Iron Will Results

Clay Edgin

Man, you couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day today. Mid 50's to 60's, skies clear as a whistle, and we were able to get 18 competitors through 5 events in about 3.5 hours. Nobody got hurt, nothing broke (except for a 2x4 on the loading platform), and I think everyone had a good time.

Here are some quick results:

Women:

1st Shannon Moran

2nd Teale Adelmann

3rd Jeniffer Littleton

Masters:

1st Eddie Bustillos

2nd Ed Kisner

LW Men:

1st Warren Wylupski

2nd Charles Valencia

MW Men:

1st Scott Porter (MachineAZ)

2nd Rich Kahle

3rd Nick Buderus

4th Chris Anderson

5th Travis Clary

6th Brad Schofield

7th Ryan Klein

HW Men:

1st Brian Shaw

2nd Clay Edgin

3rd Nick Detman

4th Rob Schubert

Grip contest results:

1st Clay Edgin

2nd Brian Shaw

3rd Ryan Klein

4th Shawn Littleton

5th Brad Schofield

6th - tie Scott Porter and Chan Robertson

Guys, Brian is the real deal. 6'8", 315 lean pounds. Deadlifted the Inch right and left EASILY multiple times upon request. 9" hands. He closed my #3, missed a hard Elite by 1/16", two hand pinched 200 with lots of gas in the tank, one hand pinched 95lbs without chalk or warmup, pulled 180 on the equalizer handle, and is just one of those guys who is freaky strong all around. He also ran with 300lbs per hand on 2" handles for 100ft in 14 seconds.

My personal highlights include: winning the stones event, missing my SE (like a solid #4) by 1/16", two hand pinch 190 (PR), unseasoned LGC vbar lift of 350 with room to spare, and a one hand deadlift of 650 (plus 22lbs for implement) that I cleared by more than enough lift but I accidentally touched it with my non-lifting hand so I didn't count it. Also made it 100ft with 300lbs per hand on 2" handles in 16 seconds, a PR. Two flips on the 1130lb tire too, but one didn't count because it was falling over when time expired. Brian got all three flips!

It was great to meet Ryan too. That is a strong dude. I was stunned when he said his opening vbar lift was 300! Unlike a lot of people who are just doing this and are not serious, Ryan's able to make very good strategic decisions about his lifts in contests and that will help him quite a bit in the future.

George, there won't be a DVD; I just have some video footage that my wife took of Jeniffer and I competing in the strongman comp - no grip pics or videos though.

Full strongman results were emailed to Dione and full grip results were emailed to Bob Lipinski who will put them on his site soon.

Iron Will Grip Results

(none of the weights listed include the weight of the implement)

Grippers (only best closes listed):

Clay Edgin – Elite

Ryan Klein - #3

Shawn Littleton - #3

Brian Shaw - #3

Scott Porter – HG250

Brad Schofield – HG250

Chandos Robertson - #1

Two Hand Plate Pinch (highest weight listed):

Brian Shawn – 200lbs

Clay Edgin – 190lbs

Shawn Littleton – 180lbs

Ryan Klein – 160lbs

Brad Schofield – 140lbs

Chan Robertson – 140lbs

Scott Porter – 0 (bicep strain)

Unseasoned LGC Replica Vbar:

Clay Edgin – 350lbs

Brian Shaw – 315lbs

Ryan Klein – 312.5lbs

Shawn Littleton – 310lbs

Scott Porter – 240lbs

Chandos Robertson – 205lbs

Brad Schofield – 180lbs

2.5” thick spinning handle:

Brian Shaw – 180lbs

Ryan Klein – 160lbs

Shawn Littleton - 147.5lbs

Clay Edgin - 140lbs

Brad Schofield – 120lbs

Scott Porter – 0lbs

Chandos Robertson – 0lbs

One Hand Deadlift (similar to European setup):

Clay Edgin – 550lbs

Ryan Klein – 500lbs

Brian Shaw – 400lbs

Shawn Littleton – 340lbs

Chandos Robertson – 300lbs

Scott Porter – 0lbs

Brad Schofield – 0lbs

FINAL RESULTS:

1. Clay Edgin (9 points)

2. Brian Shaw (10 points)

3. Ryan Klein (14.5 points)

4. Shawn Littleton (17.5 points)

5. Brad Schofield (29 points)

7. Scott Porter (30.5 points)

7. Chan Robertson (30.5 points)

Clay did a great job of organizing and running the events. Like he said earlier it was a fast competition. Implements were set up and ready for the next competitor immediatley. And it was a great day to compete, the cold weather stayed away throughout the contest.

Clay,

Congrats for winning the grip competition and doing so well in the strongman part.

Good golly 350 on an unseasoned bar - that is scary.

-Jedd-

That farmer's walk sounds like a grip feat in itself! Sounds like you put on a great contest, Clay! Congrats to all!

I've never done v-bar, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, buit how do you season one?

MMMMMM To it would just be using it so the end has been chaled up a lot and not as slippery but I am new so dont take my word for it

• 5 years later...

How about this? A "Bump" after almost 6 years!

Why? Check it out, this was the first time I think anyone ever heard of Brian Shaw. And now, he is the World's Strongest Man.

LOL, I didn't look at the date and was pumped to see Clay Edgin and Ryan Klein competing again. Then I was wondering why Clay Edgin felt the need to tell people that Brian Shaw was the real deal...and then i saw the date :grin:

LOL, I didn't look at the date and was pumped to see Clay Edgin and Ryan Klein competing again. Then I was wondering why Clay Edgin felt the need to tell people that Brian Shaw was the real deal...and then i saw the date :grin:

Ryan Klein...wonder what happened to him. He had a classic line years ago. He was such a nice mild-mannered guy, and then he made some crack when someone complained about the One Inch Vertical Bar, about "pussies" that many on the forum were able to milk for laughs for about a year :grin:

But this thread was the first "Brian Shaw" sighting I ever had, and his WSM win triggered my digging it up. Big congratulations to him for coming a long way since 2005!

• 6 years later...

Clay actually is competing again but hadn't seen this before. Interesting results.