Calling Roger Steffens

Gorilla Hands

Roger, how are you doing on plate curls these days. What's your routine looking like? What can you plate wrist curl max? What can you regular plate curl max? What can you plate holdout max? Also, have you tried using a standard size (non-oly) 50 lbs. plate. These are actually the ones I believe Brookfield is writing about in his book. They might weigh 50 lbs., but they are smaller in diameter than a 45 lbs. plate as well as a bit thinner I believe. Lastly have you tried to see at least how well you can hold a 45.

Thanks,

David

P.S. Anyone else at the cusp of acomplishing the 45, please feel free to respond.

(Edited by Gorilla Hands at 1:43 pm on Mar. 8, 2001)

Gorilla Hands,

I very sure I can do 40-pounds, with the extra weight on a 35 attached with magnets way out on the end.  If I can’t do the 40-pound plate curl I’ll keep trying the same weight, but with the magnets closer to the center of the plate to make the lift easier.  I didn’t do it this week as planned because my thumbs were still sore after one week of rest (not injured, just sore!).  It is odd that my thumbs did not seem to be a factor with 25 and 30 pounds.  I showed this exercise to someone I consider the strongest in my gym and he did 10x25 pounds first try.  He rested probably about ½-hour and then failed miserably on a 35-pound plate!  It seems that there is an exponential increase in force required as you go from plate to plate, obviously due to the torque caused by the weight on the far edge.  As someone moves from a 25-pound dumbbell to a 35-pound dumbbell all they have to deal with is the additional weight, not the additional torque.  All this said, I couldn’t honestly say how far I am from 45-pounds.  I can tell I have something above the 37.5 that I’ve already done because I’ve only really trained 3 weeks to get to that weight (Not counting the years of related work).  

I’d like to hear from anyone who can do a 35-pound plate curl as well, I don’t think there are too many.  Barbender, I seem to remember this was one of your goals.

I have done a 35-pound plate curl but the form was too sloppy for me to accept it as an accomplished goal. I insist on the plate being level or tipped slightly upward.

David, I haven't been doing the plate curls at all for workouts, but have been focusing on pinch/crush stuff. I did try the 35lb the other day, though, in the gym and did a couple of reps(plate curl). This is the Hampton Oly plate.