The Nailman's Top 50 & Top 20 Bending List (merged) 9-28-14

EricMilfeld

Eric

I agree if someone is intent on cheating they will always find a way,but they are only fooling themselves and will eventually get called out.

A take it as a great HONOUR to be a part of this list ERIC to try and do battle with my fellow bending buddies from around the world :D I started off in 44place now down to 49th place :cry Will just have to get Stronger no room in my vocabluary for cheating.

i think if it is a well known respected member you shouldnt need a witness.

imo if that member could be a witness to someone elses cert they could be their own witness too.

im sure someone would try and cheat the system but i think they would get caught pretty quickly.

The Nailman's Top 50 Bending List is kind of like the very productive bending or gripping races some of our fellow Gripsters are in at the moment.

The little friendly competition adds that little edge or ump-fff to get people moving towards their goals and even beyond.

So this is friendly race game so to speak for all benders out there to keep themselves interested and motivated to keep their names on the list or have their name added to the list.

Personally I hope the list keeps changing, benders going up and new benders jumping on but unfortunately that means eventually some one will drop off the list but there again it gives them the kick in the pants to train harder and get right back on there.

THANKS ERIC U-ROCK! :rock FOR KEEPING UP WITH THIS EVER CHANGING LIST, THIS WAS TRULY A GREAT MOTIVATING TOOL FOR US ALL.

CHEATING :angry: - Well I won't even go on that tangent of what I think.

I honestly dont think anyone would try to cheat the system as of at the moment. Simply because everyone seems to know everyone and a lot of people have met one another and such.

Up here in Canada land, there are only 3 of us benders and its hard to have a witness, but as long as only a video is needed and we are considered credible, I think it should be fine as long as we measure and such. Im gonna bring my web cam down to school with me so next time itll be all good.

As for cheating, I dont think anyone will cheat just because if someone is suspicious, one of the big guns will call them up to a challenge and if they dont bust out then its obvious.

just my 2 cents. This list makes me excited personally. Even writing this lil blur, I have to go out and cut down some reds t keep myself content.

Without a witness, someone who cared to cheat the current process could anneal a bar prior to bending it.

Basically someone just needs to heat up the center of the bar to 1400 degree F, then air cool it.  They'll have pearlite in the center of the bar, which has a yield strength much lower than normal steel:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/heat.html

I think it would be pretty obvious if you heated somthing up with a blowtorch.

Notice that I've frozen the list at the end of 2005, and have kept the list going for the year 2006. I just made a few updates, as well. Congrats to Gator for making the 42nd spot with a cert bend of a Bastard bar back on the 30th. And the first two new additions for 2006 are my pal Jason William's bend of a grade 9 and my certification bend of a Huge Hexabastard, performed today.

Now ya gotta bend at least a Red to get on the list the stakes are getting high :blink

I know, it's gettin' crazy! Of course, a 5" grd 8 or a 5.5" grd 9 could do the trick, as well.

So a 5" grade 8 will be reconized over a 6"grade 9 :cool I will have to try and get one of these then as well,tried 1 but only got it to 3inches in the time limit for gboard cert.

I'm not a bender but I find this living, breathing list a great thing. Watching it constantly change almost daily shows what competition can do. Only on the GripBoard can you call someone a Bastard and have them love you for it :rolleyes

I'm not a bender but I find this living, breathing list a great thing. Watching it constantly change almost daily shows what competition can do. Only on the GripBoard can you call someone a Bastard and have them love you for it :rolleyes

I agree with this. This is a great list and it's nice to see it constantly updated like the vertical bar list is. Makes it very hard to rest on your laurels if you want to keep your spot. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great list!

I wish I could get James 'Shrug' Smith out of bending retirement. He could claim the top spot in less then 6 months. I personally watched him put the hurt down on a 4 and 3/4" red.....double under. :blink

Shrug-get back to bending man!

-Rick

Congrats to Nick Savona for moving even further up the list with a Big Bastard certification!

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the list with tonight's bend of the Edgin. I stay in the same spot, though.

I just updated the list with Bob's fantastic Red bend. Wow! Now there's only one bend on the list less than a Red in difficulty. We've come a long way in the last few years!

Congrats Bob for making into the top-50 list.

Wow, soon we have only Reds and tougher stuff in that list.

That means a Bastard Bar or an IM Red cert or a shortened Red is required to enter the list.

Mindboggling. :whacked

Eric,

Why does a Red rate higher on the chart than a 6" x 1/4" Grade 8 Hex Bolt ?

Your own testing and calibration shows the Grade 8 taking more pressure to bend than the Red.

My personal experiance matches up with your poundage ratings.

Also, would a 5" x 1/4" Grade 5 hex bolt not but one on the list. Your chart rates it at 515 lbs of pressure to bend compared to the 460 for the Grade 8 and 415 for the Red.

Thanks in advance.

Eric,

Your own testing and calibration shows the Grade 8 taking more pressure to bend than the Red.

Also, would a 5" x 1/4" Grade 5 hex bolt not but one on the list. Your chart rates it at 515 lbs of pressure to bend compared to the 460 for the Grade 8 and 415 for the Red.

Thanks in advance.

Travis, the poundage ratings are only meaningful when comparisons are made with stocks of the same length.

Eric,

Thanks in advance.

Travis, the poundage ratings are only meaningful when comparisons are made with stocks of the same length.

Cool.

Makes sense.

Thx.

I just updated the list with Nick Savona's climb to the sixteenth spot. Great bend, Nick!

With Deaner's Red Nail cert and Nick's Grand Bastard cert, both guys climb up a few rungs on the list. Way to go!