"the Formulator"

Dave Lemanczyk

I moved this thread here where it belongs.

Let's keep things civil and let's avoid having the GB clicks use this thread as a battle ground. Or, I will start banning until attitudes improve. :calm:laugh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joeyg

• nickr104

• kelby

• Cunny

Top Posters In This Topic

I made one in my garage for $14.83 in parts. I used Pdoire's design. I named it the fourteeneightythree-ulator as a joke. Great piece of equipment, best thing out there to hit your extensors IMO. I have never tried a real one so I don't know how it compares. I will say that after a workout, I literally can't type. I have to wait for awhile to log my workout because I literally just can't use the keyboard, fingers just won't react to what the brain is telling them to do. I suppose I could peck with one finger but you get the idea. I haven't tried the real one but I seriously doubt it's going to work me that much harder, especially considering the cost difference. My only complaint with the HM one, is that like Climber alluded to I can never do wrist curls. I tried once with 50lbs, did one rep and could tell the wood wasn't going to hold so I quit. I enjoy bb wrist curls anyway so this is just a minor annoyance. If I ever get to where I need around 50# for reverse wrist curls on it then I'll either rebuild or look into buying the real thing, but until that point there is just no need. I think FHS would sell more if they lowered their price but who knows...I sure don't know their profit margin, maybe they can't lower their price? Maybe they can and just don't want to? I don't see why people get so upset over the price, if it's too high, just don't buy it.

Chris nice writeup. A couple of questions for you. In the link that was given above, you posted a response where you liked the concept and were going to fire up the welder and build one? Since you make quality equipment, did you end up making one but bought the real deal anyway? And two, finger curls, could you discribe how to perform them? Are they like standard wrist curls except you are letting the bar roll down your fingers?

A quick description of the way I do finger curls. I set a bar in the power rack just a few inches below where my hands hang. Grab the bar with a curl grip, stand up straight, then allow the bar to "roll" down the fingers as far as possible without rolling out of your hand. The wrists stay straight, no wrist curl action at all. Then just close your hand until you have completely closed your grip, which will not be a completely closed hand with big weights; be sure you keep your arms straight. As the weight gets heavy, you may end up sort of rolling the bar up your thighs, don't worry about it, just slap on a couple more plates and go again. Use a regular Olympic bar, not an oversized fat bar of any kind. Start with a medium weight, do maybe sets of 3 to 5 reps - adding weight each set. And yes 300# is very doable over time - I'd venture to say double bodyweight is doable for some people. I need to do another round of them myself - they truely are a great movement. You can also do these DO as well, it's easier to learn this way but limits weight compared to the curl method and I find the cheat and negative of the thigh roll to be very valuable for strength.

if we start adding gimmicks like formulator

I can assure you that the Formulator is not a "gimmick." Never used a Formulator have you? Then your descriptive word gimmick, is superflous at best.

Nick, climber, and hubgeezer's reviews are great. It is nice to see the results and correlations to the feats we are training for.

I bought a formulator last year for more than $200 (shipping to Asia) even it's more than an average monthly salary in our country.I don't have any single regret on it.If you can buy one ,it would the best tool for you.if you can't buy one, just comment when you are able to own one.I hate people talking on something that they haven't experienced on.Just like a university professor teaching business course but never done any entrepreneur/business in his whole life.

I bought a formulator last year for more than $200 (shipping to Asia) even it's more than an average monthly salary in our country.I don't have any single regret on it.If you can buy one ,it would the best tool for you.if you can't buy one, just comment when you are able to own one.I hate people talking on something that they haven't experienced on.Just like a university professor teaching business course but never done any entrepreneur/business in his whole life.

Dmitri,

I don't see why we can't comment on things we haven't experienced. I'm sure most of the country has an opinion on our president...does that mean everyone should shut up because they haven't been president?

I will comment all I want on any products I choose.

I don't need to own the formulator to know that it is made with $10 worth of steel and that is overpriced. The person selling it built up his tremendous grip strength before the formulator, just like people will continue to do so.

If the price drops to a reasonable amount, say $50, i would probably buy one. For now, it is way too expensive and I can get similar results using other exercises. Like I said earlier, i'll just build my.

Im sure John is quietly watching all this and probly wanting to reach through the moniter and crush some skulls.He made it, let him charge what he wants, and dont rag on his shit if you havent tried it.I dont have one, maybe when Im rich.

Dmitri,

I don't see why we can't comment on things we haven't experienced. I'm sure most of the country has an opinion on our president...does that mean everyone should shut up because they haven't been president?

I will comment all I want on any products I choose.

I don't need to own the formulator to know that it is made with $10 worth of steel and that is overpriced. The person selling it built up his tremendous grip strength before the formulator, just like people will continue to do so.

