• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• Arthur Antonopoulos

• David Horne

Thank you Jim,

I don't have the exact numbers as Arthur was recording all the weights.

I opened with 160 right and 142 left. Both were easy, especially the 142 left.

Next was 167-ish right which I pulled well above 5cm but dropped it.

With my left I attempted 151 something which was a high and easy pull (I have it on video from a low angle).

In the third round I once again tried 167-ish, did not drop it but it did not clear 5cm.

Lefty I went for 158.5 (around there) for a total WR and pulled it a couple of cm but no go (same scenario in my final left attempt).

In the fourth and final round and managed to just clear 5cm with 167.5-ish. On the floor-level video you can see that the right side of the plates are closer to 10cm high whereas the left/posterior portion appears to have cleared 5cm by a very small margin. My leg is partly covering this area so you can't really be sure. Fortunately Arthur was lying flat on the floor and he saw a little bit air under the lowest part of the plates (we had a 5cm indicator both in front of the weights as well as behind). So basically I got the absolut max out of my right hand on the day but not with my left. I would have been good for about 155-ish lefty I think. Overall getting within 3-4k's of your max strength in vbar in a 4 attempts competition is obviously something I am very pleased with.

Since my last competition in December 2003, I have gained about 10k with my left and 20k with my right. The discrepancy is almost certainly a result of my reverse bending, which builds great pulling strength but also flexibility in the pulling hand.

The two hand total is where it's at.

Yes, I would tend to agree with that statement. I hope we will see several competitions this year in the US where both hands are tested in full.

David Thorton has shown that he can exceed 320k (GGC 2005). Basically I think I will keep this record until David has an opportunity to do a full, both hands competition with a LGC replica. How is your left hand comming along Jim, after your injury?

I will not settle with this record though. The hunt is on, its just that I am the prey now.

I have been giving the idea of testing a FBBC vbar back-to-back against a LGC vbar replica some thought but have decided against it.

They simply have to have the same diametre for a comparison to be meaningful. The larger diametre FBBC bar will give a slight advantage to competitors with a larger hand.

FBBC would have to come up with a 25mm version as this is the original standard (and also in the almost universally accepted metric system).

With a chalked up surface, I doubt there will be much, if any difference in surface texture feel between a LGC vbar and a FBBC vbar. The only difference will be from the different diametre, but this difference is simply unacceptable for record purposes.

FBBC vbar records will never be fully comparable to records set on the slightly narrower LGC vbar.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have finally put up all the results and a write up of the 2006 AGC.

Just go to

www.aussiestrength.com/agc.html

and under the "Contests Results" section is a link to the "2006 Australian Grip Championships". Hope you guys enjoy it and I'll add some pics and video once I get them off Mikael and Dave.

Thanks guys for making it such a great day and I feel sorry for all those who missed out. I'm sure next year's event will be even better, and hopefully I'll hold a couple more in Sydney before then (if anyone is interested).

Also Mikael, there was about a gap of 2-3mm above the 5cm indicator on that v-bar attempt on the left/posterior side.

Also Mikael, there was about a gap of 2-3mm above the 5cm indicator on that v-bar attempt on the left/posterior side.

Well sometimes the luck is on your side I suppose. :D

I think it is to some extent a bit of poor technique to pull up and back, thus creating this tilt that may ruin an otherwise good attempt. It is fairly common from what I have seen.

I got lucky this time but I will try to improve my form so I don't have to risk missing close lifts in the future.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have finally put up all the results and a write up of the 2006 AGC.

Just a little correction. In the pinch I used 64mm, not 60mm. ;)

Clips of Mikael's WR combined total v-bar lifts are now up. -- here --

Further clips will be up in coming days. Any clip with an intro is a successful lift.

I'll post a few failed lifts so that we can all. . :unsure . .share the pain and disappointment.

Dave

Well, I don't know what to say about someone competing after everyone else has finished. Surely that can't be a precedent? During a competition it matters who has done what and all the weight selections make a diffference in the final placings. Seems to me if you aren't there when everyone starts then you can't compete for a placing. You can lift outside the competition. I know that Nick IS gripping in Australia so he was accommodated. However, there are other guys who are doing well, too. There weren't many competitors compared to the past and that is not good, either. I hate to see events in garages and so on. Hey, it is a proud tradition in England, for sure. Nick was still the best regardless of how we see it. I am not taking anything away from him. He is definitely an elite strongman. The others are catching up a bit! Mickael, of course is the champ on the Vertical Bar.

I still wonder about the events and how you judge them. Whenever you have rules that require some sort of discrimination you are always going to have controversy. That is why I made my machine with a lever that fell when a lift was successful. It worked beautifully in every competition we have had. I know I can design machines to test all of these events except the bending. I know the lads don't seem to want grip machines but it could eliminate a lot of judging and so on. It would take some consideration to actually sit down and define what lifting is all about and then come up with ways to exactly test each event.

Well done, fellas, in the bending and other events. Lots of very strong lads there. I think David would have been third had he scored in each event. In the end it has to be fun.

