Hand size

Roark

Measure about mid way between from where the fingers join

the palm, to the wrist line. That flexible piece of

flesh at the base of the thumb should be bypassed,

and if you move your thumb toward you index finger,

most of that flexible part will shift out of the way.

• 6 months later...

It good to see that you dont have to have a huge hand to close a #3. I thought that when I first started to work on the grippers. When I tried my #3 it was just too big for my hand I thought.

My hand measurements are:

length: 7.75"

width: 4"

thumb to littlefinger: 9"

middle finger: 3.5"

forearm: 14.5"

wrist: 8"

Well i guess i don't have such a small hand after all.Meeting those guys at such a young age gave me a complex..kind of like useing the facilities next to Long D### Silver :D

I've got a big fist(or so i've been told) when i close my hand but I always thought my fingers were stubby.most of my hand length seems to be in the  palm.

Old guy you've got a whoppin big hand!

I was told by an old timer that Sonny Liston had a 14 inch fist...?.Is that possible?I've seen some old pics of him and he had a huge hand and huge feet.

George forman is supposed to have a really big Fist also.

I do not know how they do this measurement.

Wasn't Mike tysons around 12inches?The commonly list 'fist 'and wrist size at big fights.(along with bis,claves,chest .'reach'etc)

Sonny Liston had huge hands and very long arms for a man of his height. He looked much bigger than his fighting weight of around 215. My fist is 13/2''. Oddly everyone in my family on both sides for as far back as I can go, has been small. Only my son and I are larger than average. I do okay, but am not delusional. I am not in the same league as Mobsterone, Horne, Sexton, James and so on. Compared to the WSM guys I am scrawny.

So it is possible Sonny had a 14 incher.

I was just told Sonny had an arm span(commonly listed as reach)of 84 inches and wore a size 14  or 14 and 1/2 shoe on a 6'1"frame.This guy(tellingme)is a boxing fanatic...off the subject but he said Rocky Marciano had only a 67 inch reach!?(i guess it didn't matter ;) )I have a 75 3/4inch reach/span at 6'1"--a lot of it in shoulder/clavicle width though.

We are straying a little but at least we also post more relevant stuff too. At least we post! I have a span of 77'' even with short forearms. My hand is longer than my forearm  from inside elbow to wrist. Short forearms seemed to give me the edge in armwrestling leverage wise. Don't armwrestle these days.

Well as the subject drifts off to fists size and reach and forarm length I think it still might- indirectly-be  related to grip and wrist strength?

Some good grippers are of average hand size but most of the guys doing the big Rolling Thunders #'s and lifting the INCH -or actually deadlifting the INCH -are guys with the bigger hands,apparently fairly long arms(I'm guessing..and it's not that important -that Tony has a deceptively long Arm span for his height?).

I think it's interesting to hear about 'reach',hand size,wrist circumference,fist size,forearm length,etc. and see how it DOES play into the different aspects of grip.

Of course after careful analysis some guys ARE just flat strong :crazy

Hand length : 7.5"

Middle finger : 3.4"

Thumb-Pinky : 9.25"

Wrist : 6.75"

Forearms (straight wrist) : 11.5"

Forearms (flexed) : 12.75"

I'm not sure how it relates but I am working on the #2 right now (down to 3/16" after 10 days with it) so as far as grippers go I think I do about average (I got my T and #1 in early August and couldn't close the #1 until mid-August).  For thick bar stuff I've only tried it once with a 2.5" galvanized steel handle and pulled 135 up to lockout and held for 30 seconds.  I think this is a pretty high lift for a first timer which I find odd considering that I have pretty small hands for thick bar stuff.  (Oh well...I wanna be the first guy to DL the inch while weighing less than the bell itself :) )

Length: 6.5"

Width: 4"

Middle Finger: 3.1"

Forearms: 15.1"

Smallest hands here it seems hehe. I've  found it has made training with COC grippers far harder than I assume it is for most. Very hard to set the grippers right in hand so as to be able to get a full range of motion to get a sucessful close.

I was thinking about the fist thing. Is it really an advantage to have a big fist in boxing? I mean, it hurts much more to get hit by a small object than a large object if it has the same power. On impact the larger fist spreads out the damage over a bigger area?

Offcourse the large fist means that it probably weighs more, but is the difference that much?

Guest CalvinP

Hi Patrik

Large hand in large boxing glove equals more energy transfered. And for the brain that means more vibration and shock =  knock out power. Assuming speed isn't too slow. Have you ever been hit with a boxing glove? It feels like your brain is sloshing around in there. Bare hand's hit can break your bone, but the boxing gloved's hit will vibrate your brain and turn it off . Any way my hands are small and ordinairry :hehe

For some reason Tracy & Tony Scrivens have been unable to

post, but should join us soon.

Meanwhile Tracy informs me that Tony's hand-spread

measurement is 11".

The reason big hands are an advantage is the same reason that we have the term 'throwing a punch'.  Truly powerful punches rely not on the weight of the puncher but on the speed with which they are delivered.  More bodyweight must be used if you're striking to the body but more speed is required for strong punches to the head (which is capable of absorbing more shock through movement of the neck).  So, in essence, you're 'throwing' your first at someone's jaw.  Therefore a heavier fist hits harder as it's not the weight of the fist slowing it's movement down but the speed at which you can move your arm.