How Does John Brookfield Stack Up?

Ari

When most people 1st joined this board it was for the love of there hobby,more information on there hobby etc etc,i bet there thoughts at the time were not on certs or competitions now its the other way around alot seem obsessed with certs and comps i to fell into the certs are the be all and end all thing but i had my own personal reasons for this it was/is great to be able to compare yourself to others useing similar stock but its not or should not be the be all and end all of this board.its nice to see how you stack up against others but i bet it puts a few people off thinking they have to measure up or meet a certain mark this is obviously a personal thing and up to the individual.

I have been accused in the past of chaseing certs etc which i admit to but am i any different than those people that do the same thing thing by doing countless shows throughout the year the only difference i see is that they get paid for it showing people what they can do,why should chaseing a p[articular cert be any different.

Brookfield used to be a god on here when the board was in its infancy then because he was seen as no longer putting it on the line people started questioning and bad mouthing him yet some of these same people used to see him as a god how times have changed as Tim said the man makes a living from it so he has alot to lose by putting it on the table the same for a few others does this mean they are not world class because they choose not to compete i dont think so else why do people buy all there dvds etc.

The Holles along time ago choose not to compete because of the negativety they got off of this board and others people yet i would put Nathan up against anyone in a gripper contest,Gavin against anyone in a bending contest and Craig against anyone in an all around but because they choose not to please us by going into comps does that make them not upto scratch or less worthy.

Did Apollon,Inch,Saxon,goerner etc ever compete against one another we all know the answer to that why not cause these men i feel like John,Pat,dennis,steve etc have nothing to prove and everything to loose they know what they are capable of and each have an abundance of strength and are indeed world class at what they do but because they choose not to compete are they less worthy its only in true meaningfull comparisons that this would be worth doing but this will never happen.

David Horne,Mobster,Chad etc etc all those that choose to compete are they really any stronger than those that choose not to compete in an allround grip comp or in individual events etc is David Horne stronger pincher than Richard Sorin,Is Jedd better on the blobs than brookfield or Sorin,is Mobster better on the grippers than Nathan,is aaron a better bender than Pat or Gavin etc etc lots on here will say yes because they choose to put it on the line but thats not the complete story :D

No disrespect to anyone mentioned just some of my thoughts on this subject.

:rock

When most people 1st joined this board it was for the love of there hobby,more information on there hobby etc etc,i bet there thoughts at the time were not on certs or competitions now its the other way around alot seem obsessed with certs and comps i to fell into the certs are the be all and end all thing but i had my own personal reasons for this it was/is great to be able to compare yourself to others useing similar stock but its not or should not be the be all and end all of this board.its nice to see how you stack up against others but i bet it puts a few people off thinking they have to measure up or meet a certain mark this is obviously a personal thing and up to the individual.

I have been accused in the past of chaseing certs etc which i admit to but am i any different than those people that do the same thing thing by doing countless shows throughout the year the only difference i see is that they get paid for it showing people what they can do,why should chaseing a p[articular cert be any different.

Brookfield used to be a god on here when the board was in its infancy then because he was seen as no longer putting it on the line people started questioning and bad mouthing him yet some of these same people used to see him as a god how times have changed as Tim said the man makes a living from it so he has alot to lose by putting it on the table the same for a few others does this mean they are not world class because they choose not to compete i dont think so else why do people buy all there dvds etc.

The Holles along time ago choose not to compete because of the negativety they got off of this board and others people yet i would put Nathan up against anyone in a gripper contest,Gavin against anyone in a bending contest and Craig against anyone in an all around but because they choose not to please us by going into comps does that make them not upto scratch or less worthy.

Did Apollon,Inch,Saxon,goerner etc ever compete against one another we all know the answer to that why not cause these men i feel like John,Pat,dennis,steve etc have nothing to prove and everything to loose they know what they are capable of and each have an abundance of strength and are indeed world class at what they do but because they choose not to compete are they less worthy its only in true meaningfull comparisons that this would be worth doing but this will never happen.

David Horne,Mobster,Chad etc etc all those that choose to compete are they really any stronger than those that choose not to compete in an allround grip comp or in individual events etc is David Horne stronger pincher than Richard Sorin,Is Jedd better on the blobs than brookfield or Sorin,is Mobster better on the grippers than Nathan,is aaron a better bender than Pat or Gavin etc etc lots on here will say yes because they choose to put it on the line but thats not the complete story :D

No disrespect to anyone mentioned just some of my thoughts on this subject.

Who knows who is best because of the people who won't put it on the line to find out.