If the price drops to a reasonable amount, say $50, i would probably buy one. For now, it is way too expensive and I can get similar results using other exercises. Like I said earlier, i'll just build my.

You said it right,It's an opinion.But your opinion doesn't make you a president.Just a critc maybe?

You don't have to own a formulator if you can't afford one.You can always build a homemade version.

I'm planning to buy ther IM Tugs sometime next week.But until I get hold of it I can't say if it's a good product or not.There's are other things that you don't need experience in order to learn from it (ex. drugs,).Sourgraping is not my cup of tea.

As mentioned in previous posts, formulator is not the only equipment you need.It just help your workout becomes more simple and fast w/ good results.I still practice w/ blobs, wrist roller , levering etc.but definitely no more traditional wrist curls w/ DB.

I only comments on what I have experienced. If we all hear comments from non-owners then we doesn't learn any facts/actual experience from this forum but opinions.hearsay and or worst, rumors.

When you read the ad on John's site, it's apparent that he didn't design, develop, or make it. He found it at a trade show, tried it and believed that it had enough value that he wanted to sell it among his list of products. It is sold on the other Formulator site as well for a similiar price.

The difference between a replica and the real formulator is nonexistent. There is no secret mechanism that only the real formulator has.

It just isn't worth the outrageous price tag, IMO.

The difference between a replica and the real formulator is nonexistent. There is no secret mechanism that only the real formulator has.

So, are you saying you have physicaly performed a comparison?

When you read the ad on John's site, it's apparent that he didn't design, develop, or make it. He found it at a trade show, tried it and believed that it had enough value that he wanted to sell it among his list of products. It is sold on the other Formulator site as well for a similiar price.

Products should be based on it's merits/effectiveness not on the price.It may be expensive but if it could save on something (space, time etc) and provide results then why not.If a product is $10 or free but it is not effective,time consuming etc then I wouldn't take it.

I always consider a product if there are good comments post by those who have brought the product.Just like PDA's Pegasus, If there are at least 5 good remarks by owners.Then definitely I would take a good look at it.

If the affordabiltiy of purchasing a new equipment is the only reason that hinders you from getting it.Then it should be your problem not of the product itself.

True,he acknowledged it. But their shipping price (international) is cheaper and their customer service is excellent!

Did not know that. Or that he didnt make it.

Edited by JoeGrip

hey, ironmind makes damn good grippers. i mean the damn good. and they don't charge them two hundred dollars a piece. common you guys. if you had to choose formulator or grippers which one would you choose. i would choose grippers anyday. and they don't cost a damn fortune. what i am saying is, it is over priced. like all of his stuff. over priced over hyped up. hell i made one for nothing. and don't tell me, it does not work the same. and i still think barbell curls and reverse curls are better. i doubt very much if formulator can get you to three hundred pound wrist curls. and i doubt very much it can make your wrist stronger than good old wrist curls. when i use it, sure it feels good and comfortable, but it is nice to have some little pain that wrist curls give you. i also have been doing rope chin ups for some time. and the way john describes it in his website, like you can crush anything from doing exercises using a rope is a bunch of bull. hell, matt furey even wrote an article on rope climbing. they are hype up everything, just so suckers can buy them. i weigh two hundred pounds and i can chin myself on a two inch rope twenty times. i still can't close the threes, and my hands are not much stronger for gripping or levering or anything. more blisters then anything. now i think i will go back to the grippers. and wrist curls. formulator you just use your wrist, and leave out the other important parts of the hand like your fingers. which i think is not as effective. i like to use everything when i do wrist curls. i always hear people say i cant do wrist curls it hurts, or barbell curls or squats, so they go looking for the easy way out. i mean i have been doing wrist curls for fifteen to twenty years along with squat etc. and i do feel pain during training. like wrist curls. i hear bones and feel aches, but thats part of hard training. and from time to time i get sore. but i wouldn't buy anything that woulld make it easier. i got strong,i was using 225 for barbell wrist curls 8 reps, using my whole hands fingers and all. i doubt if the formulator alone could get me there. so, young guys, if you want strong wrists, wrist curl two three hundred pounds. do good old fashion hard work. and bear cat do you honestly thing formulator alone can get you wrist curling two to three hundred pounds.

Grip master John Wood is an extremely humble man. I have personally witnessed him perform incredible feats of grip strength and flexibility in an extremely calm and positive manner. As an educated man and the son of a former professional football strength coach, I understand exactly where he is coming from. In one word, experience.

"The Formulator" on his web site www.functionalhandstrength.com, is the finest accessory piece of equipment I have ever implemented for my lower arms. "The Formulator" is available from a man (John Wood) who is a Grip Master and who also implements "The Formulator" in his own personal physical training.

Do you think using "The Formulator" will improve you physically?

