European Grip Championships 2006

burkhardmacht

I talked to Hermann Korte (organizer of the Euro 2006) about the Europeans today.

The events will be:

1. gripper (parallel set, both hands)

2. 2hand pinch (Euro setup)

3. thumbless onehand deadlift (oly bar, both hands)

4. LGC vbar (both hands)

5. RT thumbless (both hands) (in all probability)

The Europeans will take place in August in Haltern.

Hermann Korte would like to know how many competitors of each nation will compete. So please let me know as early as possible!

He would like to use the grippers used in the last Euros. IMO the 3,8 rated gripper would be nice too.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burkhardmacht

• mobsterone

• Martin_Arildsson

• Mikael Siversson

A lot of thumbless (not a criticism but rather stating the fact). These days the vbar event is placed as the third event after the pinch in most competitions. Having it after a thumbless one hand deadlift will have a negative impact on the weight lifted in the vbar.

Seriously, I think the standardised events grippers, pinch and vbar should always have the same order to make record attempts fair.

Would it be possible to alter the order of events? Some may well want to have a go at the vbar WR at the Euros and this will be considerably harder having the vbar lift as the fourth event.

I am obviously not speaking for myself as I will not have an opportunity to compete in the Euro this year.

Yes, no problem - I think I've mixed something up here! The vbar is the third event for sure!

I'll be competing!

Indeed, two thumbless..

Why not make the one hand dead thumb-over instead of thumbless Burkhard? It's your and Hermann's decision though.

I of course have nothing in it but I would think one thumbless and one with the thumb between the one hand DL and the Rolling Thunder to even things out between the strong thumb and strong wrist groups. My 2 cents.

Guess I might have missed something :blush

But why can't it be

one hand deadlift

-with thumb, actually it really doesn't matter to me because I don't really use my thumb in one hand deadlift

bending (kinking past 60°)?

Take care fellow gripsters :)

Jim:

It's Mr. Kortes decision. For me it doesn't matter if it is with or without thumb because I think I will not compete (only 5th place in the Germans). Mr. Korte told me that he thinks that the thumbless grip more grip related than with thumb.

Martin:

The bending event will be replaced by the RT thumbless in all probability - I think we agreed in the past that the 5th event is the choice of the organizer.

Jim:

It's Mr. Kortes decision. For me it doesn't matter if it is with or without thumb because I think I will not compete (only 5th place in the Germans). Mr. Korte told me that he thinks that the thumbless grip more grip related than with thumb.

Martin:

The bending event will be replaced by the RT thumbless in all probability - I think we agreed in the past that the 5th event is the choice of the organizer.

Ok!

It would be nice to know how many competitors will come! So the hotels/camping sites of the area can be checked early enough.

Great Britain: 3 competitors?

Sweden: 3 ?

Holland: Theo + ?

Swiss: David + ?

who else?

Edited by Burkhard Macht

It would be nice to know how many competitors will come! So the hotels/camping sites of the area can be checked early enough.

Great Britain: 3 competitors?

Sweden: 3 ?

Holland: Theo + ?

Swiss: David + ?

who else?

Sweden have planned to send 3 competitors.

Is Korte adhering to the Euro rules concerning V-bar and 2hand pinch? Especially on the V-bar, will there be a stop like last time?

Germany? 6?

Arne: Thank You for You quick reply!

Theo: we'll have to convince Mr. Korte to do so but that's not the problem I think. Pinch will be done with a stick like in the GGC/CoC and vbar will be discussed.

I can't see me doing any contests this year as it has just turned out to be too busy and expensive. Our baby is due on June 5, then I have my stag-do from July 7-10, then I get married on July 29, and then we go on our honeymoon. An operation on my shoulder could be anytime as well. Also summer is our busiest time at work, so I just can't see it happening.

David

I can't see me doing any contests this year as it has just turned out to be too busy and expensive. Our baby is due on June 5, then I have my stag-do from July 7-10, then I get married on July 29, and then we go on our honeymoon. An operation on my shoulder could be anytime as well. Also summer is our busiest time at work, so I just can't see it happening.

