :cool

Okay, just back from the gym.

Worked up to 165 lbs for 5 reps on barbell to warmup.

50 lbs for a set of 10 on Peg2. Then a rep with 60. Then put 70 on and could not complete a single rep. So my goal is to get 70 lbs.

One thing I noticed when I was experimenting. Putting a 45, then a 5 on for a total of 50 is much easier than putting on two 25s- because more of the weight is farther away from the hands, so here's what I plan to do:

Slide on some 2.5 lb plates for spacers first, then add the 45 farther away from my hands.

Humbling experience.

50 lbs for a set of 10 on Peg2. Then a rep with 60. Then put 70 on and could not complete a single rep. So my goal is to get 70 lbs.

One thing I noticed when I was experimenting. Putting a 45, then a 5 on for a total of 50 is much easier than putting on two 25s- because more of the weight is farther away from the hands, so here's what I plan to do:

Slide on some 2.5 lb plates for spacers first, then add the 45 farther away from my hands.

Humbling experience.

Or if you have an additional spring clamp, put that on first and that gives you a quick adjustment of the plates down to the hands or away from the hands. 55 lbs can be quickly adjusted without removing plates. Sandwhich the plates between 2 spring clamps is what I am saying.

Humbling experience.

Or if you have an additional spring clamp, put that on first and that gives you a quick adjustment of the plates down to the hands or away from the hands. 55 lbs can be quickly adjusted without removing plates. Sandwhich the plates between 2 spring clamps is what I am saying.

I'll try that, thanks.

Sounds like a respectable chunk of stainless steel.

I know there is a link...but what did YOUR Peg2 cost ..as is ..with the extra pads.

The PDA site does sort of confuse me @ times. :whacked

Roark, can you take a pic of your hands in the wrist curl position so I can see what it looks like. The one pad on that thing looks really big and I would like to see a hand holding it. I am only interested in these devices based on the wrist curl, the reverse curl is not so interesting to me (take that as I would be too lazy to do them very often :tongue )

Thanks,

Greg

I'll get a photo soon. The thick pad is not the pad that is grasped- it goes under the wrist- at least that's how I understand it.

The cost delivered, with my name stamped onto the horn, and extra pads, was $116.67.

I'll get a photo soon. The thick pad is not the pad that is grasped- it goes under the wrist- at least that's how I understand it.

The cost delivered, with my name stamped onto the horn, and extra pads, was $116.67.

That's not a bad price at all.

Just off the phone with Jonh at PDA.

I have had the handle set incorrectly- to a harder position.

This morning I worked up to 180 lbs for a single on the barbell wrist curl, then began using the Peg2, with, it turns out, an incorrect handle setting. I got a set with 50 lbs and it was murder. Then a set with 45, then 40.

After speaking with John, I moved the handle more than one inch closer, and will try this position on Thursday. The offset makes it harder, of course, so the less offset, the easier. I want to go to the gym now and retry but my forearms are fried and it would not be a good test.

The key is that the hand should be 'wedged' between the two bars. I had it set with a 100% error!

So I am eager to know what I can do with the new setting.

So far Mensa has not called me. :(

Just off the phone with Jonh at PDA.

I have had the handle set incorrectly- to a harder position.

This morning I worked up to 180 lbs for a single on the barbell wrist curl, then began using the Peg2, with, it turns out, an incorrect handle setting. I got a set with 50 lbs and it was murder. Then a set with 45, then 40.

After speaking with John, I moved the handle more than one inch closer, and will try this position on Thursday. The offset makes it harder, of course, so the less offset, the easier. I want to go to the gym now and retry but my forearms are fried and it would not be a good test.

The key is that the hand should be 'wedged' between the two bars. I had it set with a 100% error!

So I am eager to know what I can do with the new setting.

So far Mensa has not called me. :(

Not meaning to hijack your thread Joe, but since we are talking about Peg2, I thought to post up that my Peg2 arrived today. Some improvements over the Chimera I tried earlier, with the one I like, being a GINC collar for the adjustment hand fit. The Chimera had a 2 piece machined block with 2 hex head bolts that you had to torque down equally for the fit. Not a hassle but more time consuming. Plus the Dard bar being absent gives the feel that the Peg2 is now a stand alone forearm and wrist tool.

Alternated a workout using the Peg and my Formulator this afternoon. However much I like the Formulator, I honestly like the Peg2 better. In my opinion, the offset hand position of the Peg2, the stainless steel body, a bit more compactness, plus the feel of higher intensity, is the basis for my opinion. PDA has done it again!

I will have an opportunity to try a Formulator soon- probably before the end of the month.

Rick, did you notice any difference in the amount of weight you could handle between the two?

I kept the weight the same on both. The offset handles on the Peg, I thought, made the extension wrist movement more intense with the same weight. I tried this movement also. With the Aux pads in the extension position, I rotated the device 180 dgrees, the Aux pads will still be on top of the hands or back.

This allowed me to curl the weights backwards or toward me in a reverse path. The movement is a copy of the wrist curl behind the back. I found it to be more effective with the elbows anchored on top of the knees and simply curl towards your body. It hit the forearm muscle area near the underside, coming down from the elbow. This is done with the Peg. Again the innovative offset handles allows this to be performed strictly.

The extension movement weights ranged from 10lbs to 18 lbs. The Flexion weights were in the 35 to 43 lb range. I have many Micro load plates to use, ranging from 4 oz to 1 lb. I made these micros by the way and calibrated them on the Post Office digital scale.

Since I prefer using high reps, I pretty much stay with the same load for long periods of time. Once in a while I will try a heavier load scheme.

With the handle properly spaced this morning on my Peg2, I was not able to use any more weight, BUT, the feel and effectiveness of the weight was much more obvious. Moving the lever arm one inch brought a whole new category of resistance.

