2005 December - Grip Gathering 2 - Steve B

Steve B.

Well first off it turned out to be a really good gathering.

Several grip board members showed up for the fun.We had handgripperman,handgripperdad,BrettJones,Ironwarrior,Muckalich,Zpassman,

Fatboy,Bananna Fingers,Supermagnamon and Steve B.Others were first time grippers with a few very impressive performances by them.

First to show were Brett Jones with his friend Mike Castrogiovanni.For those who don't know Brett and Mike C. are two of the top kettlebell instructors in the country.Mike was very strong in everything he tried.He was most impressive in levering a sledge hammer(can't remember the exact weight)between 20-30lbs.No one else could match this.Some were calling him Slim jr.Brett of course bent all kinds of metal and a red for my collection of red nail certified benders.Thanks Brett.

Handgripperman and Dad showed up next with a pickup truck full of stuff from block weights to plates and implements,grippers you name it.

What can you say about Kevin.One of the few certified in both the red nail bend and #3 close.He was the best all around guy in all the stuff we did.Always at or near the top.He like the energizer bunny he just doesn't stop and is want s to try everything thats going on.I think Supermagnaon showed up next.He bested everyone on the block weights and 2.5"bar D.O.deadlift.I belived he stood up with a 57.5lb hex block and pulled 272lbs on the Dl.He had 292lbs to his knees but couldn't lock it out.

Zpassman took the Rolling thunder handle tug o war.

New comer 18 year old Steve out hung eveyone.We put an Apollians axel across the top of my power rack free rolling.He hung and did a partial pullup with 75lbs.on him.He also bent bent a yellow nail without never doing any bending with some instruction from Handgripperman.He also picked up a 100lb.DB and did eight reps with it on a one arm standing press.One strong kid.

On the wrist roller at chest level in the power rack i got a PR of 250lbs which no one could match.

Other notables were Fatboys friend Adam.He is also a pretty strong kid and a guy to keep an eye on.

We did try some bottoms up pressed with the KB's.I believe a couple people got the 32kg KB.

Before Brett and Mike had to leave they put on a kettlebell juggleing demo.They tossed by themselves and to each other.This was one of the highlights of the day.

I don't think anyone here had seen anything like that before.

All the other new comers got to try everything out and got instruction form the other more experienced guests.Hopefully we have some converts to our odd obsession.

If any other guests have any thing to add please do.I sure i forgot to mention some things.A big thanks to Vlad for taking pictures that i'm sure he will post in the future.

Clay we missed you brother.

Alot of people asked about you.

I let'em know you had your own gig going that day.

But we tore some phone books in your honor.

Steve-

Thanks again for hosting, I had a great time as usual.

Also a big thanks to your wife for picking up sandwiches, cookies, drinks, etc etc--makes the day SO much better than just sucking on a few rice cakes.

For the record, Supermagnamon actually took the RT Tug 'O War--I tried to win by making him dizzy--but it didn't work. I ended up with my ass on the grass, and Ronnie still held the handle.

Next year.

Thanks again Steve!

Zach

Oh, and nobody missed you Clay.

NOBODY.

Just kidding! I hope with adequate warning, you'll be able to make the trip next year.

Great report. Some impressive stuff.

Mike Castrogiovanni - seems like I've heard that name before.

-Jedd-

Great report.  Some impressive stuff.

Mike Castrogiovanni - seems like I've heard that name before.

-Jedd-

Jedd--

He's a trainer/RKC instructor based in San Jose. Cool guy, very strong. Maybe you've heard of him through Dragondoor, or some other such KB-related site or article.

Zach

Oh, and nobody missed you Clay. 

NOBODY. 

Just kidding!  I hope with adequate warning, you'll be able to make the trip next year.

Right. I imagine that the only time I was brought up was when Mrs. Belanger asked Steve "So, where is that really big guy that snored in our guest bedroom last year?"

If the contest I'm putting on next year doesn't conflict with the gathering, I'd love to come out again and see everyone.

I had a great time again this year at the gathering. Steve and his fam. were great hosts (and hostesses) as always. It was nice to see some new faces, meet new people and reunite with the old ones. Hey Clay, i was looking for your big ass! I had brought some very special phonebooks with you in mind. Chinese phonebooks.. close to 3000 pages. I thought if anyone was going to stand a chance it would probably be you. I didnt know you had moved! I think you just knew I was going to bring those books this year and you wussed out. Wussyboy. Haha

Heh, but you forgot that the conversion rate only brings those phonebooks down to about 800 pages US :)

Steve et al....

It was a great day at the Old School Barbell site - Thank you to Steve B and his family for putting on a great event - kind and gracious - Thanks.

Michael is on the KB Basics DVD set and a great kettlebell instructor and all around freak - he narrowly missed levering the 20# sledge on his first day even trying levering. (missed by only a couple of inches shy of full lever)

I had a great day just trying various pinching, gripping and bending - then tossing the KBs around - lots of fun.

handgripperman, Zach and everyone involved were great - Thanks guys.

Brett

Thanks you guys.

It was my pleasure to host this.I always learn alot and meet new people that also engage in our odd obsession. :online

Let's see from the morning to the afternoon, it was pinching, some levering, bending, wrist rolling and euro pinch. Mike Castrogiovanni levered Handgripperman's 16lb sledge hammer. Not only he did it on his first try when he ever did levering, but he did a couple more times. I'm like, OMG the next Slim Shady is in the house, and he's doing KBs. As far as bending, Handgripperman, Zpassman1 and BJones took down some spikes and some IM Reds. I got the 55lb hex, but the Blob. The Blob hates me. Handgripperman got the Blob up and not the 55lb hex. Nobody got the 6 10s for pinching. The host, Steve B, wrist rolled the heaviest weight of the day. Also, the Inch was there, but no one got it up. Intermission was food, more food, and KB demo from BJones and Mike Castrogiovanni. They did a great job and showed a lot of cool moves. After that, was tug of war, in which I was begging for, 2.5 inch bar deadlift and then ppl started to leave. I got my @$$ handed to me by Handgripperman and Bananafingers on the tug of war. I don't have endurance, so I guess I'll have to work on that. 2.5 inch bar deadlift was cool, because the bar was pretty nice to grip on. All in all, the Grip Gathering was great. Everyone that I met there were cool and it was an awesome experience. I can't wait until next yr. Thanks, Steve.

Ronnie

Curious. Randy Strossen come?

Hubgeezer

Nope. He didn't come to the Grip Gathering.

Mike i got an e-mail from Randy thursday evening that he would'nt be able to make it down for what ever reason.I did e-mail all the guys that were coming just in case they were really looking foward to meeting him.

Before thursday he was all set to be here asking for directions and such.

So whatever he had to do must of been important.

The guy we were missing the most was the hubgeezer :(

Maybe next year.

I have posted a few pictures of the Gathering.

Once again I would like to thank Steve for putting on a great event!

I have several movies of kettlebell juggling and the rolling thunder tug-o-war that I will post in the near future.

The pictures are in my gallery at:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...album&album=159

Vlad, great job on the pics and on the vids!!! :mosher

• 1 month later...