2006 Australian Grip Championships

Arthur Antonopoulos

Hi all,

The 2006 Australian Championships have now been completed with Nick taking it out overall, winning an impressive 4 out of 5 events, Mikael coming in second and Mark Hampton third.

The v-bar total world record was also broken by Mikael, totalling 319.09.

Full results, write up and pictures and video to come soon.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• Arthur Antonopoulos

• David Horne

Way to go everyone!

Congratulations Nick, Mikael, Mark and all the other competitors! That v-bar record not only represents great strength, but balanced lifting. That's about a 700 pound total!

Congratulations Nick, Mikael and all the other competitors! I'm not suprise Mikael! :rock

Congrats Nick, for taking overall!

Well done on the V-bar Mikael!

Thank you all. It was great to meet some grip guys after more than two years of total (grip) isolation in Perth.

I will leave the details for Arthur to post.

I was extremely impressed with Nick's allround ability. No weaknesses at all. A bad inflamation in my left arm (biceps attachment) prevented me from reaching my potential in the bending event, but it is far from a given that I would have won that event even without my injury. In fact I think Nick would still have taken the bending.

I was pleased overall with my performance but disappointed with my gripper performance. Arthur and I are convinced that we ate too many sausages for breakfast. Now is that a good excuse or what. :rolleyes

Everyone seemed to have a good time. Mark melted 8mm HRS bars like they were butter and David is a vbar monster in the making.

Arthur set PR's in several events after making big gains in the vbar. The results also showed the importance of training with equipment as similar to the competition equipment as possible. We were ment to use my vbar but the other guys felt like Arthur's was a bit better. The latter had a lot more chalk on it (more like the ones used in the 2005 GGC and Champion of Champions). Personally I think I would have done a very similar number on either of them.

I would like to thank Arthur and his wife for their hospitality, letting me stay at their place. I was very well fed and they made my stay very pleasant. Eric Milfeld calibrated a lot of the bending stock we were using.

Finally and once again a big congratulation to Nick, a true champion. :rock

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Congratulations to Nick for winning, especially 4/5 :ohmy and to Mikael for breaking the WR! WOW :bow:bow and to everyone who put it on the line and competed. Looking forward to the pics and reports.

I was hoping to be able to attend the contest but Arthur never posted the location then when I realized it was on Saturday I was in town and would have had to drive a long way to access my computer and find out how to contact Arthur. I didn't realize Arthur was married so that was nice to discover.

Australia is a place where lots of people emigrate to and the grip contests demonstrate this. We have had Swedes, Pommes, Canadians, and Yanks compete and place in the contest over the 4 years they have been held.

Those of us who have seen Nick in action know he is an allround strongman and had no known weaknesses. He is a fair dinkum guy and a pleasure to know. I don't think anyone was surprised that he won convincingly again. I think grip contests prove that it is difficult to be the best in all the events. Mickael dominated the verticle bar and raised the record to do so. Well done to anyone who breaks a world record. Some guys can close those grippers like they were toys, others can excel in the hub or bending. I am good just at the various pinch gripping and perhaps the tapered bar vertical lift. I would like to train for the two hand pinch on that apparatus and give Nick and David Horne some competition.

It is a pity I missed meeting Mickael as I would have enjoyed discussing all manner of things with him. I would have liked to have shown him my gym and pinch grip machine. Maybe another time.

The only thing that I wonder about re these grip contests is this business of using steel plates. What is that word you use to help you get a better grip on the chalk coated surface? Seasoning or the deposition of a caked surface. When I read all the trial and error about whether this is better or that I am convinced that using stainless steel will one day be the proper standard. I used a mirror finish but that didn't suit everyone because it was seen that 'stickiness' seemed to be a factor. So there are two arguments. I just cannot endorse the seasoning process as that seems to be giving an advantage. I think everyone should lift on a clean, non-caked surface. Of course, during a competition this might not be convenient because cleaning the chalk from the surfaces makes a mess and contaminates the air. It is a problem, though. Anyway, it hardly matters if everyone is using the same surfaces. I just wonder if comparing lifts on different apparatus is valid. Mickael likes to get things exact so perhaps some of you can think about this.

From my reading of the boards it seems that grip training for competition is a fairly dangerous sport because most of you are reporting injuries.

It might be fun if Arthur held monthly contests where just one event was competed for and then the rest of the hour or two could be used to yap and have a go at other apparatus. Just a thought. We did have some fun at my gym when the grip stuff was there. My gym is still available if you grip lads are interested.

Edited by Vince Basile

Why Vince, why? :blink You don't post for months and then, having briefly mentioned an event you never attended still manage to go back to your fave subject of old - pinch grip, surfaces and your machine. :flame

Pics & Vids update:

Having a few probs uploading the compressed vids at the moment (due I think to a piece of ..:erm.. computer)

Mikael's V-bar lifts should be up tomorrow (will use the work computer)

The Gallery is: Here

Dave

Remeber: Patience is a virtue - just ask Mikael ! :whistel

Many thanks to Arthur, David and Mikael for allowing me to compete later and for helping load all my weights, give me encouragement and keep me in competition mode.

It was great to meet you Mikael, you are a true grip nut and the best is yet to come in your lifting no doubt. Your WR is amazing! Not only that, you DOMINATED the Blob!!! Scary stuff...

David, also true to your tag of being a grip maniac! Haha...sorry I dropped you at the wrong end of town on saturday night but I am sure the view made up for it!! Much like Mikael, David was lifting the Blob like he had been doing it all his life....

Mark, sorry to miss you mate. See you in a few weeks at the mock comp at Arthurs.

Arthur, thanks for the training sessions, for holding the competition and for yours and Suzie's hospitality. That lasagne was delicious!!!!

I was very pleased with all my lifts and for discovering that I am not bad at bending after all. I'm taking a month off grip work now and then looking forward to working my weaker events HARD!

Here's to the next one!

Nick

Congrats Nick, very well done my friend.

Having seen you in person at Davids contest I was pretty sure you'll take the win.

Congrats to Mikael also for a very impressive vbar performance.

Hi all,

The 2006 Australian Championships have now been completed with Nick taking it out overall, winning an impressive 4 out of 5 events, Mikael coming in second and Mark Hampton third.

The v-bar total world record was also broken by Mikael, totalling 319.09.

Full results, write up and pictures and video to come soon.

Congrats to all - make sure to get me some pics, results & the writeup for STRONG! Magazine.

john@strongmagz.com

Well done everyone. Can't wait to see the full results :)

Nick, well done.

Mikael, you are now the v bar king :bow . The two hand total is where it's at.