Ironmind Tug?

Rick Walker

It's a shame they made so many entry level ones, but I suppose people here will buy them anyways to use a pony clamps.

EDIT: I personnaly vow never to buy one new or on it's own. If I do buy one it will come as a package lot with other grippers from a gripster who just realised he never really neaded all those different grippers in the first place.

Edited by Darco

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Champlin

• Rick Walker

• gerryg

• DAN PRAYDIS

Are you supposed to set it? I'd think it would be very hard to do with the short handle but the pic on IM shows the gripper WAY back towards the thumb so I'm curious what the spreads are and what advantages and disadvantages there would be to setting it?

Got a tug today.A#4.I have only closed the #2 reg.gripper in the past so this one is about right for my pinky and ring finger.Maybe a #5 would be perfect for me.

Most of you stronger guys will want the #5 thru #7.

Nice little tool.

That's what I was thinking! At $20 a pop I do not want to play around with trial and error!

same thought I was having, I have so many other proven grip tools on my wish list to buy these at the moment.

I think that these LOOK a bit weak. No disrespect intended to all those that posted! Nice one George. As the price is the same I'd be better off buying another gripper with fresh knurl and just making one of my older ones into a stub by filing it.

until I hear otherwise and it needs to be a whole lot of talk I will not be buying into this.

I look forward to hearing other reviews

Rydini

If you noticed, the diameter of the handles are quite a bit thicker than a normal

handle. This may well be the focus point of it`s functionality. I doubt, given the

differing sized diameters, one could replicate the Tugs` function with a normal

gripper.

I hear you Rick. I'll continue to sit on the bench until I hear some great feedback. At the moment I still need tetting grippers and lemleys. I'd rather buy another gripper than a tug for now to complete my collection.

Thanks all the same

Rydini

• 5 weeks later...

i want to buy a tug and i cant close my 3 yet about 1/4 to go till close is the no 7 tug as hard as a no 3 or should i get a no 5 or 6 any input :whistel

I do mine after gripper work, but I can ALMOST get the 6 with pinky/ring, and I can get it pretty easy with index/middle. I can close grippers around halfway between a 3 and 4.

I do mine after gripper work, but I can ALMOST get the 6 with pinky/ring, and I can get it pretty easy with index/middle. I can close grippers around halfway between a 3 and 4.

so bob do you think i should get a no 6 tug

If you are working on the 3 still, maybe try a 5. That is my best guess! Maybe a 6 if you really are interested in the stronger fingers.

I bought a #5 TUG, intending to use it mainly for the index and middle fingers. My goal is to strengthen these fingers for DO bending. It turns out the 5 is a bit on the light side, but still a useful tool - I have done 42 reps right hand and 35 reps left hand with it, index and middle. I can close it inverted with ring and pinky for a few reps left hand, none right hand (a bit weaker in this area with my right).

For my purposes I want a TUG that I can do between 5 and 10 reps with, index and middle fingers, this is probably the #6. With grippers, I am a #2 closer.

Has anyone tried making their Tugs a bit tougher by adding a hose clamp around the spring like some do to grippers, and tightening it? Maybe turn a #4 to a #5, etc... I'd be more prone to buy one if I could buy a 4 or 5 and turn it into a 6 or 7. Save some monies.

Has anyone tried making their Tugs a bit tougher by adding a hose clamp around the spring like some do to grippers, and tightening it? Maybe turn a #4 to a #5, etc... I'd be more prone to buy one if I could buy a 4 or 5 and turn it into a 6 or 7. Save some monies.

Looking at the spring on my TUG #5, I'd say I'm hesitant to put a hose clamp on it (2 hose clamps actually, plus a spring to add resistance).

I used a hose clamp to choke down my RB 210 brass handled gripper and it ended up biting into the spring. I took it off after that and concluded that hose clamps aren't worth the damage to the gripper spring. Maybe others have a better way of attaching the hose clamps, I'm not sure, just my 2 cents.

I like the TUGs enough that I'll be saving up for a #6 or #7, and the #5 is great for high-rep work, or ring and pinky (low rep) training.

Nah I meant like actually thru the middle of the spring and around like to tighten the coil closer into itself, to make more resistance. Hope I explained it there