Thickening The Fingers...

Blackheart

How can a person thick his fingers? take into consideration that he has no relation with manual labor and does not do any manual labor.(for example his job is a programmer).Also what is your opinion? Do you think that men with thick fingers have most likely stronger hands than other? Thickness of the fingers is for sure an advantage right?

Thickness of the fingers is for sure an advantage right?

i would think length of the hand/finger would be a greater advantage before thickness.

I have been training for armwrestling for 1 year. I have gone up one ring size from an 12 to 13 on my ring finger and had to have one of my older rings that I wear on formal occasions resized. My hand also got thicker especially the meaty area below the thumb from exerciszing it. Additionally putting heavy rubber bands on my finger tips and expanding my hands has thickened the backs of my hands noticably. You can buy those at www.ironmind.com or use the ones that they wrap broccoli in. Good luck JGH

Dude, any ideas on making them longer?

Tie a weight on the end and leg it pull on it for 15 minutes. :trout

That way will either produce a crack at the knuckle or maybe a fart.

The whole lower arms, including the fingers, get thicker over years of training. Remember though, we're not hand-bodybuilders! ;)

Thickness is both a blessing and a hinderance. There are likely more muscle fibers and thicker tendons in thick hands, but thick hands make it harder to grab thickbars and even regular barbells. Good for grippers but bad for pinch. Good for levering (more cushion for the pushin) but bad for support grip. The #1 goal is to develop strong enough hands that you can overcome whatever physical disadvantages you might think you have.

Edited by ClayEdgin

good advice clay!!

i have only been gripping for about 4 years. i have noticed that my thumb muscle, wrist size, and the side of the hand muscle on the pinky side of the hand, have all gottin much biber and harder. i think my fingers have gotten a lill bigger too, but it is hard to say cuz i never realy paid much atentoin to them.

but now i will. i have seen some old farmers with realy thick fingers,..i have shook hands with them and been around them when working. i can say I.M.O they did not have any greater hand strength. it is the people with wide, thick hand muscles that i always notice have the most hand strength. in my personal experiance every time i meet a guy with the ( pinky side of his hand) muscle that is big, he always has a good handshake. being that this muscle increases with pinky and ring finger training. it is no suprise that the bigger this muscle the stronger your handshake would be.

out of every body part on the human body the hand has the smallest muscles.. and on the hand the fingers have the smallest muscles. im not sure how much they grow. but the must.

gowing up in ring sise is very impressive.

The #1 goal is to develop strong enough hands that you can overcome whatever physical disadvantages you might think you have.

Best advice, ever.

if you find out let me know, I'm in. :laugh

Dumbbell finger lifts, using one finger at a time.

Maybe and maybe not, but it seems logical.

only if you haven't finished growing yet. there is a woman in competetive climbing (i forgot her name) that climbed trees throughout her youth and has a positive ape index (arm span is longer than her height) with longer than average fingers and an unbeleivable grip and finger strength for not training outside of climbing. if i remember right her parents were missionaries in Africa, and when she saw the monkeys playing in the trees she joined in.

and to think my mom yelled at me for climbing trees :angry:

i had a brother that saw some sharks swimming at the ocean onetime. despite is bleeding on the leg from a bad cut, he jumped in to join in and swim with them.

,.........................................i miss him sometimes. :(

Edited by ruffhans

The girl is Tori Allen. I think that she was a good climber because her fingers/arms were long. Climbing makes your knuckles grow sideways from swelling, not longer. Believe me i've tried pulling on pockets and if your fingers make a sudden jump in length it's NOT good.

Edited by Number Ten Ox

an observation I've had over the years is that many men who stay physically active as

they get older... their hands actually grow! I have seen this with many older but active farmers

and manual laborers...and many older lifters and wrestlers. I became a good friend of Pro-Wrestling

Hall of Famer, Lou Thesz during the last years of his life...Lou trained hard with all types of

weight training right up to his death at 86...his hands were amazingly large and strong. Once at a

football clinic, I met Dick Beyer(The Destroyer) who was a football coach for many years...he

continued to train and the size of his hands were unbelievable!(he was probably in his early seventies) At the Texas Oldtime Barbell Re-Union(organized

by old time Pl-man, Ronnie Ray) a few years back my friend Ell Darden was there and told me that the most

amazing fellow there was old time power-lifter, Wilber Miller (a farmer from Kansas)...Wilber is in

his 70's...still works on the farm and still trains hard...Ell said that the size and apparent strength of his

hands was out-standing...scary outstanding. Maybe as a man gets older and maybe if he keeps

physically active and still trains hard his hands grow. (or maybe...like eye-brows...they grow anyway)

(take notes on this Hubgeezer)

Yup, Hubgeezer could use some bushier eyebrows!

Kimwood when i do this kind of discussions at the gym where i workout, they strongly say that after you complete the 31 year of life you cannot get stronger and you cannot make gains in mass and not in strength!!!!!The curius thing is that all the members of the gym say that!

And i know that this is not true to a degree.I have seen persons 45 - 48 years ols that could lift much much more than i could in many exercises....

Quick change gym's, Run as fast as you can get away from the chrome and ferns and stupid advice at that gym.

I'm 31 and I'm stronger than I have ever been :angry: Take a good look at some of the guys just on this board and you will find many that are getting bigger and stronger every year.

Take a good long look at the APF and USPF national senior final. I'll find amazingly strong men in their 40's and 50's.

Kimwood when i do this kind of discussions at the gym where i workout, they strongly say that after you complete the 31 year of life you cannot get stronger and you cannot make gains in mass and not in strength!!!!!The curius thing is that all the members of the gym say that!

And i know that this is not true to a degree.I have seen persons 45 - 48 years ols that could lift much much more than i could in many exercises....

What a load of bollocks. :flame:calm

I'll be 47 in a few weeks and I'm bigger and stronger than ever. :):)

Claes

Blackheart...one of the problems is that few strength guys continue to train as they get older...

or injuries prevent them from training hard and they shift into another gear. But outstanding

performances by older men like Karl Norberg, Mac Richards, Harry Moxley, George Blanda and Al Oerter seem

to show that it's not all down hill after your early thirties...didn't Gale Gillingham(father of a couple

top level strongmen)(and former GB Packer great) start working grip with his boys and

officially slam the COC#3? ...if hand size relates to grip strength(and I believe it does) and if

the hands grow bigger as a man ages(and they seem to) wouldn't it follow that a man's grip strength

would potentially increase as he aged(up to a point)(and if he hadn't wrecked his hands' functioning by foolish

training in his "younger" years)?

(of course the bad side of this concerns things which can't be discussed here that relate to

"un-natural" growth of the hands...)

I agreee with you guys but i will invite you all to my gym to give them an example....They are full of it...The owner of my gym is 49, and he thinks he is strong!!! All the time when he lifts his weights (that a baby can lift) he screams like crazy.....

He is a pain ...

And he neglects other people training in the gym because he is jealous of them....