Deadlifting With No Hands

t-wehner

As i said in my last entry, my left hand is broken, cast up to the elbow. Love to do deadlifts though, so figured out a way to do them in the meantime.

using the IM Super Squats Squat Belt, i attach the weight (Stacks of DB's at home, or Barbell in the gym at the unit) i route my arms through the belt like folding the arms cross the chest, and then DL it. here's yesterdays #'s

set/wgt/rep

1x70x5

1x140x2

1x190x2

cold in the garage, so did 65 deep, fast Hindu Squats to keep the blood going

1x240x2

1x265x2

1x285x1

1x295x1

did 50 decline bench situps with a 50lb sand bag on my chest and called it a day.

Will post tonights sandbag/ grip workout later this evening.

Welp, family obligations take priority to working out, sop tonights workout was cut down to a few exercises.

50lb sandbag curls, cupping the sandbag underneath with both hands (one in a cast)

1x25reps

2x20

2x15

Right hand palm press of the 50lb sand bag (clean it up to your shoulder with one hand, then position the bag to where it is balanced on your open palm, then press overhead (feel it in the wrist when it shifts out of balance)

5x5

lever bar (4lb sledge hammer)

front wrist raises 2x5

rear 2x5

rotations side to side 4x5

sand bag reverse curl (gripping the bag from the top) 50lb

5x2

Sandbag timed hold (arms held straight to the front, sand bag resting on the forearms as close to the hands as possible

1x25seconds

will get a good sandbag workout tomorrow. more to come

Was able to get in a pretty good workout this morning with the sandbags, and hit the grip a bit too, though my forearm was still a bit sore from earlier in the week.

Here's what went on this morning:

50 HINDU SQUATS

SANDBAG LIFT TO THE SHOULDER, THEN MOVING IT TO THE OTHER SHOULDER, THEN BACK DOWN- THIS IS ONE REP

4X120LBS

3X120

2X120

1X120

50 HINDU SQUATS

SANDBAG LIFT TO THE SHOULDER THEN DOWN

2X170-RIGHT SHOULDER

2X170-LEFT SHOULDER

SIDEBENDS

1X70LBSX20 EACH SIDE

SITUPS DONE NONSTOP

50 DECLINE SITUPS then 25 W/50LB SANDBAG then 25 OBLIQUE

GRIPPERS (+= im HANDGRIPPER HELPER)

TX5

T+X2

#1X2

#1+X2

#1+X2

#1+X2 (FIRST REP WAS FULL, SECOND WAS 1/8" SHORT OF CLOSED)

#1+X1

#1+X1

#1 STRAP HOLD 10 SECONDS 10LBS, 1/4"STRAP

DB reverse curl 2x50lbx5

that was about it for today, back with ya'll in 2 days or so. Advice on grippers welcome whole heartedly.

have gotten to within 1/8" of closing the #2. will start doing attempted reps on the #2 again here in a week or so.

Ok, got my cast off yesterday, and it is going to be a long road to recovery, but it'll be a pretty good challenge, and test. So bring it on. Still going to be one handed working out for the time being till i am able to move my hand, and fingers.

last nights quick workout

50lb sandbag high pulls

2x5

1x4

50lb sandbag curls, one arm

1x5

1x4

1x3

3" Dumbbell curl 50lbs

1x3

1x5

1x7

1x5

1x5 half reps till failure

3" DB shoulder press

1x5 then right into 15 lockouts in the top position

tomorrow i hit the grip and grippers hard and heavy. my forearm and grip has finally recovered, and yesterdays workout got the blood going, and helped kick out any final soreness.

more to follow tomorrow

good going hope you heal up fast you can also get one of these to change up your workout http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Head-Harness-Adjus...1QQcmdZViewItem keep up the good work :rock

thanks for the encouragement, and will definately check this link out. Been hitting the neck lately, and also odd lifts and tests for strength.

