1" Vertical Bar

bencrush

I know I'll probably never get 400, but now I have reason to hope for 350 one day. Cool.

Well not with THAT attitude!

Nice lifts and PR's and I like your Right....Left format. May have to steal that like I have stolen everything else from you!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• DuTCH

Lookin' good, Ben!

Well, I just had the best v-bar workout of my whole entire lifetime! :tongue But really, it's so nice to make a big jump in weight after maintaining, or even losing strength, for months on end in this event.

2-12-2006

Right...................Left

213x1.................213x1

258x1.................258x1

310.5x1 (PR).......300.5x1 (PR)

320.5x1 (PR).......308 miss

328 miss.............300.5x1

I know I'll probably never get 400, but now I have reason to hope for 350 one day. Cool.

GREAT lifts Eric! :rock

Thanks, guys! I really think this thread is helping my v-bar lifting. Hopefully everyone will have the same experience.

Would anyone mind sharing their hand placement? I'm still undecided as to whether I can pull more placing the bar directly in my palm or just above my palm callouses where my fingers meet my palm? I try to watch videos of it but they're arent many that show it clearly.

I press my thumb webbing into the bar as tightly as possible. I guess this would mean I lift it more with my palm, if I understand your question correctly.

Once you get used to the pain it's, in my experience, not a huge difference where you place it. When I rep it I just grab it from above with no 'setting' to speak of and I am just as strong. It is a good idea to get used to several bar positions in the hand. If you rip your skin you can then place the bar further up or down in the palm and continue your workout or competition lifts.

The skin is however usually thicker in the palm than it is at the base of the fingers so it is typically less painful to place it in the palm. Above all, stay away from max lifts in training. You don't need to go all out in order to get stronger. Better to do several singles at 90 per cent than one or two at 100 per cent and rip your skin. If you loose skin, make sure it is on the final, all out lift in a competition.

2-18-2006

Left.....................Right

213x1...............213x1

213x1...............213x3

283x1...............303x1

I tried to incorporate a little more volume today, but it seems my hands really can't take it. The weight being lifted doesn't seem to be much of a factor. After about 7 sets, or so, I feel as if anything else would be risking a skin tear. I guess I could go all the way down to 200 pounds, but I doubt that would be all that the effective. Oh well, the workout felt good, and all the lifts were powerful.

2-18-2006

Left.....................Right

213x1...............213x1

213x1...............213x3

I tried to incorporate a little more volume today, but it seems my hands really can't take it. The weight being lifted doesn't seem to be much of a factor. After about 7 sets, or so, I feel as if anything else would be risking a skin tear. I guess I could go all the way down to 200 pounds, but I doubt that would be all that the effective. Oh well, the workout felt good, and all the lifts were powerful.

Great workout Eric :rock

2-20-06

1" VERTICAL BAR

-221-->at least 2"-both hands

-306-->nothing-right hand (stopped before injury)

-at least 2"-left hand

-333-->hovered-left hand

-at least 2"-left hand ***PR!*** :)

Notes: I had my fiancee witness my 2nd attempt on 333. She said that I pulled it closer to 4 or 5" off the ground. Felt like it was higher than that even. New PR by 2 pounds though. I haven't pulled over 320 since November when I did my 331. And I was pretty jacked up then due to the MM2 cert.

2-20-06

1" VERTICAL BAR

-at least 2"-left hand

-333-->hovered-left hand

Notes: I had my fiancee witness my 2nd attempt on 333. She said that I pulled it closer to 4 or 5" off the ground. Felt like it was higher than that even. New PR by 2 pounds though. I haven't pulled over 320 since November when I did my 331. And I was pretty jacked up then due to the MM2 cert.

Congrats Ben :rock

2-20-06

1" VERTICAL BAR

-at least 2"-left hand

-333-->hovered-left hand

Great job Ben! That's an awesome weight.

pc

Thanks a LOT guys! This log is already working its magic on us all. We're all getting stronger very quickly. :rock

2-25-2006

Not much to report today. I felt totally worn out. I assume it was due to my hard bending workout yesterday. Normally I'll bend after v-bar.

Left.................Right

288 (failed)......308 (failed)

After this, to my surprise, I had a really good thick bar workout. Ain't that the way it always goes!

I got my FBBC 1" vbar yesterday and only pulled 221 on it. So I wasn't sure if that was due to a very long day at work (@ 16 hours) or tender hands. Or just being weak. < <

So today I rubbed a bunch of chalk on the handle, and let it sit in a bucket of chalk overnight to see if I could speed up the seasoning process a bit. I think it worked.

3-2-06

FBBC 1" VERTICAL BAR

-186-->at least 2"-both hands

-231-->at least 2"-both hands

-256-->at least 2"-both hands

-306-->nothing-right hand

-at least 2"-left hand :rock

Notes: Got the 306 on video and sent it to Wannagrip to see if he would post it. Also sent it to John Beatty to see if he will approve it for a cert video. I think it was lifted 2" or more. Not sure though.

Once this bar seasons all the way I expect 350 to rise.

Nice pullin', Ben!

3-2-2006

Well, my v-bar was way off, yet again, today. For the first time ever my hand actually slipped right off the bar as it remained motionless on the floor. :blink It's gotta get better.

Left........................Right

283 (fail)................283

You wouldn't think that a one hand grip event, like v-bar, could vary by 40 pounds from workout to workout. Frustrating, to say the least.

My vbar used to be all over the place until I started to treat this lift as any gym lift.

You would not do 4 singles in the biceps curl for example.

Do multiple sets with several reps. Protect the hand with a thin cloth and then finish off the workout by a couple of heavier singles without the cloth. Never max out in training. Basically never miss a training vbar lift (unless you are repping it with a cloth). You don't want to learn how to fail so you have to build your confidence.

I had no doubt whatsoever that I would pull the opening weight of 160k in the Oz championship and I did. I had built my confidence by never allowing myself to fail a lift in training. Confidence is of fundamental importance in the vbar lift.

Once I started repping in the vbar my results varied very, very little from one workout to the other (other than that I got stronger).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Makes sense, Mikael, and it's definitely worth a try.

My vbar used to be all over the place until I started to treat this lift as any gym lift.

You would not do 4 singles in the biceps curl for example.

Do multiple sets with several reps. Protect the hand with a thin cloth and then finish off the workout by a couple of heavier singles without the cloth. Never max out in training. Basically never miss a training vbar lift (unless you are repping it with a cloth). You don't want to learn how to fail so you have to build your confidence.

I had no doubt whatsoever that I would pull the opening weight of 160k in the Oz championship and I did. I had built my confidence by never allowing myself to fail a lift in training. Confidence is of fundamental importance in the vbar lift.

Once I started repping in the vbar my results varied very, very little from one workout to the other (other than that I got stronger).

Now that is some very good advice, probably the best concerning my v-bar down cycle.. ;)

Got word from big John Beatty that the vbar cert with 306 is a good lift! I should be on the list by next week I'm guessing. :rock

Very nice Ben, congrats.