Best Tools For Forearms

Blackheart

Shovel some snow, rake leaves, cash in empty soda bottles.

I just got a job shoveling snow!! :blink Uh, does it snow a lot in Georgia? :ohmy:unsure

You guys need to learn about the "Dollar a Day Savings Plan" I have been doing it for a few years now, and it works very well. However, you must be disciplined about it. I have had anywhere from $580 to over $700 extra cash in a years time, with this method. :)

When I need Jeep parts or training equipment I keep all my spare change in a big jug, all I do is dip in, count it out, and get what I need. If I am short I will wait, do extra work, or trade stuff off. I've been saving since summer and I probably have $300-400 in the jug.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackheart

• Bearcat 74

• Scott Styles

• climber511

Just got my Formulator today.It's worth it (even though the price is the same as the minimum monthly salary of an employee here in my country).Saves you time in doing a lot of other forearm exercises.I'll be doing this and the wrist roller (1 1/4") for the next few weeks.By the way, kudos to Karen/John Wood for their good customer service even though I'm on the other side of the world.

Dumbbell wrist curls

dumbbell revers wrist curls

axle reverse curls

sledge hammers

wrist rollers of varying thickness

plate wrist curls

I am saving my money for my trip to Scotland and Iceland in 07' so no new equipment for me. ;)

Rick-Thick bar reverse curls or any type of reverse curl for that matter might be the most neglected lift for grip/forearm lift that everyone should be doing in my opinion. . .

Austin

Rick-Thick bar reverse curls or any type of reverse curl for that matter might be the most neglected lift for grip/forearm lift that everyone should be doing in my opinion. . .

Austin

Austin,

Do you prefer doing them, thumbless or with thumb opposite from the other fingers?

Thanks

you are buying the formulator from john wood or from the original page? and something else...

in thw site www.theformulator.com i saw something else.I saw that the olympic and the standard version of the formulator have wach, two sub - categories.

The big hands bar i think and the small hands pad.You can see it by yourself to the given url.Olease where it the difference and from where i will be ale to know which is best for me?

you are buying the formulator from john wood or from the original page? and something else...

in thw site www.theformulator.com i saw something else.I saw that the olympic and the standard version of the formulator have wach, two sub - categories.

The big hands bar i think and the small hands pad.You can see it by yourself to the given url.Olease where it the difference and from where i will be ale to know which is best for me?

I have 8 inch hands in length and just at 4 inches in palm width. I have the Olympic, large grip plate Formulator and it fits me just fine. I would suggest getting the top of the line model regardless.

When i trained forearms like is used to.I did 3 exercises and that was it. One was your standard wrist curls using a DB or BB. Two was reverse curls using EZ bar standing or on a preacher.Three was Hammer curls.My forearms are still large and im looking into buying a Formulator myself just because it would be more effecient in time and exercise availability.

There are so many exercises for the forearm tht i often get confused in which of them to choose for the training,

Same experience as you.But whenI got the formulator,I only use that and wrist roller.The only missing equipment me for right now is the Ironmind Tug.

There are so many exercises for the forearm tht i often get confused in which of them to choose for the training,

Personally, I'd stick with to the regular curls and leverages. And when those curls start to piss me off badly or when I feel like I'm hitting terrible plateaus in my wrist strength I might consider getting a formulator, but damn that's a lot of money... I'm still a beginner myself so I won't be bored with the regular routines in 2006 I guess.

A few months back, a new member outlined his design for a simple piece of wrist/forearm equipment he made for about 2.00. Basically it is a 2' section of 2" PVC pipe with a 1" hole thru the center. You thread a std DB handle thru the hole and secure it with a star washer. Then you add plates to the other end of the DB handle. You can do at least 7 exercises that I have counted with it, including both types of wrist curls, hammer curls, levering, finger curls, and hanging it off your feet while doing leg raises off a bench. It works your forearms, wrist and grip, and doesn't take a lot of weight. The leg raises and crunches with it will kill your abs. It is a piece of equipment everyone should have in their basic inventory, and I wish I could remember whose idea it was, so I could give appropriate credit. That and Climber's CFACT are my favorite forearm machines.

John Scribner

Maybe you could find a picture of this ? i am beggining to have ideas about it...

My piece of equipment? It's easy- ten minutes of work, no more. Hardest part is drilling the 1" hole thru the center of the PVC pipe, as a neat job here makes it look and work a lot better. I think I used a vice and wood-boring bit to go straight thru the pipe. (I don't have a drill-press and free-handed it) Then just take the threaded end of a Wal-Mart cheapo std. DB bar and carefully thread it into the hole and thru the other side. Secure it on the PVC with the star washer. Add your weight(s) on the other end of the DB bar, and if you have extra star washers, you can micro-load by a couple of pounds. Voila! Done. The torque on your wrist is compounded by the weights being out on the end of the DB bar, so it doesn't take much weight to really hurt. If you know a welder, they could make one up with steel pipe, but the PVC works just fine. Grabbing the PVC pipe in one hand and doing hammer curls with the weights sticking out front will also really tax your forearms. (and I'll bet you'll be surprised how you have to choke up on the PVC!!) You can also do a modified wrist roll by using one hand to roll the weight up until the weight is perpendicular to the floor, (steadying it only with the other hand), release so the weight drops down, and repeat with the other hand, ad nauseum. There's just a ton of things you can do with it. I hate abdominal work, and always neglect it, and with this I get the same effect with a few sets of crunches off the end of the bench as I would with a couple of hundred regular crunches, which I detest doing.

John Scribner

I do 'em once a week on a standard bar. . . haven't done them on my thick bar (2 3/8") for ages. :blush

Thanks for the wake up call guys.

Dave

damn.i cannot find a relatively cheap thick bar to purchase from the internet....All things are very expensive and if you add the shiping...

I don't know i am beggining to get convinced to buy the formulator...Many many many people tell me it hits madly the forearms...

When i gather the money, i will hit it for sure.

A really good tool for your forearms is riding a quad or dirt bike all day, it hurts

Then you've never rode one hard over rough terrian - I raced dirt bikes for several years and it will trash your forearms and hands. There have been studies about the grip strength of World Class motocross riders that compare them to other sports favorably.

I have a 454cc 4 wheel drive atv, wresslin that thing around on a 5-8hr ride going from 50-55mph flats, crossing creeks, going up near vertical high walls, 2-3ft deep mud, and every rut imagainable will certainly wear your arms out. I have came back from rides and been so sore it was hard to get out of bed the next morning, my bike weighs in at a shade over 700lbs not counting my fat butt, it can be a workout........

Me an my brother went on a all day ride a while ago, I was on a 440 EX and he got a 300 EX, THUMB THROTTLES SUCK. It got so bad that we would ride for 30 min or so and then lay in the woods resting for 10-20min, by the end of the day we were wore the F^%k OUT.

Maybe I can get the gym I work at to get one. Is the formulator a good piece of equipment for a gym? In other words, it's gotta be pretty idiot-proof, very hard to break, and not have many easily removable pieces. The gym has plenty of olympic clips, of course, in case that gets lost.

The EX's are fast bikes, pretty light, maybe 400-500lbs full weight.

The Formulator should be great for the gym, if you can put weight on a horn and put your hands into a slot you can use the Formulator. I really don't know how someone could break one, and it has 1 removable piece, that is the collar.

So does the formulator is the best thing for hand , wrist forearm development right?

From many opinions here i can see that it's worth it's money....Which is the maximum weight you have lifted in the formulator Heath? (i can call you heath right ??? : :cool )