Hit the grippers pretty hard yesterday, during some down time at work, then hit some odd work later at home to finish stuff off for the day.

GRIPPERS (+ = IM HANDGRIPPER HELPER)

TX10

TX5

T+X2

#1X2

#1+X2 FOR 5 SETS

#1+FOR 2 SINGLES

#1X10

2XTX5---CHOKED UP ON THE HANDLES SO THAT MY HAND WAS CLOSER TO THE SPRING WHILE CLOSING/ MADE IT HARDER FOR SURE, AND COULD NOT CLOSE THE #1 LIKE THIS. GOT TO TRY NEXT TIME I WORKOUT WHILE STILL FRESH.

10 X10 GREEN EXTENSOR BAND

1 ARM BENCH ON THE MACHINE AT HOME 90LBS FOR 5X5

EAGLE LOOP DEADLIFT 1X70/ 1X140/2X190

EXTENSOR JAR (EMPTY PROTEIN CONTAINER WITH 10LBS IN IT)+ WHITE BAND ROUND FINGERS X25 SECONDS

LEVERBAR 6LBS

FRONT 2X5

REAR 2X5

ROTATIONS 2X5

LEVER THE WEIGHT TO MY FORE HEAD WITH ARM HELD PARRALEL TO THE GROUND 3X1

MORE TOMORROW

TAKE CARE AND GOOD TRAINING

Today was a pretty good all round workout.

Gripper

Trainer -7sets of 10 (various grips) RIGHT HAND

Bent over rows

5x50lbsx10

(had to use lifting strap on left hand, can't use anything but my index-thumb and middle finger-hand is really messed up, but the cast is off at least)

MACHINE ROWS

3X100LBSX10

PULL DOWNS

3X100LBSX10

SQUALT BELT SQUATS

1X70X5/1X140X5/1X190X5/1X240X5/1X265X10

LUNGES (BODYWEIGHT)

2X50 EACH LEG

HINDU SQUATS

2X 1 MINUTE TIMED SET---54 FIRST SET---62 SECOND SET

100 DECLINE SIT UPS

SHRUGS

2X50LBSX15

tODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY I WAS ABLE TO DO NORMAL EXCERCISES WITH MY LEFT HAND SINCE DECEMBER. FELT GOOD, AND WILL KEEP USING THE LIFTING STRAP TILL I GET SOME GRIP IN THE LEFT.

TAKE CARE AND GOOD LIFTING

Yesterday was just to get my body used to doing excercises with both hands again, albeit with a lifting strap on my left hand.

Pulldowns machine rows shoulder press (3" 50lb right hand/25lb left hand)

1x100x10 1x130x20 4x5 each hand

1x130x10

1x160x10

1x130x20

Now on todays workout, it was a test day to see what progress i had made on the # 2.

Tx10

TX5

T+X2

#1X2

#1X1

#2 DID 12 SINGLE ATTEMPTS

GOT TO JUST A HAIR FROM CLOSING THE FIRST SEVERAL ATTEMPTS, I MEAN UNMEASURALBLY CLOSE, THEN BAM! CLOSED IT, THEN AGAIN, MISSED ONE, THEN CLOSED IT IN FRONT OF THE WIFE, ANOTHER MISS, WORKED IT CLOSED TWICE MORE. THE REMAINING ATEMPTS WERE CLOSE, BUT NOT MUCH EXPLOSIVENESS LEFT IN MY HAND.

i HAD TO SET THE GRIPPER IN MY HAND A LTTLE BIT, BUT NOT TO PARRALEL, SO STILL A LONG WAY TO GO, BUT MAKING PROGRESS JUST THE SAME. wHEN USING THE #1 AND HANDGRIPPER HELPER I USE THE NO SET METHOD, BUT OH WELL, THIS ONE WILL COME. MAN AM I HAPPY!!!!!!! NOW ON TO MASTERING IT

TAKE CARE, AND GOOD LIFTING

workout for today

GRIPPER

TX5

TX2

#1X1

#1X1

#2X1 DID THIS FOR A TOTAL OF 7 SINGLES. DID ONE ATTEMPT AT A NO SET, GOT CLOSE, BUT COULD NOT GET IT, JUST SHORT. STILL GOT WORK TO DO ON THIS ONE

#1X1 FOR THREE SINGLES, NO SET

DID SNOWBALL PINCHES FOR MY LEFT HAND, AT LEAST THE THREE FINGERS THAT WORK ON THAT HAND.

