Tarheel Bits And Pieces

1stCoC

I for one had a wonderful day at the Tarheel grip contest. It was well run and everyone supporting each other. Chad was in a class of his own but my gosh there were so many fine performances.My son Bert and 16 year old Meatball got their feet wet with some gutsy performances on equipment and events they had never tried before. I am truly impressed with ol' Climber 511 Chris Rice a great competitor AND great grip. The Original blob was Lifted to full pulls for the first time I EVER witnessed By Tommy Heslep and Chad Woodall. Chad even lifted it by the face!We had some fun with a 50lb 6inch wide block,the Inch Replica and some other blobs. I felt pretty good and got a blob some distance up with two fingers and thumb for the first time. I was pretty suprized when I test pulled on the 135lb 2.5" handle "final dumbell" used in the Medely and cleaned it with no warmup.We did bat around the idea having a grip fest at our facility one day soon! Many thanks to Anson for the hospitality and great memories!

Thank you once again for your support, Richard. I'm very glad you guys had fun. It was great to see you and your crew there. Bert and Meat put up very good performances, especially considering they haven't trained the events. You continue to amaze me with your strength. I hope we can make the trip down to SC soon.

Good to hear this kind of stuff. Great stories.

-Jedd-

What does Richard mean when he said he never witnessed anybody lifting the original blob? Has he not had it out for use much?

Great job chad on getting the Blob by the face!

I'm getting a blob50 in the mail pretty soon, maybe one of these decades I'll join you and Jedd in that club!

THe original Blob IS harder than the newer ones. It' s much fatter. I pulled on it some and Just got a tiny bit of air under it. It was great that you guys could come Richard and that the boys could jump in and do the comp as well. I think they did very well for it being the first time they have done a lot of the events! Nice job guys!

Richard, I'm quite certain Heath Sexton fully pulled the original Blob several times at NOS2. I know he's also dominated the other original blob now owned by Steve Weiner, which was once owned by Dr. Ken Leistner on numerous occasions. This is the one that is autographed from you to RJS.....

I have had the original Blob since the early 80s and of the countless numbers that have tried Only Tommy and Chad have been successful on full pulls. My best with it was to place it on top of a 41" high shelf some years ago.The other blobs at the contest felt very different to me and easy to hold, when placed next to the original looked different when viewed from above.

Here is the video of Chad.chadblobs

Term... as I think Heath recalled correctly to me I brought a 46 1/2 and the Blob. No one lifted the Blob except Sean Dockery who got it up 8-10 inches. I have the picture of him trying it. I am sure Heath could manhandle it now if given the opportunity.

Richard,

As you may recall me telling you, I was lucky enough to purchase (more like rescue and adopt) one of your original blobs from Iron Island gym. There was an inscription on the blob that has since just about worn off from all my lame attempts at lifting it, but it was made out to Randy Strossen (I believe Dr. Strossen still has the one made out to Dr. Ken Leistner) that said "What Man Can Lift Me" and has your signature underneath the inscription. Heath Sexton easily lifted this blob in December, 2002 at Pat Povilaitis' house. The video is on the Grip Board, and in it, he is lifting another blob in his other hand that is 51 pounds. That other blob was given to Pat by Bob Bollenbach and is half of a really weird old style York dumbbell whose ends were shaped more like an aspirin tablet and is way easier to lift than the typical blob that everybody is used to seeing.

Here is the link to Heath's double blob lift. Please see the video in the upper right hand corner.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/albun00?page=1

Enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

I want to add a bit to what Richard said about his clean of the 2.5" - 135# final medley DB. I watched him as he walked up, grabbed it and pulled, up it flew, darn near over his head - it wasn't so much a clean as a slightly short power snatch! He also walked up to a 275# v-bar and lifted it up and just held it there - I'm trying to talk him into competeing next time - not too sure that's a good idea any more < < . I tried to talk Eric into competing also - judging from the damage he did to everything he touched after the meet, glad he didn't sign up either. Thanks Eric for the piece of chain for my grandson. I've looked forward to meeting Eric in person for some time now - he's a real class act - and darn strong! Bert Sorin has some awful big shoes to fill considering who his dad is but he stepped right into the grip world and signed up to compete. Guys, here's a world class athlete with the stones to try something way outside his home turf of hammer throwing. So when you post on the board all about how you don't want to compete until this or until that, remember this guy! Meatball - what can you say about a 16 year old kid who can already put his fingers thru a raw potato - yep he did one - I watched it. No one has mentioned Tommy doing it several times for us - thanks a lot - looks like it hurts a bunch! Tommy is a real freak and I do mean that in a good way - that boy grips like he weighs 400#.

Greg , John, Kevin - three new boys with small hands but big grips, they hung in with the veterans till the very end. I could write something about everyone there, and I will at different times, I'm sure. Only one more thing I want to say - I am going to learn to set a gripper - just so Dave and Tommy will quit laughing at me! Anson and Jonathon helped me a little with it at Ansons house later that night. Oh PS - Dave told me he thinks he might actually go home and train for the next contest - look out fellows!

This contest sounded like it was freakin' awesome. Sorry I couldn't be there to witness all this freakish stuff. Good job everybody.

-Jedd-

I'll tell you what, this contest has inspired me to expand my grip training. Up to this point, I have only trained grippers and messed around with pinch a little bit. I had such a good time that I just placed an order for a Vbar and two thick handeled dumbbells (2" and 2.5"). I alread have an 8lb hammer and I think that the contest shows that is enough for me right now. :erm

I have a lot of hard work to do and nothing but time to do it in. Seeing folks like Chris and Richard who may be seasoned but by no way over the hill accomplishing feats that guys half their age still can't do is truely inspiring. You guys rock! :rock

Once again, thanks to all you vetrans who helped out a newbie with events that I'd never done before! With a lot of hard work (and a whole lot of luck) hopefully I won't be competing for next to last place the next contest I am in. :)

pc

Just as an aside .......I sit here this morning looking at my steel scroll art presented to me by Eric "Hammerhead" at the contest and marvel what strength and determination it takes to do such bending. The awards he made were awesome and are personal... just great stuff! The thickness of steel and the control he has to make graceful bends just amazes me. His scrollwork will be in a place of honor for all to see! I see great things ahead for him. RS

Just as an aside .......I sit here this morning looking at my steel scroll art presented to me by Eric "Hammerhead" at the contest and marvel what strength and determination it takes to do such bending. The awards he made were awesome and are personal... just great stuff! The thickness of steel and the control he has to make graceful bends just amazes me. His scrollwork will be in a place of honor for all to see! I see great things ahead for him. RS

I totally agree...the scroll I received was just outstanding work and creativity :rock Erik has a true talent...and is extremely strong :rock

Chad was in a class of his own...

The Original blob was Lifted to full pulls for the first time I EVER witnessed By Tommy Heslep and Chad Woodall. Chad even lifted it by the face!

I'm not surprised by Chad's grip prowess!! I lent him my BLOB for him to train with, and he showed both me and Steve Reagan some of his lifts with it - it was awe inspiring! :D:bow

I recently looked at a video of Chad "Tall Timber" Woodall and was amazed at his overall power and Athletic prowess. I did not fully realize he was such a well rounded strongman. It goes to show working the entire package only results in superior performances! I have always thought that a strong grip was the icing on the cake AFTER becoming a strong person first. Way to go Chad!

I recently looked at a video of Chad "Tall Timber" Woodall and was amazed at his overall power and Athletic prowess. I did not fully realize he was such a well rounded strongman. It goes to show working the entire package only results in superior performances! I have always thought that a strong grip was the icing on the cake AFTER becoming a strong person first. Way to go Chad!

Thanks, Mr. Sorin...these very kind words mean a lot to me.

Chad you don't have to say thanks......you EARNED my respect! I am glad as the torch gets passed it falls into worthy hands! RS