Question for #3 Closers?

Guest james

Guest james

I just wanna know how old(age) when you close the #3 gripper. What sort of training routine did you do to close the #3. Your answer would be helpful. I been squeezing grippers for a while and I notice that my hand is sort of like growing(like muscles). Is this normal?

JAMES

Guest DavidHW

Haven't closed the No. 3 yet, but I know what you're talking about with your hands growing. My right hand used to be slightly smaller than my left. Now, after seven weeks of grip work, the right hand (the stronger one) is about 3/8 inch longer as measured from wrist to end of middle finger. I attribute it to the rigorous stretching I do with my fingers and hands before and after my grip workouts; since the right is carrying a heavier load than my left, the tendons and such seem to be growing faster. Stretching keeps things elongated.

My two cents.

David

I was 21 when I closed it.  I did holds with the #2, force close and hold with the #3, but straps with the #2 is what put me through.  Also don't over look rest.  

I think my hands and wrists have gotten some bigger.  I think it is a mixture of grip work and just work.  Find any older person who has worked hard, and you'll see a big set of hands.  My Dad is 5'6" and his hands dwarf mine.  They are the same length, I'm 6'0", but 1 of his fingers is as thick as 2 of mine.  Another guy I work around is also a mechanic, we're about the same size, only he's 64.  But, his hands are HUGE!!  They look like claws.   Both have a punishing grip.

I was 23.

used overcrushing the #2 for 8-10 secs singles.

I think my hands have got slightly meatier, but my fingers remain quite thin.

good luck with #3

train hard

david

Guest Jay Ansuini

James-

I don't mean to bust in on your topic, but I wanted to ask something of the CoC's that was somewhat related.  How many consecutive times can you all close the #3?  Also, for those of you who can close it multiple times, about how long did it take you before you could close it more than once?  Thanks.

I was one month shy of 37 when I first closed the #3.  The routine that put me over the edge was using strapholds for 2-3 singles with the Beefbuilder Master. I would work the grippers twice per week in this fashion, warming up with the #1, #2, and doing 1 attempt on the #3.  I followed this with the strapholds.  I would do the holds for a maximum of 10 seconds, and increase the weight when I was able to get 10 second holds on at least 2 out of the three sets.  What is most important is experimenting with the information you gather here, and finding what works best for you by moving on to something different if it does not work within a few weeks.  When you find something good, stick with it, but never be afraid to experiment, as you may find something even better.  As an answer to Jay's request, I have closed my #3 for 2 consecutive reps, and it took me about 10 months after I first closed my #3 to achieve this.  Steve Weiner

One day over 38.  

I do most of the same stuff as the other guys. The key for me was increased frequency (keeping volume low) and "big weight" attempted holds on the PDA Atlas.

Also, I found my hands and forearms are very noticably bigger/thicker.  So much so, my wedding ring has to go on and off with soap and cold water over the knuckle.

Guest rockblaster

I, too, have noticed more muscularity and vascularity in my hands since I have been working them exclusively.  My fingers are also more "squared" and "filled out" at the joints when I bend them.  

I think a better question would be, "How long did you grip train BEFORE you were able to close the #3?".

I first closed it one month before my 37th birthday.  Right before I was to be certified, I had an injury happen to my hand.  I am back to almost 100 per cent strength in my right hand, and hope to be certified soon (crossing my fingers).  It took me over two years to finally close the #3, and I really wasn't that serious about it.  I knew that if I trained, and did so consistantly, my time would come, and it did.   :)

Snott, you weren't serious about it!?  I would hate to see when you are serious.  What would you have?  A Full video and audio hotline? ;)

Oh, brother!  Take ONE word out of context, and blow it up!  Maybe I should explain.....

I love grip strength, and grip training.... BUT I'm NOT balls-to-the-wall gonzo about grip strength and grip training!!  I do have a life, and other interests - and grip training just happens to be one of my many hobbies.  I'm not CRAZY INSANE about grip training like maybe some of the people I know on this board - I do enjoy it VERY much.

When I said I wasn't that serious about it, I meant that had I trained on a very rigid strict workout regiment, I should of and could of closed the #3 a lot sooner than I have.  Call it what you will..... I took breaks when I needed it, then resumed my training.  If my hands hurt, a little more rest was in order, NOT more grip training.  Joe Kinney I'll never be - that's for sure.

I think I made a very big mistake when I opened my big, fat mouth and proclaimed to the world that I had closed the CoC #3.  What I should of done was to shut the #### up and wait to get certified FIRST, then break the news.  Live and learn.  And just because I've said I've done it.... so what?  Don't call me a troll, liar..... or whatever you want.  I'll get that certification in due time.  It will be a great accomplishment, and I'll cherish it as such - but it's NOT the end of the world.  I've still yet to experience marriage, fatherhood, etc. - so being a certified COC will rank up there as one of my life's great achievements.   :)  

I don't know...I would wonder who would marry someone who called themself SNOTT! :) :)

BAAAHAHAHAAHAH!

Guest jesusfreak

I am 27 I closed the #3 in feb of this year but the handels barely touched. In june I smashed them.On july 25th I got 2 close it n front of john brookfield & steve jeck,it was an honor 2 meet them.I train grip twice a week,I had a 2 1/2 in. diameter dumbell made, a challenge dumbell of 133lbs. Its easy 4 me.

thankz,tommy                                                                                                                                                                                    

Congratulations, jesusfreak!  

When will your photo appear in the Milo strength magazine?

I didn't hear, did John Brookfield set a new Guiness record for breaking that chisel?

Strongman