CURLS

PREACHER RIGHT HAND-- 2X25LBSX5/1X40LBSX5/1X45LBSX5/1X50X5 (used 2 20lb DB for the 40lb, and 20lb and 25lb for the 45- cross the handles, grip, and curl)

LEFT HAND-- 5X20LBSX5

STANDING DB CURLS RIGHT HAND, 3" 50LB, 4X3

LEFT HAND, 25LBS, 4X5

SANDBAG 120LB

HELD IN BEARHUG FOR 30 SECONDS, THEN SET ON KNEE LEVEL BENCH, LIFTED TO THE SHOULDER, SWITCHED SHOULDERS, THEN BACK DOWN TO THE BENCH, UP, AND ONCE MORE FROM SHOULDER TO SHOULDER, THIS IS ONE REP.

4X1

SHRUGS

1X50X20

WILL HIT THE SANDBAG AGAIN TOMORROW, AND I'M MOVING MY SAND BAG WEIGHT UP TO 145 FROM HERE ON OUT AS A WORKING WEIGHT. HEAVY SANDBAG DAY WILL THEN BE 195LBS.

gETTING SOME STRENGTH IN THE LEFT HAND, BUT ONLY IN THREE FINGERS, JUST GONNA TAKE IT SLOW FOR A WHILE, AND USE THE LIFTING STRAP ON IT.

TALK TO YA'LL LATER, AND GOOD LIFTING.

here are the last two workouts. they were short ones, been busy lately.

11 MARCH

pinch block lift and hold for 10 seconds

right hand left hand

2setsx25lbs 3x20

1x35lbs 2x25

2x45

3x50

12 March

went up only twenty pounds on the sandbag, was using the 25 DB for other things

did a total of 11 lifts to the shoulder, per shoulder, using 140lb sandbag.

Bearhug sandbag and walk

2x60'

gripper

trainer 8 sets of 10, various grips, all no set.

will post tonights workout a little later this evening

• 2 weeks later...

ok, gonna try and put in a few things from the last week or so. I'm a Drill Sergeant, and we just picked up a new group of trainee's, and for the next couple of weeks it will be sparse training, cept for bodyweight excercises.

just hads surgery today on my left hand as well to repair the extensor tendon, and so it is back to one sided training again.

Did squats wensday, 5x5 parralell, max out at 275. first time i have done squats with a bar in months. felt good.

also did farmers carries with dumbells, 3x75lbsx150'. used a lifting strap on my left hand.

can pinch 2 25lb plates and lift and hold for 20 seconds. (new PR)

still stuck at 3, 10lb plates though. the 4th one is a bitch, durned small hands. just got to get stronger.

still closing the #2 coc with a deep set.

will write more soon, as soon as i get into the rhythem of the work schedule. Wake up at 0330, and get home at 2230, 7 days a week, for 6 weeks. it slows down some the last three weeks, weeks 7-9.

take care and good lifting

plier lifts (using pliers and a strap to lift) 10 second holds, regular grip

2x50lbs

2x75

3x100

reverse grip

2x50

extensor bucket lift, 12lbs, 20second hold

2x20 sec. + green band round fingers

2x20sec. +white band

2x20 sec.

