Inch Dumbbell Dimensions

perrymk

I'm just curious. What are the dimensions of the Thomas Inch Dumbbell?

overall length?

diameter of weighted ends?

length of handle? (I think I read it is 4 inches)

Anything I forgot?

Thanks in advance.

Perry

I can't answer your question but have an additional one. I have heard the handle diameter is 2.375" on the original but the replicas are 2.47" - anyone know the story behind this or is this correct?

in the ironmind catalogue the dimensions are

20'' overall lenght ;4'' long handel and 2.47'' diameter

I kept searching and found on another site:

20" overall length,

8.5" diameter of the spheres at each end,

and the handle was 7.75" in circumference, 2.47" in diameter and 4" long.

With a 2.47" handle, it would apparently be harder than lifting 172 on RT. Is it much harder, or is that a very person-to-person thing?

Its like night and day comparied to 172 on the RT. You better be in the 200's to get the inch althoguh there is no direct correlation, I doubt any 200 or below RT lifters will lift the inch.

Its like night and day comparied to 172 on the RT. You better be in the 200's to get the inch althoguh there is no direct correlation, I doubt any 200 or below RT lifters will lift the inch.

Good, gotta have something to look forward to!

i think you're right on that. i don't see any 200 or below RTs taking up the inch.

I've seen Martin Ressel (who is a gripboard member) getting air under the Inch after the German Grip Championships (where he lift 170kg on the Axle and 82,5 or 85kg on the RT! He would have lifted the Inch (righty and lefty) if he had not competed.

I think you need bout 100kg on the rolling thunder to be in inch lifting domain.

I don't think so

Yeah, you could be right. I deadlifted an inch replica several times during training last night. The lifts weren't that easy. My rolling thunder is about 110kg at the moment. Who Knows. Mobster reckons there isn't that much correlation - he could be right.

• Like 1

There's no comparison between a revolving sleeve and a solid dumbbell. I have yet to work out how much weight you need to be pulling on a RT and be capable of an Inch and I've done a shed load. As per my comment to Dave it's time to get the thick handled dumbbells out (via his 3.5 inch and smaller).

• Like 1

A further, clouding issue, is that the RT, to be compared at all, should be at the same starting height from the floor as is the Inch (which means you are standing on some sort of riser).

Or, start the Inch grasp at the same height as the RT handle, by lifting it from an elevated platform.

I suspect that many who could get air under the Inch by somehow connecting it to the RT handle, would by no means be able to get the Inch off the floor by grasping it alone.

I thought we beat the subject of "how much of a RT does it take to lift the Inch" pretty well around a month ago. It seems that we didn't know of anyone who lifted less than 190 lbs who could do it, and didn't know anyone lifting over 225 on the RT who was failing at it.

Other than that, which is a HUGE range, it depended on the person.

Hubgeezer

It seems that we didn't know of anyone who lifted less than 190 lbs who could do it...

That is not true... :) I mentioned someone ealier in this thread.

It seems that we didn't know of anyone who lifted less than 190 lbs who could do it...

That is not true... :) I mentioned someone ealier in this thread.

Okay, I see it. Was it 85kg without the weight of the device? 82.5 with the device? 85kg would be 187, plus 6 lbs for the device, for a total of 193. Or, 82.5 with the device would be a mere 182 lbs.

If a 182 RT lifter can do the Inch, that would be a runaway winner. I am not aware of any other sub-190 RT lifters pulling the Inch.

I suspect the 82.5/85 are not his top lifts.

Hubgeezer

Burki,

I guess you're refering to Martin Ressel.

Two points to his Inch-Lift:

1. The 82.5kg were lifted in his last attempt and looked quite easy, so he could have lifted a bit more

2. The used RT was still very smooth (since he was lubricated in earlier days), so on a 'normal' (new) RT Martin would lift more also. I could lift 7.5kg more on a new RT than on this RT.

So 190-200 is a good approach for me and I'm quite sure there's some correlation between the two lifts. Its for sure not 1 but its definately closer to 1 than to zero

(in the mathemalical sense of the term 'correlation').

Beyond that Martin did no full deadlift with the inch.

I don't have an Inch to clean and I have focused only on competitions this last year. My best effort was a while back at an OHF dinner and was to the bottom of my rib cage. Plus my dip/split was shite.

Chris, nowhere near. I am far too weak even if I had the grip strength. No technique either. Quite embarrassing really :blush

Thanks for the response guys.

Jim,

If your weak we should all give up now !!

Jim Wylie BRITISH GRIP CHAMPION !!!

Big Steve ,

If you don't mind, in the new year i'd like to come up to your house and give the MDB Aanother shot and i'll bring a Thomas Inch replica with me and we'll go through the clean together.

I'm well up for it. Shall we say end of January? I usually need about six weeks solid thick handled dumbbell training to get air under the MDB. End of Jaunary would be about right. I'll make this Wednesday night my first serious grip training session since the Champion of Champions event. Bring da Inch!! If someone can video it as well... Jim - time to get air under the Inch again but good!!!