Can't win if you don't compete. I understand trying to make a career out of being a strongman means that maybe you can't compete in small level contests and you can't take anything away from Pat or Dennis or John B. And you have to remember that these three did go through some official certifications and such, John through Ironmind on the 3 and red nail, Pat did those as well as fatbastard certs, and Dennis through competing in armwrestling. Although its fun to see for the fans here, its not necessary for Pat to have to continually prove his strength through certs, especially as the types of feats he performs change many of which there aren't any certs for.

But it would be nice to see some of these guys come out and compete especially guys like the Holles. I'll never understand why you'd want to be champion of your basement when you could go out and learn and make yourself better by competing. Your basement is nothing like the pressure, the conditions and having a judge as in a competition. I know competing has made me a better all around athlete as well as shown me how much farther I still have to go.

AP,

It's hard to understand people that are different from us but there are people that I know that are scared to death of performing in front of people. Some people are afraid to perform in front of peers. Not saying any one particular person mentioned is like that I'm just stating some possibilities.

Tim

It's hard to understand people that are different from us but there are people that I know that are scared to death of performing in front of people. Some people are afraid to perform in front of peers. Not saying any one particular person mentioned is like that I'm just stating some possibilities.

Would it be fair today if you gave Kinney a new #4 and asked him to close it? Of course not... he's not as strong as he used to be and to ask him to perform a feat like that now would be considered, IMHO, to be an insult.

Yet, Kinney did a feat of strength that, back almost 10 years ago, was considered "impossible"... even for a skinny old man from the mountains of Tennessee! Oh, how dare he accomplish a feat like that when there are others that are MUCH more deserving of it than him!!! :angry:

A quick story: a while back, I was showing my prowess on the grippers to some of my co-workers. The gripper in question that day was the #2.5 which no one there was coming close on. One of them asked me that fatal question, "How much do you bench?". I think he was somewhat surprised by my answer, "I don't". Well, that's not entirely true - the most I've ever benched in my life was about 250 pounds, and then for some reason, I quit benching - and that was about 3 years ago. He then went on to brag to me about how much he could bench, what other lifts he could do, blah, blah, blah.... :rolleyes

Point is - would you expect me to perform a lift that I'm not capable of doing just so that it suits your personal ego? Hell no, I wouldn't do it. However, if you gave me some time and let me do some training on that lift or feat of strength... then that's another story.

Never, NEVER expect someone else to be as good as you are in one lift or in one feat of strength AS YOU. And vice versa... :D

Edited by Sybersnott

Would it be fair today if you gave Kinney a new #4 and asked him to close it? Of course not... he's not as strong as he used to be and to ask him to perform a feat like that now would be considered, IMHO, to be an insult.

Yet, Kinney did a feat of strength that, back almost 10 years ago, was considered "impossible"... even for a skinny old man from the mountains of Tennessee! Oh, how dare he accomplish a feat like that when there are others that are MUCH more deserving of it than him!!! :angry:

A quick story: a while back, I was showing my prowess on the grippers to some of my co-workers. The gripper in question that day was the #2.5 which no one there was coming close on. One of them asked me that fatal question, "How much do you bench?". I think he was somewhat surprised by my answer, "I don't". Well, that's not entirely true - the most I've ever benched in my life was about 250 pounds, and then for some reason, I quit benching - and that was about 3 years ago. He then went on to brag to me about how much he could bench, what other lifts he could do, blah, blah, blah.... :rolleyes

Point is - would you expect me to perform a lift that I'm not capable of doing just so that it suits your personal ego? Hell no, I wouldn't do it. However, if you gave me some time and let me do some training on that lift or feat of strength... then that's another story.

Never, NEVER expect someone else to be as good as you are in one lift or in one feat of strength AS YOU. And vice versa... :D

Excellent post! :mosher

I guess I should clarify what I meant. When I said some are afraid to perform in front of their peers, I meant from the stage-fright aspect. Not afraid of actual competing or anything like that. Kinda like playing a guitar in front of other players. Some people just simply don't like to do that.

I didn't mean anybody was afraid to compete because of being shown up. Like I said, some people, and maybe the Holles fit into this, just don't like crowds and the such.

Tim

I didn't mean anybody was afraid to compete because of being shown up. Like I said, some people, and maybe the Holles fit into this, just don't like crowds and the such.

Maybe I was getting at that also from what I said.

Public performance is scary. I'm afraid of performing in front of people.

I like lifting because I can outperform myself. When I have to lift with people I get nervous and fail. I do not like competition. I usually lose.

I like watching John's grip activities in his video. The grip tips on ironmind.com are good too. Anyone try ringing the water out of the towel to fill up the bucket?

TTYL,

Doug