2sets of 20 with green extensor band

wrist curls

1x25lbx15

4x3" 50lbx 5

reverse wrist curls

3x25lbsx10

tricep pushdowns, 1 arm

120lbs 3x5

straight arm pulldowns

120lbs 3x5

3" 50lb dumbell, hammer curl+shoulderpress

3x5

100 decline situps

more to come, got legs tomorrow with the squat belt, and maybe some one arm deadlifts, take care and

adapt and overcome

will be down and out for a little bit. had 2 surgeries within a week to repair the extensor on my left hand.

bored, down, and trying to wait for a good workout, just got to get healed first.

revamping my workouts, and planning for my future goals. will come back stronger than before.

take care, and good lifting

• 4 weeks later...

just dropping a few lines to let ya'll know i'm still healing, and the extensor repair didn't snap again.

working alot of ab's, lower back, legs, and some grip stuff still with my right hand.

one thing that has come about is my work with the #2. I can now get it one handed, and fully closed. so now it is on to mastering it. maybe even order me a # 3 here soon.

welp, will write here again in a few days.

Good to see that you stand stolid in the face of adversity, A true iron man will work out regardless of the circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...
Good to see that you stand stolid in the face of adversity, A true iron man will work out regardless of the circumstances.

My sentiments exactly. I hate it when someone gets an injury that only limits them in some way, and they neglect everything else that still works. Adapt and overcome. Thanks for the comments. much appreciated

Welp, finally getting range of motion with my left hand finally, and thankfully the tendon repair stayed this time, and is healing fine.

some high points in my training over the last couple of weeks....

can close the #2 regularly now from the cc set. yesterday i was able to close and grind the handles together. feeling real confident in my closing of it lately, although i still miss it from time to time.

265lb eagle loop one arm deadlift

took the end off an olympic bar, and used it for vertical bar lifts. got 110lbs for 5 second timed holds. man that thing was slick as hell. only counted till my hand started to slip, once it slipped, time stopped.

25 reps with the squat belt and 240lbs.

welp, will write more soon. take care and good lifting

Just a sidenote,

saw a picture in Ironman, of magnus samuelsson, closing the #4 without his pinky finger assisting in the close. have been trying it lateley too as a different way to build up my hand for that initial set before the handles are close enough to get my pinkie into action, and just to see if i could do it. can close the #1 like this no set, and can almost get it with only my index, and middle finger.

also, choking up on the handles is a method i heard bout also. that is setting the hand closer to the spring, as opposed to further from it. this makes the play of the pinkie that much harder in the final squeeze to get the handles to touch.

if anyone has tried either of the two methods, i'd like to know what ya think bout em. i like them both as they add variety, and increased difficulty to the limited numbers of grippers i own.

welp, more later,

take care, and good lifting

alright, starting to do some limited work with both hands. just being real careful with it all till i get the release from the therapist to start going at it again.

doing pushups now, using the pushup handles so i can keep my wrist straight.

doing pull downs, i'm up to 50lbs comfortably now, to the chest and behind the neck.

bear hugging a 120lb sandbag again, wearing my splint on my left hand, and walking 100', for three sets, and able to get the sand bag to the shoulder too from off a bench.

squats are coming along too, got 275x5 parralel, then did 285 x 1. also did 225 from the bottom position. getting my technique down now onj the squat, and doing alot of lower back extensions, and good mornings to get me up there over three hundred.

welp, talk later, more to come.

take care and good lifting.

I've gotta say, that injury hasn't slown you down a bit. Keep at it man! :rock

Ok, going to start logging my workouts again, and not just do the update thing anymore. Reason being that i can now do two handed workouts again, albeit limited. here's my last workout from yesterday:

push ups (off of pushup handles to keep wrist straight) 3x15

chest supported rows 1x20lbsx10/ 1x30lbsx10/ 1x40lbsx10/ 2x50lbsx10

squat belt 1x140x5/ 1x190x5/ 1x240x5 followed immediatly by 240x4 + a 50lb sandbag held bearhug style. kinda tricky getting the sandbag, but my son came in the garage and he handed it to me. thanks boy.

