The Nailman's Top 50 & Top 20 Bending List (merged) 9-28-14

EricMilfeld

Gazza, I can't imagine someone being able to bend a 5.5" stainless and not being able to do a Magnificent Bastard. I would have to rank a Grand Shiny higher than a Magnificent Bastard. Your bending has surpassed mine, therefore, I think you'd be a perfect candidate to help us decide how to rank these other-worldly bends. I think a 5 3/4" stainless could very well be more difficult than a Magnificent Bastard, as well. Gazza, do you have any Bastard stock in stock?

And at the same time, I think the paraphrase that Franky cited is still pretty valid.

I've just added two new names to the list. Jedd Johnson has conquered the Huge Bastard, and Ben Edwards the Big Bastard. Congratulations, guys!!!

Eric

Problems i have at the moment are the shorter stuff 5.5 and 5".I had to change my technique a few months back as i was bending over the tops of the index fingers between the top 2 knuckles and this ended up with me almost permanently injuring my hands it got 2 the piont that i could not even bend an easy 60d without severe pain :cry so i adapted my technique and started to work on 6.5"stock and now find 6.5-6 stock fine for me.

Me and Maxwell have got loads of fbbc stock the only thing we dont have are the new big g2s,hex bastards and stainless squire.

I have put a big kink in a couple of grand bastards but then coulkd not move the bar quick enough through the sweep to crush it,this is also whats stopping me on the 5 3/4"stainless even tho this is slightly longer as it it bends it creates a bigger radius and i have then like the shorter bars less to work with in my hands,also i now i am lacking the speed on the kink and sweep to get into the crush faster.The crush on those short stainless bars really does hammer my fingers and knuckles :cry

At the moment i would much rather work on 6.5-6 stuff but harder than the 5/16"round stainless.I have some 5/16" stainless hex and some 9mms stainless round i think i will have a mess with those.At this moment in time i dont want to risk injury going for a lot shorter bar and mess up my progress altogether,i have some of the big g5s the 7" is a technique issue and a cut one to 6.5 or 6" i know i am not strong enough on the kink yet,maybe in the crush zone once i can get them there as i have crushed prekinked 7" big g5s down to 1.5" between the legs.

Just need to work harder on my pussy kink and sweep and also on the sub 6"stuff.

Just need to work harder on my pussy kink and sweep and also on the sub 6"stuff.

Trade you some of my kink for a bit of your Crush Gary.

-Sean

I've just added two new names to the list. Jedd Johnson has conquered the Huge Bastard, and Ben Edwards the Big Bastard. Congratulations, guys!!!

Congrats Jedd on that monster bend! :rock:bow

As for me...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :upsidedwn

Thanks Eric for adding me to the list! It's so very nice to finally work my way on to the Top 50 list. :rock

Here's to all the benders on the board. :cool And here's to climbing the list the old fashioned way...working harder and smarter than I am now. :cool

With his recent bend of a 6" Red Nail, Mike Hadland has climbed up to the 24th position. Go, Mike!

Gazza, it does become a matter of personal opinion when we start comparing bends of differing kinks and crushes. But with all things considered, I'm still leaning towards promoting a 5.5" Shiny above a Magnificent Bastard. Anyone else care to chime in?

Eric

I could not sleep last night so did a little experiment on some steel after 12.00am :D

I took 1x grand bastard,1xmagnificent bastard and 1xgrand shiny bastard and prekinked them all in a vise to 95degrees did a little warm up 10x60ds easy ones DU then crushed down the grand bastard,waited 5mins then crushed down the magnificent bastard this was very hard compared to the grand bastard,waited 10mins then went after the grand shiny bastard help :cry nearly had a hernia and it didnt move at all :D

Went for a 25 mins walk with the dog .

Prekinked another grand and magnificent bastards to 95degrees warmed up and went after the grand bastard again,moved it to about 110degrees in about 5mins on and off :cry

Rested 10 mins and then had a very hard fight with a magnificent bastard from 95degrees to just outside of 2",then rested for another 10mins and crushed down the grand bastard from 95dto under 2"between legs,rested another 5mins then had another fight with the grand shiny bastard it did not move.

I would have to say that in this small test which is by no means exhaustive that the grand shiny bastard for me is the hardest to crush down,they are all equally as hard for me on the kink as the shorter stuff is a technique issue at the moment.

I would say that Pat,Greg and Dave would be capable of finishing of a 5.5 grand shiny bastard since there short bar bending is vastly superior to mine,i would also say that the crushdown on the Insane bastard must be alot higher than a grand shiny bastard plus the reduced 1"length no wonder its Insane :bow

Typing this now my fingers ,especially the knuckles are really sore and puffed up and when i try to make a fist the tendons in the 2 biggest fingers off my left hand feel as tho there catching on something :cry Also got a bad cramping thingy :D under my left armpit when i lift my arm up.