David

Oh, that's bad and good news at the same time! Sorry to hear that You can't compete - but happy for Your family luck! Hey, I get married June 24 - so let's see if we can meet while our honeymoon to have a grip session! :laugh

Good luck for Your operation!

Theo: we'll have to convince Mr. Korte to do so but that's not the problem I think. Pinch will be done with a stick like in the GGC/CoC and vbar will be discussed.

You may find it hard to get people to travel to Germany if you depart from the standard rules in vbar as well as grippers.

I don't even think organisers should be allowed to depart from the standard rules in these events if they want to call it the European Championship. No steps back please. We have worked hard to standardise things.

I agree that 2 thumbless events are a bit redundant. Would prefer that one of these two events is WITH thumb (probably the One hand dead, as RT with thumb will be affected by the pinch quite strongly I think)

Shame about David again not competing this year, considering he is probably the best in Europe (although Martin is coming out really well).

Hope I can make it again this year. Will organize a swiss comp around april, and it'd be nice if two people could qualify for the euro at my comp.

I will compete as long as I get rid of that crap chronical tendonitis in my left wrist.

David: I'll talk to Mr. Korte again if we can have a OHL with thumb - it seems that several people would prefer that.

Mikael: I don't know why You think that we will have other rules in the gripper event than in the last Euros. I've already asked in this thread if we can have the original grippers for the event "grippers parallel set both hands".

Concerning the vbar event: Look what You have written in the 101kg pinch video of Martin - " lowering under control" and "no slamming down. "

I've talked several hours with Mr. Korte about the Euro. It would be nice if You (and others) acknowledge that I try to arrange as much as possible here between Mr. Korte and the Gripboard. I know that it's impossible to satisfy all competitors. BTW, I will not compete in all probability - so there's absolutely no reason but good will to arrange - You see??

Mikael: I don't know why You think that we will have other rules in the gripper event than in the last Euros. I've already asked in this thread if we can have the original grippers for the event "grippers parallel set both hands".

Sorry, I ment the vbar only. My mistake.

Concerning the vbar event: Look what You have written in the 101kg pinch video of Martin - " lowering under control" and "no slamming down. "

And how does this relate to vbar? :...and vbar will be discussed...

This statement of yours indicates that standard rules may not be adhered to. Correct me if I misunderstood this.

I've talked several hours with Mr. Korte about the Euro. It would be nice if You (and others) acknowledge that I try to arrange as much as possible here between Mr. Korte and the Gripboard. I know that it's impossible to satisfy all competitors. BTW, I will not compete in all probability - so there's absolutely no reason but good will to arrange - You see??

Yes we all appreciate your work.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

A few moments ago I talked to Mr. Korte.

The OHL will be done with the thumb now - I hope everyone is pleased now.

Mikael: the vbar event wil be done under standard rules!

Yes, much better.

The RT thumbless is an underrated exercise for the wrists.

I gained more in levering by doing RT thumbless than I did when I actually trained levering.

Burki: How slowly do you want me to lower the weight? :) As long as you hold the plats/barbell on the way down it should be ok, just like when lowering the barbell when doing deadlift at a PL contest. But that's just my opinion.

Wich contest is a qualifier for the Euros? And what placing should you get, top 3? Or is participating in a previous euro enough to get yourself in the Euro? :)

Burki, could you find this out?

And yes, your effort are well appreciated!

Burki: How slowly do you want me to lower the weight? :) As long as you hold the plats/barbell on the way down it should be ok, just like when lowering the barbell when doing deadlift at a PL contest. But that's just my opinion.

Not fully comparable. In the deadlift you wait for a down signal. We are not really talking about specific pinch rules for the 2006 Europeans as the organisers have agreed on adhering to the standard pinch rules. Rather than asking Burki you should ask David Horne above all. He is one of the co-founders of the standard events and constructed the pinch apparatus. This is not something to agree upon on a national level as we want the same rules to apply for all contests, be it in Europe, North America or Australia.