2006 Australian Grip Championships

Arthur Antonopoulos

But is is disturbing nonetheless...

Come on guys get real. Disturbing? This is a little tiny offshoot sport of strength training and this is just a message board and the circumstances about this whole debate is ridiculous.

To bicker over this and to first make the accusation and make statements like people are discussing it like little old women off the board makes me cringe.

:blink

These type of debates and bickering turn boards into garbage. We won't have that here. If you want to argue and bicker, question others integrity, make personal shots, GO ELSEWHERE.

Let's get BACK on topic in this thread.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• Arthur Antonopoulos

• David Horne

I read what Burki wrote and looked at the video. I was talking to two others and we all watched the video. We all watched it big screen, small screen and everywhere in between. At first everyone agred it was a classic hook grip, and later after dozens of views we all agreed it was not. I can absolutely see why some would think it was a hook grip. There questions are not wrong to ask, in fact I think it is good to ask. If people see things and then think people are using hooks they will start dismissing results and harbor ill feelings toward someone. If they ask the question and allow the person, or people from the contest to refute it at least they will have an oppertunity to understand.

A better resoution film of this (the original uncompressed version) will clearly show it is not a hook. The way he wrapped his hands was deliberate and appeared to be EXACTLY how you would put them to hook the bar. What was difficult to see on the film is where the thumb was pulled out. It is very hard to see and to be honest I can see where people would think it was not. It looked like a good lift to me.

Nick please do not take offense to people questioning your lifts, nobody is going to question the average lifts that happen all over. Only the great ones, by the best of the best. Consider each question a compliment as you are clearly one of the very best. Every question is another oppertunity to prove that your technique is sound and your lifts are good. Congrats on your victory. I am glad they let you compete under the circumstances you were under. (although I am still shocked Mikael allowed it :tongue ) Mikael clearly wanted to compete against the best, and proved it with his actions at this contest. Don't fear the questions...

It is easier to see that Nick is not hook gripping on his 118k left hand lift.

For the sake of some closure: Nick's Lift (Raw Footage)

I do not wish to encourage further hijacking of this thread - so perhaps any ongoing discussion on this particular matter could be posted in the comments section of the vid?

=========================

On a brighter note, for those who were wondering it was a great comp & a fantastic opportunity to see some amazing efforts from Mikael & Nick. It certainly got me inspired to train harder & smarter for the next comp :D I'm going try to catch up to you guys - and I don't care how many years it takes to get there :shifty

Lurking aussie GB members would be well advised to consider competing in next years comp (Nick's strength levels have to start dropping one day . . . :( )

Dave

On a brighter note, for those who were wondering it was a great comp & a fantastic opportunity to see some amazing efforts from Mikael & Nick. It certainly got me inspired to train harder & smarter for the next comp :D I'm going try to catch up to you guys - and I don't care how many years it takes to get there :shifty

Yes I think you can do a lot better with smarter training as you say. You would probably see the biggest improvement by getting a LGC vbar replica and a Euro pinch set.

If you know your strength level in a given event, you don't need to waist attempts on very easy lifts (like your 95k vbar for example :blink ).

Many make the mistake of starting low and increase the weight in huge jumps. Basically the jumps in weight between the different attempts should decrease. A good example was my pinch series with 80, 85, 88 and then a miss at just over 90. This series allowed me to get close to my max strength on the day. I could do this as I had trained with a Euro pinch set and knew my strength level in this lift.

I got carried away a bit in the left hand vbar by jumping from 151-ish to 158. I should have gone for 155 or so.

Just a quick note that the link I posted to the competition results has now been changed to a new page

http://www.aussiestrength.com/grip.html

From there you can navigate to the results. I have also added the rules and description of the lifts to the page as well as records and rankings (world, national and championship) for the currently standardised lifts if anyone is interested (please let me know if I have anything wrong!).

I'm also more than happy to add any other records and results if anyone wants.