Grip Warm-Ups

Guest Russell Latterman

Guest Russell Latterman

What's your favorite way to warm up for a grip workout?

I've tried a lot of different ways to do grip warmups.  I've found that the best way to warm up my grip is to do bench press.  I do a set of about 10 to failure, then a minute later I do my grip work.  I'm surprised that it works so well.  I would say that my grip is a full 10% stronger after I do a bench press warmup.  There is also another warmup I do if I can't do bench press on the same day.  For closing the #2, all I do is pick it up and try to close it, then wait ten minutes and try it again.  On the second try I'm allways much stronger.  This warm up also works well.

So post any warm up routine you have, especially if it is crazy or unusual.  Are there any of you who just skip warmups all together?

I run my hands under hot water until i can't stand it anymore.  Then I bend my hands back and forth to stretch them.  After that I play some tunes, either Pantera or some country (thats kinda weird isn't it).  I do a single rep on the Trainer, #1, new #2, wait five minutes and then attack the old #2.  If I do thick handled dbs and stuff, I just lift and then do some warmups on the db.  I do the grippers at home and the dbs at the gym.  Thats why the different warmups.

JD

Russell,

This is a question that will differ for each and every person (grip trainer).  There's an old saying that goes, "If you don't have time to warm-up, you don't have time to train".  I try to do some sort of warm-up before I grip train, either light gripper work or stretching or something along those lines.  I have a great post-recovery therapy after a HEAVY grip session (icy-hot!).  And of course no grip session that I do goes over 20 minutes (this again will vary from person to person).

Experiment!  Bench presses crush my hands.... I don't know what poundage you are using, but I don't do them when I am about to do grip work.  Whatever works for you, I guess.

I always do curls before I start a workout.  I do something pretty light 2 sets for 6-8 reps, but I squeeze the **** out of them.  Then I set it down and warm-up with the grippers.  As Sybersnott said, each to their own.  :)

Good Luck, train hard, and train smart.

Guest 2DOGZ

I use an "Iron Palm" warm up method, I learnt from www.wle.com... It's pretty straightforward...

a) Wrist circles (both ways, about 25 - 50 times)

b) Arm circles (as it sounds circle your arm 25 times one way and 25 the other... you want to feel the blood go towards your hands, so you whipping your hands REALLY fast)...

c) Arm flicks (put your arm in a "star trek chest salute", and flick your arm out to your side 25 times each... again you want to feel the blood go to your hands)...

Then I just work my way up the COC...

Of course, you don't want to forget about your deep breathing (between sets, I do a lot of breathing) and visualization...

Finally, I NEVER fail to make a lift... I always explain/yell (if I'm alone, I'm not gonna yell at the gym, what do you think I'm a nut?) at the weight/COC/whatever that it I am much stronger than it will ever hope to be and that next time I will kick it's mo fo ass... (Just my little mental training point)

I do my grip work after my other lifting is done.  For some reason, I perform better when the whole body is raring to go.  When warming up to close the #3, I do 6-7 fast reps with the #1, 3 fast reps with the #2, and 2 fast reps with the BB Master.  My first close with the #3 is usually the least explosive, and they get easier for the next two or three singles.  I guess I take a long time to get warmed up.

(Edited by 3Crusher at 1:38 pm on April 9, 2001)