• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• DuTCH

I kn ow that feeling oh too well.

No doubt.

Forgot to mention that my weight is now 209 pounds. Lowest since 2001 I think. :cool

• 2 weeks later...

No more PRs to report but another training session yesterday.

5-8-06

FBBC VBAR

-256-->at least 2"-left hand

-clear the floor-right hand

-306-->at least 2"-left hand *

-291-->nothing-right hand-belt

-316-->at least 2"-left hand-belt * :cool

-256-->at least 2"-right hand

-320-->nothing-left hand

-278-->clear the floor-right hand

-300-->nothing-left hand

Notes: Not a terrible session with my left actually. Only 2 lifts at 300 or above. But the one at 316 kind of outweighs (in my opinion) 4 or 5 lifts at 300.

Right hand SUCKED today! I am still trying to figure out exactly what has gone wrong with it. I found a PR sheet from late November and I listed my PRs as 331 with my left hand and 311 with my right. Wow, that's a HUGE difference from now. That sucks! That also happens to be when my right hand was the strongest with the grippers...wonder if there is a correlation? Probably. Messing around with different hand placing to see if I can get it back.

Just saw that my 336 is up on the FBBC Vbar cert list. :cool Still chasing FAR behind Klein and Thornton though. :bow

Just saw that my 336 is up on the FBBC Vbar cert list. :cool Still chasing FAR behind Klein and Thornton though. :bow

Ben you are on fire :flame ! At your pace you should be the FBBC top dog in no time! :bow

• 1 month later...

350.5 with my left hand and 327 with my right in the same workout this morning! :rock Both were done on the FBBC vbar. And both were pretty big PRs for me. The 350.5 is especially sweet since my weight today was 200, the lowest in 6 years.

Very good numbers.

Will you enter Bob's competition so we can add you to the vbar top 50 lists?

Are you doing any repping (with a cloth or some other protection)? This seem to create a much more stable performance level than simply work up to a max with singles.

I found that the base strength in particular in the vbar went up considerably when I started repping. This is very important in competitions as we have seen examples of people pulling WR numbers in training or small competitions and then totally collapsing result-wise in major competitions.

Awesome suggestion.

Great numbers Ben!!

Ben, we would like to have you there. This contest should be a good one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ryan Klein does on the v-bar.

Congrats Ben!! :bow

Congrats Ben!! :bow

Thanks Franky! :cool I've stolen so many training ideas that it's not even funny...thanks to everyone here. :D

Very good numbers.

Are you doing any repping (with a cloth or some other protection)? This seem to create a much more stable performance level than simply work up to a max with singles.

I found that the base strength in particular in the vbar went up considerably when I started repping. This is very important in competitions as we have seen examples of people pulling WR numbers in training or small competitions and then totally collapsing result-wise in major competitions.

Wow, thanks Mikael! :blink

I wish it was that easy for me to enter Bob's upcoming comp. I am working so many hours that I'm convinced lately they're slowly (or quickly) trying to kill me for some reason. :angry: I am also strictly curtailing my spending lately because of the wedding in September and still planning on the BBB, although I am also job searching which means I probably won't be making the same kind of money in September OR October...so I'll have to be very careful and will be lucky to make the BBB at this rate.

I've wanted to meet Bob and the guys for QUITE some time though. So the fact that I'm relatively close (but far enough away to cost a bit) sucks because by now they (the MI Grip Crew) are probably convinced that I'm just blowing sunshine up their skirts. But I'm not.

I am very anxious to get on the Top 50 list though! Very, very, very, very anxious to be exact. :whistel

As for the repping, I found it so hard on my hands (skin) that I only lasted one workout. :( Maybe I need to toughen up but now it's getting to be one of those "don't fix it if it ain't broken" things even if I could possibly be making better gains.

The towel idea is very good though. And I might be able to put it to use AFTER some decent (300+) singles on the vbar in my next workout. Do you think that would yield good results?

Definitely appreciate the tips and advice because I've told you before you are one of the biggest reasons that I'm pulling 300+ now. :bow

Awesome suggestion.

You mean the reps and base strength comments?

Great numbers Ben!!

Thanks Paul! have you tried the vbar yet? I think you'd pull some big numbers... :cool

The towel idea is very good though. And I might be able to put it to use AFTER some decent (300+) singles on the vbar in my next workout. Do you think that would yield good results?

I think I would do the repping before the all out singles. Figure out how much you can pull after repping with a cloth or some other protection for the hands.

Then you can do three or four heavy singles with increasing weight (without a cloth). It is not very important how much you do in training if you plan to compete.

What matters is what you do on the day of competition. By maxing out fresh you learn to fail and become good at it.

If you first tire yourself out with repping with a ligher weight you know that your following heavy singles do not really represent your true max.

You then bring this knowledge to the platform on the day of competition. Supreme confidence will take you a long way.

I think I would do the repping before the all out singles. Figure out how much you can pull after repping with a cloth or some other protection for the hands.

Then you can do three or four heavy singles with increasing weight (without a cloth). It is not very important how much you do in training if you plan to compete.

What matters is what you do on the day of competition. By maxing out fresh you learn to fail and become good at it.

If you first tire yourself out with repping with a ligher weight you know that your following heavy singles do not really represent your true max.

You then bring this knowledge to the platform on the day of competition. Supreme confidence will take you a long way.

Thanks as always Mikael! I'll put your info to work for me then.

Ben,

Your success is amazing and inspiring. I guess I have a "little" catching up to do!

Thanks a lot Alan! :rock Great to see you back on the GB again man. Sorry about your collar bone! You'll catch up in no time at all. Slow and steady progress has taken me to a decent level. But there are many, many guys that I'm still chasing.

Great job on pulling 350 Ben.

You monster.

:mosher

Thanks buddy! Great to see you back on again too after your absence. :rock Your training is looking good for the BBB this year. Look forward to seeing what you do in the bending today!