Honestly, if it doesn't work for you it is definitely because you failed to put in the proper effort. This lower arm developer is the finest and one that ALL professional athletes and non-professional athletes should be implementing for their lower arms.

I mention professional athletes first because most athletics require a great deal of lower arm specific work. Athletes also make their living using their bodies physically; therefore they need it to perform at the highest possible level. If they do not work, sometimes they will not be paid.

Doesn't this also sound like a manual laborer? There are no coincidences.

Does it make sense for someone who works on a performance basis be prepared to perform in their sport/employment by using "The Formulator"?

I know the answer to these questions and the current and former athletes/employees know as well; yes.

Anyone who does not participate in athletics needs to improve their lower arms simply because grip training is as essential as breathing. We all need improvement and this physical tool enables you to unlock the potential in your lower arms through leverage. You NEED strong, durable and flexible lower arms without excuses.

John Wood has given this one out for the world to take. When you use "The Formulator" you will understand my words. Full ranges of motion and all ranges of motion. This is a gift. I would advise each and every one of you to save your money and purchase "The Formulator". There is no substitute for this piece of equipment as homemade versions are not even close to the real thing. This is a piece of equipment that I continually advocate to any athlete I work with or speak with regarding lower arm specific training. Watch things happen!

Sincerely,

Dave Lemanczyk

For what it is worth this does NOT appear to be a "product review".

This is a "letter of endorsement" for the company marketing The Formulator and that also endorses/recommends the product itself.

Not like most "product reviews"that I've ever read.

do good old fashion hard work. and bear cat do you honestly thing formulator alone can get you wrist curling two to three hundred pounds.

Yes, I do. Do I think that just screwing around with the Formulator will get you there, no. As I said earlier, and it is your main point in every post, YOU GOTTA WORK HARD! I don't care what you use, WORK HARD!

Also, since all of John's stuff is overpriced, have you checked around? Because if you have, you will see that the stuff he sells is the same price as other places.

A quick description of the way I do finger curls. I set a bar in the power rack just a few inches below where my hands hang. Grab the bar with a curl grip, stand up straight, then allow the bar to "roll" down the fingers as far as possible without rolling out of your hand. The wrists stay straight, no wrist curl action at all. Then just close your hand until you have completely closed your grip, which will not be a completely closed hand with big weights; be sure you keep your arms straight. As the weight gets heavy, you may end up sort of rolling the bar up your thighs, don't worry about it, just slap on a couple more plates and go again. Use a regular Olympic bar, not an oversized fat bar of any kind. Start with a medium weight, do maybe sets of 3 to 5 reps - adding weight each set. And yes 300# is very doable over time - I'd venture to say double bodyweight is doable for some people. I need to do another round of them myself - they truely are a great movement. You can also do these DO as well, it's easier to learn this way but limits weight compared to the curl method and I find the cheat and negative of the thigh roll to be very valuable for strength.

Chris,

Thanks for the discription. Sounds like a great exercise, I am amazed that it doesn't get more publicity as it sounds like a really good one. Thanks again.

I also tried a homemade version of the Formulator. Obviously it didn't perform as the real thing would, but it allowed me to see the benefit of taking the thumb out of the reverse wrist curl. Personaly I don't get any pain from wrist curls and when I do reverse ( with DB's) I just use a hook grip - with the thumb under my index finger. I think that if you can't do barell/DB wrist curls, it's a great idea - but for me, I can't see spending that kind of money on it.

Edited by Fissure

do good old fashion hard work. and bear cat do you honestly thing formulator alone can get you wrist curling two to three hundred pounds.

Yes, I do. Do I think that just screwing around with the Formulator will get you there, no. As I said earlier, and it is your main point in every post, YOU GOTTA WORK HARD! I don't care what you use, WORK HARD!

Also, since all of John's stuff is overpriced, have you checked around? Because if you have, you will see that the stuff he sells is the same price as other places.

so, you are saying with hard hard work. formulator can get you to the three hundred pounds wrist curls. i say. bull. two totally different styles and technique. wrist curls uses alot more muscles then formulator. its like saying work hard at formulator and you will close the threes. not true.

:laugh funny stuff going on here. :laugh I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the formulator guys. If that is really what we are talking about in this thread. Edited by nickr104

Heres my thoughts on the formulator. Im a competitive armwrestler. When I first got into the sport I had to stop doing wrist curls completely as my wrists were just to beat up from armwrestling practice. There was no way I could do the barbell wrist curls, plate wrist curls etc. The formulator was a life saver for me and allowed me to train my wrists heavy without the extra joint pain I was getting from the barbell. So for me it was a great investment and has played a huge role in my armwrestling success and I owe alot to it and to John for recomending it. Does it work more muscles or work the targeted muscles harder then a barbell would? I have no idea but in my example it does as I couldnt use enough weight in the wrist curl to get a good workout. Just my 2 cents. . .