After warming up, I got two strict sets of six reps with 45 lbs, then two strict sets of ten with 35 lbs.

45 lbs as you all know is about the weight of an empty Olympic bar! I would fall asleep doing reps with an empty Olympic bar, but 45 on the Peg2 is ALL I could handle in good form.

So I will stay with 45 until I can get ten reps per set, then start micro-loading.

Soon I hope to have a Formulator to compare with the Peg2.

Rick,

Do you feel the Peg2 or Formulator would be a good tool to protect one from or improve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

I have not thought of these devices for cure or prevention of carpal tunnel. I have not read any claims made by the manufacturers that would aid in CT syndrome protection or prevention. So honestly I do not know.

Just ordered a Peg for myself - looking forward to comparing it to the Formulator.

The CHI Rick Browne tried out came to me for evaluation. Here's a quick eval on the wrist curl movement.

This thing is all stainless steel and heavy duty (and heavy, period). Bomb proof as is usual with PDA.

I really like the offset handles. And, it's more comfortable to do wrist curls with. When doing curls with the Formulator, the top pad tends to create an "edge" against your back of the wrist. The PEG does not do that whatsoever and distributes the force much better and doesn't feel as straining on the bone/edge of the wrist. Frankly, this begs the question why the formulator pad is so thick since it doesn't flex and form to the hand/wrist at all and is as hard as it is.

The range of tension for the movement also seems to be greater. So, I blew that part off until I noticed one set with 35lbs and my under forearms are sore. To be honest, I never expected this result. I guess I should not have been surprised since John at PDA is a designer and mechanical engineer. He obviously put some thought into it.

As stated on the PEG2 page:

"The leverage/ROM factors were pre-selected by calculation and built around. We did not build from whatever was available and make excuses for the leverage or the ROM or the fit. Our material selection criteria made sure there were no excuses necessary for material either - we built with the best and the most cost effective materials resulting in superior materials, superior performance, and a lower cost.

The design process also took into consideration that no two hands were identical - not even your own two hands. Additionally, there no rigid, 'square' or 'flat' surfaces anywhere in your surface anatomy, much less your hands. Therefore, 'flats', squares', 'perpendiculars', rigids, semi-rigids, and the like, have no meaning and are out of place in a device like Pegasus."

http://www.fractionalplates.com/images/wcs.jpg

I'll post how the extensions go soon. I think the formulator has the edge in ease of adjustment for hand sizes but I guess PDA has already addressed that in the Peg2 (I am evaluating an older version of the CHI). I'd also have to say the formulator looks cooler too with the shiny black and pad that has the web site stamped in.

I think the formulator has the edge in ease of adjustment for hand sizes but I guess PDA has already addressed that in the Peg2

The Hand pad adjusting function HAS been simpified on the Peg2. 1/4 turn on the lock bolt and it easily slides to where you want the hand pads to be. I found once I had it adjusted to my hand size, no further adjustment has been needed. Of course, if more than one individual with different hand size uses the same unit, then adjustments will have to be made. Made quite easily though.

Bill,

Any differences in poundages betwee the P & F- can you use the same weight for same reps on each?

Bill,

Any differences in poundages betwee the P & F- can you use the same weight for same reps on each?

The weight is lower with the P.

The CHI Rick Browne tried out came to me for evaluation. Here's a quick eval on the wrist curl movement.

This thing is all stainless steel and heavy duty (and heavy, period). Bomb proof as is usual with PDA.

I really like the offset handles. And, it's more comfortable to do wrist curls with. When doing curls with the Formulator, the top pad tends to create an "edge" against your back of the wrist. The PEG does not do that whatsoever and distributes the force much better and doesn't feel as straining on the bone/edge of the wrist. Frankly, this begs the question why the formulator pad is so thick since it doesn't flex and form to the hand/wrist at all and is as hard as it is.

The range of tension for the movement also seems to be greater. So, I blew that part off until I noticed one set with 35lbs and my under forearms are sore. To be honest, I never expected this result. I guess I should not have been surprised since John at PDA is a designer and mechanical engineer. He obviously put some thought into it.

"The leverage/ROM factors were pre-selected by calculation and built around. We did not build from whatever was available and make excuses for the leverage or the ROM or the fit. Our material selection criteria made sure there were no excuses necessary for material either - we built with the best and the most cost effective materials resulting in superior materials, superior performance, and a lower cost.

The design process also took into consideration that no two hands were identical - not even your own two hands. Additionally, there no rigid, 'square' or 'flat' surfaces anywhere in your surface anatomy, much less your hands. Therefore, 'flats', squares', 'perpendiculars', rigids, semi-rigids, and the like, have no meaning and are out of place in a device like Pegasus."

I'll post how the extensions go soon. I think the formulator has the edge in ease of adjustment for hand sizes but I guess PDA has already addressed that in the Peg2 (I am evaluating an older version of the CHI). I'd also have to say the formulator looks cooler too with the shiny black and pad that has the web site stamped in.

So there we go.

They call this progress......a good idea was IMPROVED and actually redesigned.

Made more effective and more versatile AND sturdier.

Happens all the time.

God Bless America.

So there we go.

They call this progress......a good idea was IMPROVED and actually redesigned.

Made more effective and more versatile AND sturdier.

Happens all the time.

God Bless America.

Thanks for this information guys I have a formulator but ive just emailed to get myself a Peg2 .They will be made very well as is everything from PDA ive bought a few things from them and they are all top quality

Mark

Thanks for this information guys I have a formulator but ive just emailed to get myself a Peg2 .They will be made very well as is everything from PDA ive bought a few things from them and they are all top quality

Mark

There is a good chance you will be converted to the Pegasus2. As a matter of fact, I gave my Formulator to a friend today; FREE!