The Nailman's Top 50 & Top 20 Bending List (merged) 9-28-14

EricMilfeld

I was pleased to add Nick Savona (diesel) to the list.  He posted a video of his 30 second Red demolition using IM pads, performed with fire and fury, a while back.  But because he was not on the Gripboard certs list I overlooked him.  Sorry Nick.  This does bring up a good point, though.  I've decided to add names to the list without a Gripboard member witnessing the bend, if good, clear video is made available, and the bender is in good standing with the Gripboard.

Sooo, if some of you other guys who might fall under this category want to speak up and direct me to your video I'll gladly add your name to the list.  Thanks.

does this mean you can cert for the gripboard without a witness as long as you have good clear video now?

or is it just for the list?

This is under discussion right now. But for now it applies only to the top 50 list.

QUOTE(EricMilfeld @ Dec 14 2005, 02:35 PM)

I was pleased to add Nick Savona (diesel) to the list.  He posted a video of his 30 second Red demolition using IM pads, performed with fire and fury, a while back.  But because he was not on the Gripboard certs list I overlooked him.  Sorry Nick.  This does bring up a good point, though.  I've decided to add names to the list without a Gripboard member witnessing the bend, if good, clear video is made available, and the bender is in good standing with the Gripboard.

Sooo, if some of you other guys who might fall under this category want to speak up and direct me to your video I'll gladly add your name to the list.  Thanks.

does this mean you can cert for the gripboard without a witness as long as you have good clear video now?

or is it just for the list?

just to not cause controversy, frankyboy did clear me for a GB cert---it was, i think, forgotten to be added to wanna's main list. also, i did have a GB witness for the bend. the video was used as further justification to both frankyboy and other members. i don't want to make it sound like i didn't play by the rules or that the rules should change; i just think my name was lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Nick,

I posted your Red bend here:

Nick Savona

But I forgot to update the main bending cert list.

Thats corrected now.

Next time, just send me a PM.

You have to have a witness for the MMs, why not for bending?

Because you can modify grippers to make them look like there something there not.

You cant do that with nails, and if you did, it would be pretty obvious, measure a red nail, show the red on the end, wrap it and bend it with out it leaving the camera, then measure it.

I think if you are a credible member of the gripboard, you show it is a rednail(or what ever you claim it to be), and its length, and it doesn't leave the camera, there is no need for a witness.

Agreed with Oldtime, if you are a GB member and held credible then it should be fine to just vid it without another gb member..

6.5 FBBC is easier than a 6 inch red??? can someone explain this to me. 6 inch red easy, 6.5 FBBC non kinkable ....

Agreed with Oldtime, if you are a GB member and held credible then it should be fine to just vid it without another gb member..

6.5 FBBC is easier than a 6 inch red???  can someone explain this to me. 6 inch red easy, 6.5 FBBC non kinkable ....

It' due, in part, to steel strength variance with the Reds and Bastards. I have some "tough" Reds and some "easy" Bastard bars out in the garage that are almost indistinguishable, though the Bastards are a bit tougher. Again, this is not an exact science, and I'm trying to weigh all variables and make the best educated guess I can.

Eric,

I broke a 6" x 1/4" Grade 8 Hex Bolt in 26 seconds. Here is the video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=17088

Will this get me on the top 50 list ?

Travis, Looks like you now have to do a 5.5" grade 8 at a minimum to make the list. A 6" grade 8 will put you tied with others but because they did it earlier you are not in front of them.... Get after the 5.5" buddy!!!

Eric,

I broke a 6" x 1/4" Grade 8 Hex Bolt in 26 seconds. Here is the video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=17088

Will this get me on the top 50 list ?

Travis, Looks like you now have to do a 5.5" grade 8 at a minimum to make the list. A 6" grade 8 will put you tied with others but because they did it earlier you are not in front of them.... Get after the 5.5" buddy!!!

I'll do it.

Travis grade 8x5.5"peice a cake for you bro :D

Wopw this list shure is cool as you cant rest on your but if ya near the bottom for long,just have to get stronger to work my way up the list before im off it again :D

If you wish to make the list via video, without a witness, please measure the length of the bar, as well as the inside width of the bar at the completion of the bend, in the video. Also, the bend must be completed within two minutes. If it's a graded bolt, you'll also want to get a shot of the bolt's head. Thanks.

Congratulations to one strong dude, Dude! Ron bent the Huge Bastard bar with IM wraps in convincing style, to take the #15 spot.

Only two 6" grd 8 bends left on the list. Man, we're gettin' strong!

Congrats to GatorGrip for making the list with one very easy looking Red bend!

:D 49th mate,dropping faster than Everton at the mo :laugh looks like your going to have to kill that big boy tomorrow? :yikes

Only two 6" grd 8 bends left on the list.  Man, we're gettin' strong!

That sounds even cooler:

Soon you'll need to at least cert on the Red or on a FBBC bar to get a spot in the GB top-50 list.

However, that would place you only at rank 40 or 42. :whacked

today a 6.5 fbbc went down, do I send the vid to eric or frankyboy?

well anyways, if either of you read this, the vid will be in my gallery and Left Side was the witness, we measured it before and after and all of that.

I dont know the rules, but do you have to measure in your vid? if so, round 2 next week.

well anyways, if either of you read this, the vid will be in my gallery and Left Side was the witness, we measured it before and after and all of that.

I dont know the rules, but do you have to measure in your vid? if so, round 2 next week.

Pretty sure you have to measure how long it is, bend it, and measure distance between legs.

Nice stuff man,how hard was it?

It won't be to much longer before this will be just a Big List of Bastards. :laugh

CONGRATS TO ALL - NOW GO GET BENT !!! :rock

GG, i take that as an insult, YOU GO GET BENT! haha. I am honestly very excited to see this list become a pure list of bastards. Its only a matter of time until people start bending things that were never even thought possible. Im very honored to be apart of this sport in such a critical time.

Oldy, that last peice was simply a mutant. I was tired from teh long drive last night and therefore it took me about 30 seconds to bend a red nail, which is pretty slow for me. It wasnt much harder than a red honestly. I def had a 6 in me but dont have any until I go back to school, I left them all there. But now that Im home it gives me a chance to buy some more steel to cart back down south with me and start training for real again.

Edited by Muscle Turtle

Pretty sure you have to measure how long it is, bend it, and measure distance between legs.

Turtle, this is correct. But very nice bending, regardless!

Without a witness, someone who cared to cheat the current process could anneal a bar prior to bending it.

Basically someone just needs to heat up the center of the bar to 1400 degree F, then air cool it. They'll have pearlite in the center of the bar, which has a yield strength much lower than normal steel:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/heat.html

Without a witness, someone who cared to cheat the current process could anneal a bar prior to bending it.

Basically someone just needs to heat up the center of the bar to 1400 degree F, then air cool it.  They'll have pearlite in the center of the bar, which has a yield strength much lower than normal steel:

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/heat.html

This is true, Scott. But the same is possible with a witness, as well. The main reason for the video is to allow someone knowledgeable about bending to watch for any possible rule infractions that the bender may commit unwittingly. Is a close friend acting as a witness, with or without video, a more credible form of certification than requiring video without a live witness? If someone really wants to cheat, they'll find a way. But keep in mind, I do reserve the right to refuse any cert bends if they are truly suspect. As of now, I see no need for concern in this area, thankfully. And hopefully, this will remain the case.

In short, almost anything short of a live contest is open to such mischief.