Rest! Rest! Rest! Feel like i am seizing up just sitting here :D Even my jaw is aching must have been all the clenching :D

Once again, the board has humbled me..... :bow

congratulations Gazza.......You are exactly what the bending world needed..a swift kick in the pants....

never quit man and take you strength as high as the ladder will allow......

I am in awe. :rock

burner

With his recent bend of a 6" Red Nail, Mike Hadland has climbed up to the 24th position. Go, Mike!

Great job Mike! :rock

I don't see any Hexabastards on the list right now. I'm curious where that would rate at. I don't know if I'd be able to finish or start one if I'm only at the Big Bastard level right now. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before guys.

What a badass list! Nice idea Eric. I can't wait to bully my way into the 50 spot... :whistel

Took me long enough, didn't it? :blink:tongue

Burner

When i get my kink as explosive as yours i will be happy.

Just put a photo in my gallery of last nights crushdown workout.

I think i overdid it a little last night as it hurts even typing this despite iceing my hands on and off from 3am.

Knuckles and tendons in fingers are really sore shoulders are realy sore but my hands are worse :cry

Might have to take a break and i realy hate not bending :D

Keep up the good work lads and i will be back :whacked

Ben

A 7"Hex bastard will be around a bout a big bastard.

Burner

When i get my kink as explosive as yours i will be happy.

Just put a photo in my gallery of last nights crushdown workout.

I think i overdid it a little last night as it hurts even typing this despite iceing my hands on and off from 3am.

Knuckles and tendons in fingers are really sore shoulders are realy sore but my hands are worse :cry

Might have to take a break and i realy hate not bending :D

Keep up the good work lads and i will be back :whacked

Ben

A 7"Hex bastard will be around a bout a big bastard.

Thanks a lot Gazza! And congrats again on your phenomenal bending progress lately! :rock

It's been driving me nuts trying to figure out how to progress on the list...like a Huge Bastard OR a 7" Stainless Bastard, or any other of a million different steel and hardness/length combos. :blink I do want the Huge Bastard soon but I don't think anything under 6" at that difficulty will be possible for me. Maybe the longer and a bit harder stuff like the Hex and Stainless...but again I'll have to wait and see when I make a big FBBC order soon. :cool

Wow, thanks for that experiment Gary.

And its mind boggling that you crushed down all those pieces IN A SINGLE WORKOUT!! :bow:bow

You will TOTALLY demolish us german benders in the upcoming contest. :ohmy

Great job, you are my new hero ... :kiss

Thanks for the compliments guys :D just trying to do my bit.

Franky i still have much work to do on the kink and sweep of short stock.Its funny but my palms feel great but my fingers and knuckles feel like i punched a wall.Last nights bending session was pure anger and hate,i had a row with my wife and i got the sack from work last friday so i was really...................hard to discribe but i felt like the hulk in the movie when the anger took over :blush I could feel my fingers wanting to break and i did try to break them on the stainless :blush I guesse all out anger sometimes masks the injury pain.

Sitting here now i feel like i did a few rounds with Tyson :D

Ben the crs hex is a little more painfull than the round and the stainless is harder on the crush.Your chioce bro :D

And to think i was even gonna try and crushdown a 6"x5/16"Hex Stainless last night(maybe 1 day).

Gary,:blink That's all I got...

Gary's the man!

Thanks for the experiment, Gary. I think your results clinch it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Hadland's recent storm of ferocious bending has rocketed him all the way up to the number 6 spot. Nice work with that Shiny Bastard, Mike!

Thanks Eric!!! I really like using suede pads :D

i am becoming a bit confused as to how the rankings are being derived. according to the calibrations, shouldn't the list be the following:

4.5" round

5" round

6" stainless - 715lbs

5.5" round - 695lbs

6" hex - 675lbs

6.5" stainless - 625lbs

i am having a difficult time observing the consistency of the rankings.

5.75" Red Nail to less than 90 degrees early this morning! :blink I think the next time I give one of these a shot and am well rested and coffeed up to the gills that it will go. Working hard on my crushdown because it's letting me down every time now.

Been working hard on my crushdown and got a 6.25" Red Nail earlier today in 56 seconds for a new PR! Used leather and Ironmind pads on top like usual. Got it to 2" on the dot and it took a bit of a fight to get there. I won't be getting that Huge Bastard in 2 minutes or less for a little while. Thanks for the inspiration guys! :rock

I've e-mailed the video to Franky and hopefully it will pass muster and move me up a few notches on the list!

i am becoming a bit confused as to how the rankings are being derived. according to the calibrations, shouldn't the list be the following:

4.5" round

5" round

6" stainless - 715lbs

5.5" round - 695lbs

6" hex - 675lbs

6.5" stainless - 625lbs

i am having a difficult time observing the consistency of the rankings.

I added a disclaimer when I originally posted the calibration list, stating that comparing stocks of different lengths soley on a poundage basis does not yield meaningful results.

Eric, what does it take to get on the top 50 list these days? a 6.5" red or bastard?

- Aaron