120lb sandbag 2x150' bearhug walk

sandbag timed hold bearhug 1x 1 minute

timed hold of sandbag on the shoulder 1x40seconds per shoulder

dumbell curls (right hand only) 1x25x5/ 1x50x5/ 1x 3"handle 50x5/ 2x 70x 3 cheat curls

now i gave the grippers some work too yesterday, but not too much. the #2 has been giving me grief the last week i guess, maor misses that hits. i looked at my log and my recovery days are good, but the volume, and progression is all slack though. so i'm going back to my old routine that got me this far, only the #2 will be integrated into it. here goes.

i will use the handgripper helpers on all three of my grippers. Will be going for only singles, strapholds, doubles, triples, and timed holds. will not make a regular #2 attempt for the next 3 weeks, then will give it a go and see if i made progress, if so, i order the #3, and CONTINUE WITH THE PROGRAM. my next workout will look like this:

(+= HANDGRIPPER HELPER) all reps are done cc width, or no set

TX5 warm up

T+X2 warm up

#1X1 warmup

#1+X2

#1+X2

#1+X2

#1+X2

#1+X2

EXTENSOR BUCKET 5X15LBS X 30 SECONDS

IF I MAKE ALL 5 SETS WITH COMPLETE CLOSES, THEN THE NEXT WORKOUT I WILL DO ONE SET 3, AND 4 SETS OF 2. IF I MAKE THAT THEN I ADD ANOTHER REP TO MY SECOND SET AND DO 3 SETS OF 2, SO ON AND SO ON TILL ALL 5 SETS ARE UP TO 5 REPS, GOOD FORM.

ADDITIONALLY, I WILL DO TWO OTHER EXCERCISES FOR GRIP PER WORKOUT, PICKING FROM:

PINCH BLOCK

#2 FORCED TIMED HOLD WITH HANDGRIPPER HELPER ON IT

STRAPHOLDS WITH #1, AND #1+

PLIER LIFTS

LEVERBAR 5LB HEAD

WELP, GOING TO BE HITTING THIS, AND HOPEFULLY IN THREE WEEKS THERE IS SOME IMPROVEMENT, AND THE #2 JUST SLAMS SHUT EVERYTIME I DO IT. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

Ok, hit one of my goals today, and that was to get my barbell squat to 300 and over. i got my 300 today, to parralel, and tried for a 315 squat, but was just short of parralel. I was squating alone in the power rack, and set the bars to where the bar just touches them at parralel. warmed up with 1x135lbx5, then 225x5, then started doing singles, 275x1, 285x1, 2x295x1 (didn't hit parralel the firts try), then did 300x1, and finally did 2x315x1. thought i was good for another attempt, and got closer than the first one, but still just short of it. 3/4 squat with 315 is a start though. and the funny thing is, i feel that next time i'll get even more. was feeling slightly tired, and getting hungry. so fed and rested, i may just get it, or higher. will keep ya'll posted.

also hit another PR, 4, 10 pound plates, pinched and lifted for a timed hold of 6 seconds. first time getting that one too. made a new pinch block a couple of weeks ago, little over three inches, and i think being able to lift 50 pounds on that helped with this lift. was also able to hold three plates, with thumb, ring, and pinkie fingers. so another first.

overall a pretty good day, for both squating, and grip feats.

oh, yeah, started my gripper routine today too, and got all 5 working sets with the #1+. I also did one forced rep timed hold with the #2+ and held it for 18 seconds, handles were just a 1/4 inch from touching towards the end of the time. pretty good day indeed.

Ok, last post for the day, ordered some Heavy Grips today. want to get some range in resistance before i go and order the #3. snooped round the gripboard for articles on the relative strengths of the HG's as compared to the IM's, and they fall right where i want them too. thanks for the advice and experience.