Now I can go back and finish the alterations to my biceps-supinator machine.

Vince, you are definitely a fan of the machines aren't you? :tongue I think that watching people pinch plates is boring...no offense intended, but watching them pinch a stainless steel pinch block attached to a machine or part of a machine would be even more boring in my opinion.

I think that the top pinchers are going to be the strongest on whatever implement you test them on. They'll be stronger than everyone else whether it's nicely machined plates or pinching crisco covered Hammertone slickies from Walmart. :cool

I think it would be easy to cheat (lean/pull to side) on the pinch machine. The Euro setup looks to be the best for contests.

Vince,

Please be respectful and keep this thread free of the stainless steel machine argument.

Thank you.

I wonder if POSTING USING BIG BLUE LETTERS means anything. Other than an inability to not be able to stop ones self from mentioning a machine even though I asked him days ago to knock it off

Awesome stuff! I cant believe i didnt know of this contest as i live in sydney and am a keen gripper!

Is there a mailing list i can get on to hear the next events? At the moment my training consists of crossfit for overall strength anf fitness plus CoC, pinching, deadlifting etc. Id love to meet some other guys around sydney who are mad grippers.

-james

What about Vince's point about competitors competing after the competition? I have to admit this was a surprise to me. I am not suggesting anything but I wonder what peoples opinion of this is? Is this OK going forward? Can competitors compete the next week? There are a lot of questions this does raise that should be talked about. It does change the competition dynamic.

Please do not read anything in to this other than legitimate questions. Mikael I would have guessed you would not allow any WR's from someone who was not in the actual competition. I am not putting words into your mouth but I wonder what your take on this is? Has this ever been done before? Is it OK in the future?

Greg

What about Vince's point about competitors competing after the competition? I have to admit this was a surprise to me. I am not suggesting anything but I wonder what peoples opinion of this is? Is this OK going forward? Can competitors compete the next week? There are a lot of questions this does raise that should be talked about. It does change the competition dynamic.

Please do not read anything in to this other than legitimate questions. Mikael I would have guessed you would not allow any WR's from someone who was not in the actual competition. I am not putting words into your mouth but I wonder what your take on this is? Has this ever been done before? Is it OK in the future?

Greg

I would certainly not accept any records unless they were set on the day of the competition. As for people being allowed to set WR if they compete a couple of hours after the others have finished; I would refer this to the soon to be formed panel for a voting. I would personally probably vote against it.

It was my idea to let Nick compete in the evening rather than not compete at all.

It's good to have calibrated weights in competition but I doubt that the OHL by Nick was within the rules!

Talk about hook grip....

123kg OHL with hook grip?

It wasn't a hooked grip...get your facts right before making accusations!

Greg...I wasn't able to compete in the day because I had a late call for work. We tossed over various ideas about changing the day or everyone competing in the evening. In the end I let everyone else decide and they ALL wanted me to just come and do my lifts in the evening. Not exactly ideal to compete after a 13 hour day at work and for anyone that didn't know I also had an eye infection that turned out to be a piece of glass stuck in my eye. The eye surgeon pulled it out of my eye on friday. I didn't break any records and I wouldnt have claimed any either.

If we want to get into nitty gritty details then thats fine but I would make sure eveyone gets their facts right before they make any further comments. No one competes more fairly and within the rules than I do.

Nick

Oh and Burkhard, for the record my best One hand Deadlift with a HOOK grip is 221kg and it is an official record.

Nick

Greg...I wasn't able to compete in the day because I had a late call for work. We tossed over various ideas about changing the day or everyone competing in the evening. In the end I let everyone else decide and they ALL wanted me to just come and do my lifts in the evening. Not exactly ideal to compete after a 13 hour day at work and for anyone that didn't know I also had an eye infection that turned out to be a piece of glass stuck in my eye. The eye surgeon pulled it out of my eye on friday. I didn't break any records and I wouldnt have claimed any either.

If we want to get into nitty gritty details then thats fine but I would make sure eveyone gets their facts right before they make any further comments. No one competes more fairly and within the rules than I do.

Nick

Nick,

I wasnt even suggesting that you didn't compete fairly. Actually I think it is cool that you were allowed to compete. I was actually interested in Mikaels thoughts about it since I would have guessed he would have a problem with it. He is a stickler for rules and I was surprised when I read that you were doing the events at night. There has been a lot of talk about WRs and criteria and Mikaels draws a pretty hard line. It is OK that he does as long as he is consistent. He seems to be consistent with it so I at least understand where he is coming from. No insult was directed at anyone with my question, certainly not to you.

Greg

It's good to have calibrated weights in competition but I doubt that the OHL by Nick was within the rules!

Talk about hook grip....

123kg OHL with hook grip?

Nick

Second that.. Was surprised Burki made such an accusation against someone who is pretty much considered a legend!

Anyway, hope the eye is all and well.. Pretty trooper like to even compete shortly after such a surgery!