"the Formulator"

Dave Lemanczyk

any users have any idea how their formulator wrist curl poundages correlate to their bb wrist curl poundages? Are they about equal, once the leverage is figured in for the formulator?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joeyg

• nickr104

• kelby

• Cunny

Top Posters In This Topic

How many guys would at least try a Formulator and give it a fair shot if it were available for free?

I certainly would I think it's a fantastic piece of equipment judging from my HM version.

3crusher,

I'm sure it is great piece of equipment. I can just tell from the design that is would work well and that it would be a great addition to my arsenal of toys...However, it is very expensive for what amounts to no more than $20 in materials.

If it sold for half of it's current price, I would purchase one.

There are plate loaded grip machines that can be bought in that price range. I could buy all the sledges I could ever want for the price of one formulator.

It's not a magic piece of equipment. Like bearcat pointed out, it still takes hard work to get results. The price tag is just too much. Not that i can't afford it, i could go out and buy 10 of them now and not blink, but the point is that for what it is, it's too pricey.

How many guys would at least try a Formulator and give it a fair shot if it were available for free?

I would in a heartbeat. I am patiently waiting for a chance to try Scott Styles's formulator at a future get together. I hear all the complaints about the formulator and I think it boils down to:

1) It is 150 bucks - I don't exactly see why this is a reason to get mad. Specialty equipment that is not for general use and made in lower quantities always costs more. IT MAY not provide enough value over barbell curls for an individual but that is a personal choice. It shouldn't exactly get you mad. Anyone angry at Porsche because their cars are expensive? :tongue I also do not believe it is accurate to tell someone who cannot afford it and say that saving alone will solve the problem. If they do save money it may be that the money could go to better use. If they do not feel that 150 dollars is a fair price then it is an opinion, and they are entitiled to it. I just don't see why we are angry about it.

2) I think the Ad copy around the thing puts some people off. Sometimes when you read things it just sounds so pushed on you that you naturally pull away. This does not change the relative merits of the product but may infact close some minds to it. I think reasonable people will recognize the "spin" that is on some products and that "spin" does turn some people off. I am not trying to be a jerk here, just stating what I believe people feel.

3) Personal. I know people who will not buy it no matter what because of personal issues with one of the sources of the product. I am not trying to be mean about this either but it is infact true. The people who are most backing the products seem to be friends with the individual and those most angry about it seem to have an issue with the person. Those that do not like an individual can buy the product from another source so I hope that a personal beef with one guy taints the relative merit of the product itself.

Me- I intend to buy one assuming I find it useful. I would very much like to try Scott's and see if it is something that I will like. If I do buy one I will purchase it from a source I feel comfortable with and that will be a personal decision. I believe the positive opinions coming from people. I believe Dave L really likes the product, I personally felt his review was a little to Ad like but I believe it was written that way based on his excitement about the product as I know he will not make any money on any purchases. This is no disrespect to Dave, I hope he finds my comment about this as honest and not intended to insult him personally.

Greg

Regarding the price, I spoke to Dan Hartman (VP of sales for The Forumlator) on the phone when I ordered mine. He had 10 scheduled to be bulit and go out last week. Mine might make it into that batch, or it might not get out until the next batch this week.

This is not a large scale operation we are talking about. It sounds like a couple guys in the US hand making a product that they already invested time in developing. On top of the costs of parts, they have to cover labor, product development, marketing, and office overhead.

Also of interest, Dan seemed to strongly believe that the design of the Formulator was a step up from PDA's Pegasus. To the point where he was encouraging me to get both products and do a comparison for my website. I'm not willing to spend the money, but it makes me think they tried and evolved upon the "hand dard" idea as part of their product development.

What finally sealed the deal for me was it's a relatively low-risk purchase. I'm confident if despite all my research I don't like it, I can sell it used for what I paid minus just a couple bucks. The demand is there.

I really wish it would get here so I could spend my time playing with it instead of talking about it.

it boils down to this IMO if you want quality then spend the extra money! The rope discussion that happened was along the same lines. Can I go buy the materials to buld one of these? Yes but I pay for somone to build things and for it to be of high craftmansship. Has anyone yet heared of a forumlator being broke or not working? I will pay extra anyday of the week for quality products, great customer service, and something that is a proven piece of equipment.

This has been building up all morning but I'm going to try and sequence my thoughts here.

What originally drew me to the gripboard were people from Dragondoor promoting the site as an awesome resource to get grip based knowledge. I haven’t gotten a kettlebell yet, mainly due to monetary and time issues. The great thing about gripping is it can be such a cheap and rewarding – dare I say hobby. I don’t own the formulator yet. Someday down the road I definitely would like to pick it up. I think some people are missing the point of gripping in general. The grip tools we use are a means to an end – but individually are by no means the answer. Almost anything can be utilized to develop someone’s grip from something as cheap to a piece of paper, or more expensive such as the formulator, axle, etc. If you think the formulator is a piece of junk, don’t get it… but on your wrist curls or whatever else you are doing. Same goes for the opposite. Like the others have said before… regardless of what you are using… it is how you are using it.

I would definitely try one if it were for free. I have made my own homemade version, which like jad's is great for extensor work but sucks for regular wrist curls.

I think the hype surrounding the product is a little over the top, which is not helped by the ad copy (which is a topic I have already beaten to death).

The formulator looks like it is great at what it does.

Based on the deleted posts I just read in the Moderator Forum, this thread is now done. No sense in waiting for more flaming to be posted. Thanks