1" Vertical Bar

bencrush

Might as well update the journals with my 400 quest on the vertical bar also.

I would be HONORED if anyone else would like to join it as well.

Travis M, Josh, anyone interested. Please feel free to encourage each other and goad/coax each other to grip greatness.

I look forward to the carnage.

I will train tomorrow morning if the night at work goes well.

I haven't been training the vertical bar steadily in the past month or so.

So I'll start the buildup again.

Previous max is 331, pulled about 2" off the floor.

I will be happy to get 300 after this long of a layoff and since I've been focusing on other grip stuff.

So for those who join up, please let us know what your current max is and the training you do.

Can't wait to see the different approaches. Especially hope the VBAR KING, Thornton joins up! I know there are some other HUGE vbar guys as well. Madss, Jedd, Mob, Jim Wylie, David Horne, Morton, and on and on.

Join up guys!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• DuTCH

I'll join in. My best is 343lbs.. or 156,5kg. Never ever got that again though :cry But i'll join in. It's once a week V-bar action for me.

I'll join in. My best is 343lbs.. or 156,5kg. Never ever got that again though :cry But i'll join in. It's once a week V-bar action for me.

Great to have you here Theo! 343 is fantastic! I have also never done my max of 331 since November. I've gone a bit over 300, but never really close.

Are you lifting it about 2" off the ground like I am? Or are you lifting higher?

I don't know how high , but the 343 was done in contest, so that was at least 2". Somehow i always lift more, a lot more, in contests.

Great to have you here Theo! 343 is fantastic! ....

156.5k is actually 344lbs. :tongue

Looking forward to read this thread.

Somehow i always lift more, a lot more, in contests.

Me too. On average I lift about 25lbs more each hand.

Mikael, thanks for clearing that. That leaves only 56lbs to the 400lbs :)

Did v-bar:

Warm up to 115kg both hands

130kg x2 with both hands

120kg x2 high pull it with both hands.

Uh, oh.

Without Theo I might have joined, but so .... :tongue

Maybe later.

I have other issues first.

Good luck guys.

Mikael, why don't you enter?

I think I might like to get in on this. It would definitely be motivational as I train to increase my v-bar for The Show of Hands Grip Cup. My best right is 308, performed two weeks ago, and left is somewhere near 295. I'll have to check my records. My progress has been very slow and sporadic with this lift.

Uh, oh.

Maybe later.

Good luck guys.

Maybe after the Sydney competition.

Ill be posting in here every lil while also. I dont do V bar very often but it is definitley one of my favourite lifts.

Left PR is 290, Right PR is 300... Both done to 2 inches on my home made 1 inch v bar.

Good luck to you crazy bastards over 300 and going ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!

Strength is rated in numbers and numbers a lone!

2-2-06

1" VERTICAL BAR

-231-->at least 2"-both hands

-276-->at least 2"-both hands

-301-->nothing-right hand

-at least 2"-left hand

-at least 2"-right hand

-nothing-left hand

Notes: Not bad for not doing it for quite a while. The 301 was pretty difficult today. With some focus again it will become commonplace like it was right before the 331 pull at Travis M's house in November.

Uh, oh.

Maybe later.

Good luck guys.

What issues? The Red and the 3# will fall soon! No problem! :rock

Perhaps You'll get the next problem soon - shall I break the german vbar record

today - inofficial certainly? :tongue

real new to most grip training. it took a couple of weeks to find out what you all meant by , "v bar" lift.I made one and trained it last night for the first time. I started at 100 lbs and kept adding. my best was 255 lbs. and that was after 8 attempts. i stood fully upright with it. so i'm going to wait a couple of days and go for broke. I think i might have 275 to 285 in me if i'm fresh. I like this lift alot more than rolling thunder.

2-6-06

Right...........Left

213x1.......213x1

283 miss...283x1

283 miss...303x1

283x1.......313 miss

288x1.......303x1 (felt easy)

................310.5 miss

I wanted to keep going, but my skin can handle only so much of this v-bar abuse.

V-bar

Both hands worked up to 132,5kg..

Can't wait to see the different approaches. Especially hope the VBAR KING, Thornton joins up! I know there are some other HUGE vbar guys as well. Madss, Jedd, Mob, Jim Wylie, David Horne, Morton, and on and on.

Join up guys!

I think Jim Wylie is the current VBAR KING. He has pulled over 25lbs more than Dave with calibrated plates on a LGC replica and has held the WR for a year and a half (with the exception of a period lasting only a few minutes).

Dave had the chance to eradicate Jim's previous WR at 360lbs but failed. Jim himself slaughtered his own WR in December.

Dave Morton is not even remotely close to Jim Wylie in the vbar. Very strong with grippers though.

Dave Thornton would be up there with Jim though if someone arranged for him to do both hands with Euro rules (and a LGC replica) in a competition. I value the total WR as important as the one hand WR. It is a pity that no organiser in the US can give Thornton a chance at setting a new WR in the vbar total (currently 317-ish k's).

Join up guys!

I think Jim Wylie is the current VBAR KING. He has pulled over 25lbs more than Dave with calibrated plates on a LGC replica and has held the WR for a year and a half (with the exception of a period lasting only a few minutes).

Dave had the chance to eradicate Jim's previous WR at 360lbs but failed. Jim himself slaughtered his own WR in December.

Dave Morton is not even remotely close to Jim Wylie in the vbar. Very strong with grippers though.

Dave Thornton would be up there with Jim though if someone arranged for him to do both hands with Euro rules (and a LGC replica) in a competition. I value the total WR as important as the one hand WR. It is a pity that no organiser in the US can give Thornton a chance at setting a new WR in the vbar total (currently 317-ish k's).

Thanks for the clarification Mikael. Must have been one of my off days. All the guys I listed are very strong.

2-9-06

I did some vertical bar messing around today. And wow it went very well!

Any day I hit 300+, even a few pounds over 300, is a great day on the vertical bar.

I was reading Eric Milfeld's vertical bar post and he only does one warmup at 213 before jumping right to 283. Then 300. So I thought that sounded like a good plan.

1" VERTICAL BAR

-221-->at least 2"-both hands

-308-->nothing-right hand

-at least 2"-left hand :cool

-313-->nothing-right hand

-at least 2"-left hand :rock

-318-->nothing-right hand

-at least 2"-left hand :mosher

-281-->at least 2"-both hands

-at leas 2"-both hands

-256-->at least 2"-both hands TORE CALLOUS ON RIGHT HAND!

Notes: WOW is all I can say about this workout! Hitting 318 is huge for me because it's been so long since I did 331.

2-9-06

Any day I hit 300+, even a few pounds over 300, is a great day on the vertical bar.

I was reading Eric Milfeld's vertical bar post and he only does one warmup at 213 before jumping right to 283. Then 300. So I thought that sounded like a good plan.

1" VERTICAL BAR

-at leas 2"-both hands

Notes: WOW is all I can say about this workout! Hitting 318 is huge for me because it's been so long since I did 331.

Great job man. :mosher

2-9-06

1" VERTICAL BAR

-at leas 2"-both hands

Great job man. :mosher

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to banging away on it again consistently.

Lookin' good, Ben!

Well, I just had the best v-bar workout of my whole entire lifetime! :tongue But really, it's so nice to make a big jump in weight after maintaining, or even losing strength, for months on end in this event.

2-12-2006

Right...................Left

213x1.................213x1

258x1.................258x1

310.5x1 (PR).......300.5x1 (PR)

320.5x1 (PR).......308 miss

328 miss.............300.5x1

I know I'll probably never get 400, but now I have reason to hope for 350 one day. Cool.