Natey vs the #3

Nathan Say

Started Steve Justa's singles plan #1 today (Sunday Apr. 7th) for strapholds. I think instead of posting every workout I'll do weekly updates because everybody knows what I'll be doing during each session. Today I did:

#1+27.5x1x3

It felt light, which is a good start. I'm doing fairly short holds, maybe 4-5 seconds so I can use more weight & not get worn out. Over the course of the week, adding 2 singles each day I'll work up to #1+27.5x1x15 & then add weight.

My comp wasn't working for some reason this morning.  :(  Anyway last week was excellent & 27.5 felt light  & I went up to #1+32.5lbs today & I'll keep that up for the rest of the week. 3 holds today working up to 15 on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay that idea sucked. At least I know now that I need more intensity. Now that I've got the #3 I'm gonna start doing the Richard Sorin 'help close it with the thigh' thing. I'll close the stupid thing as much as I can & then help as much as I need to close it completely with my free hand or thigh & hold until it starts to open. No negatives! I still want to be able to do a little each day & I don't want to be sore (& then a little more the next day, etc). I think my chances of making the fall issue of Milo have slipped to only about 96%.  :p

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, got my gripper machine last week or something & I'm a week or so into a new routine. It's tough, but I'm not burnt out, so I'm going to stick with it. It's also top secret though, so I won't really go into the details until I've slammed the #3 or the BBE. Basically it's an idea that's been around for a long time & Anthony Ditillo, Peary Rader, Charles Poliquin & Harry Paschall have written about it, but I don't think anyone has trained grip this way before. I WISH I'd started it a couple months ago! I'm also using a progression thing similar to what Calvert writes about in the Milo courses. See ya in Milo!  :p

The deadline for the Sept issue is like 3 months before Sept or close to it if I remember correctly.  So, it's likely you have the month of June (or till mid June I think) to get the job done. :)

What grip machine did you get?

I got a welder to do up one of those generic ones, like the one either Steve Jeck or John Brookfield demo in MoHS (can't remember who exactly & I don't feel like getting up & looking). I'm not sure I can get it done by the end of the month, of course I'll try though. I'll have it done by my (& Louis Cyr's) birthday-guaranteed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I can curl a 45 I can concentrate more on crushing. I've got 111 days before my (& Louis Cyr's) birthday to get it done & I think that's realistic. A lot more realistic than trying to close the #3 before the end of June  :p Doug Hepburn said you're a lot tougher bodywise than you think & Charles Poliquin said fatigue masks fitness & my old rowing coach said after about 2 weeks the body starts to adapt to huge workloads, so I'm taking all that to heart. I'm doing strapholds again & plier lifts on top of what I'm already doing. That should do the trick. After all that work & a week or so to 'taper' I think I can get it done by Oct.  :)

double-stamped #3 (actually an inscription on a rock from Frankenstein's monster to Victor Frankenstein): "Come on, my enemy; we have yet to wrestle for our lives but many hard and miserable hours must you endure until that period shall arrive."

Natey (actually Frankenstein thinking to himself upon reading the inscription): "Scoffing devil! Again do I vow vengeance; again do I devote thee, miserable fiend, to torture & death. Never will I give up my search, until he or I perish..."   :crazy

Aw h-e-l-l, that 'super secret' exercise is close-range isometronics on my crush machine. It's not like a whole training system like that KTA thing so what's the big deal if everyone finds out?  :crazy  :p Antoine Ditillo really liked isometronics in the power rack when he was training & overcrushes with grippers really help closing strength (which I desperately need btw) so I took it one step further & got a crush machine so I can add resistance as well instead of keeping it the same as with overcrushes. It's working well for me along with the other stuff (1-arm plier deadlifts & strapholds), the trainer gives me trouble at the end of my [daily] workouts!  :0 If you don't already know, an isometronic rep is one where you set the pins in a power rack 4-6 inches apart & do your set & on the last rep, try to blast through the pins for 10 seconds. With the gripper machine, I have the handles about 2" apart & just with doubles I do a rep & then try to mash the bejeezus out of the handles on the 2nd rep for 10 seconds.  :crazy If I've helped anybody out I guess that's good too.  :)