Progress good or not so good

I started doing direct grip work one month ago. When I started I could close the coc 1 left and right once with an explosive movement.

Since then I have been doing three exercises to strengthen my grip.

·3 sec positive 10 sec negative with the coc trainer until pos failure then forcing it closed, and then doing 10 sec neg until failure

·Wrist curls 10sec pos 10 sec neg until pos failure

·Griping a dumbbell with a straight wrist lowering it by rolling it down the fingers as low as possible and then rolling it back up in the fingers 10 sec pos 10 sec neg until pos failure. Then putting the weight down regrip and doing 10 sec neg until failure.

I do only one set per exercise and I do them on alternate Saturdays except for the coc work which I do every Saturday. That makes the total sets for all three exercises 8.

One month later I can do five reps 3sec pos, 1sec hold, 3sec neg with the no1 :shocked:

My Q’s to all the grip gurus out there are: In your opinion are the gains that I have been making great, good or not so good?

What do you guys think of my exercises?

What else should or could I be doing?  

And

How do you do proper plate curls?

Geneticperfection

The four steps to enlightenment no 1, 2, 3, and the GRAND MASTER 4

I just closed the 2 left and about 4mm short with the right! Whoo hoooo :shocked: :biggrin: :shocked:

GP,

You are WAY ahead of most newbies on this forum.  When I first started..... I couldn't close the #2.  BTW, I HATE your moniker - son, you're gonna have to learn some humility!!  Trying to close the #3 ought to do it.  But, you are on your way.  I would say the next step up for you is the BB Master.  You can order one from Weightlifter's Warehouse.  This is the equivalant of a 2 1/2 - a bit tougher than your #2.  Also.... you talk about NEGATIVES!  Thank God; now I'll have someone to talk to when discussing negatives - I love them.  They hurt like ####, but for me, the results are amazing.  I do them like Joe Kinney - "severe negatives".  You really need a grip machine (like the SW) for these.  You can use the grippers if you have nothing else.

Train twice a week if you can.  Heavy one workout - light the next.  Don't go crazy on the reps.  Hope this helped ya!   :)

Guest kINGPIN

Snott,

When you say one day heavy, one day light what do you mean?  Are you reffering to resistance, effort, volume or another variable?  At the moment I just train as hard as I can at both workouts.

Andy

Is there a reason for the exercise cadence? I have heard of Super Slow training but never have I encountered the training method applied to hand training. Also, spring-type devices such as torsion spring grippers and pulling strands of sufficient tension are supposed to favor an isokinetic movement. Thus, a deliberate cadence is not necessary.  

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! :cool:

I am going to try and recreate what I did with the trainer and no1, with the no1 and 2 (hope it works).

I live in the U.K. (originally from South Africa) so getting the coc grippers, never mind the price, was a miracle. I will try my best to get the BB master.

On the rep cadence- I have read all Mike Mentzer, Superslow guild and every thing I can lay my hands on from Arthur Jones. I have tried all they’re ideas and started experimenting with blending some of them together.  Thru experimentation I have learned that negative only (and superslow) lifting produce better and faster results for me. This unfortunately is very impractical because you need Arnold next to you to lift the weight. Thus I needed a way of getting around the problem and hence the +/- 3 sec pos (fast but not explosive) to replace Arnold and the 10sec negative, lift (negative emphasized lifting). Hopefully I will get the max benefit from both ends of the lift. I had better results with superslow than with any other rep cadence and even better with negative emphasized. When I started direct grip work I automatically used what I found work’s best for me, in my grip work. I am still experimenting and definitely open to new ideas.

The 3sec pos 1 sec hold 3sec negative I did the 5 reps with was just a cadence that most lifters can associate with. If I did 2 superslow reps with the no 1 I don’t think there are many guys out there that can associate with that even though time wise(time under load) it’s the same as the 5 reps I did.

Genticperfection

Tried the 3 and in the words of Joda:

Yes - Humbled by the 3, on your knees you will be. Not soon, try again you must-Yes. Now sleep, I must-Yes.

:shocked:

Who is this "Joda"?  Is he some super-strong dude that is a GripMaster?  Fill us in on the details....

Joda (if this is the correct spelling) is the Jedi Master (Star Wars). I'm sure he would be a grip master because he uses the FORCE, but he speaks back to front, real funny! :biggrin:

Checked starwars.com, I did.  Spoken with him, I have.  Yes, Yoda his name is.  Ends sentences with verbs, he does.  He closed the #4 with his mind.  But unfortunately, I don't have any photographic evidence or any reliable witnesses, and there's no mention of the feat in any of my back issues of Galactic Health or Force Fitness.

It WAS witnessed.  Contact Luke Skywalker for the details.  Pic to be published in MILO.... THAT will be something to see!  :)

• 3 weeks later...