Double Overhand Bending Race With...

EricMilfeld

Thanks for the info Eric, theres a Tandy Leather in CT right near the girlfriends college so I'll be stopping up there shortly for a new set of pads.

Edited by Dude

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• EricMilfeld

• burner

• Dude

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, today's workout: failed at this, tried that, almost did this, and came real close with one of those. :dry Oh well, I'm more fired up than ever as a result and know that when I'm finally successful with a sub two minute Edgin it will be all the sweeter. Here's the gory details:

- warmed up with two 3/8 x 7" threaded rods and a 5/16 x 7" FBBC

-failed with a certification attempt at an Edgin (only made it to 60 degrees at the 90 second mark)

- failed with 5/16 x 6" FBBC hex (got it a little past 90 degrees)

- had the same fate as above with a 6 1/4" length

- finally managed a 6 1/2" length

:mosher:laugh

Eric-

Nice workout! If you are trying to fight a bar, regardless of time, do you keep repeatingly explode into the bar or will you wait a few seconds then try again? Just trying to get an idea of what to do in the terms of persistence, if you know what I mean (how long you will fight the bar?). Is this what we would call isometrics in bar bending? thanks

I got those spikes out in the mail today, I can't wait to see what you think of them???

Mike, I'll try and bend the bar as quickly as possible until it fails to move, and then at this point I have no choice but to set it down and rest for a minute or two and then go at it again. With most bends I get stuck at just past ninety, except for the Edgin, where I can get stuck at any point. Sometimes a little rest will enbable me to finish off the bar, but at other times the rest will only serve to allow the bar a little time to seize up. It's all good, though. I still get a good workout in in, no matter what. But if after 15 minutes or so of resting for a minute or two and then going at it again I've failed to finish the bend, I'll usually admit defeat, temporarily.

And thanks again for letting me try those crazy spikes!

Great workout Eric.

Can't wait to try those hex bars on my own when back to bending.

Got two of them from David Horne.

What a 7" hex does compare to?

More a 6.5" or a 6" 5/16" round?

Deaner - Have you heard back from IM about when your certing yet? I saw you said you were waiting until your cert in another thread to bend heavy.

Eric - Have you done any yield strength tests with the 5/16 HRS rods from home depot? I only have like 2 reds left and I think I'm gonna order some FBBC soon but I'm gonna be looking for a cheap steel source. I know they're easier than the red but wondering how close. The only steel source I found sells 12' rods of 5/16 CRS for like $4 a pop, however the catch is they only do $100 minimum, lol.

Great workout Eric.

Can't wait to try those hex bars on my own when back to bending.

Got two of them from David Horne.

What a 7" hex does compare to?

More a 6.5" or a 6" 5/16" round?

Thank you, Franky!

I'd say at 7" they feel like a 6.25 to 6.5" 5/16" round. And as an added bonus, they're a bit more painful!

I'll be calling Ironmind today to try and find a judge and get the ball rolling. I'll be checking on getting a judge for 2 of us..

Deaner - Have you heard back from IM about when your certing yet? I saw you said you were waiting until your cert in another thread to bend heavy.

Eric - Have you done any yield strength tests with the 5/16 HRS rods from home depot? I only have like 2 reds left and I think I'm gonna order some FBBC soon but I'm gonna be looking for a cheap steel source. I know they're easier than the red but wondering how close. The only steel source I found sells 12' rods of 5/16 CRS for like $4 a pop, however the catch is they only do $100 minimum, lol.

No, I haven't calibrated that particular stock. I do have a short piece left out in the garage if you'd like me to check it out. I do know it's a bit easier than a Red, though. Have you checked around for a Metal Supermarket in your area? They have 5/16" CRS that's just slightly tougher than a Red. I buy lots of this stuff!

No, I haven't calibrated that particular stock.  I do have a short piece left out in the garage if you'd like me to check it out.  I do know it's a bit easier than a Red, though.  Have you checked around for a Metal Supermarket in your area?  They have 5/16" CRS that's just slightly tougher than a Red.  I buy lots of this stuff!

Thanks Eric, now that I found this I wont need to go with the Home Depot stuff. The only one they have in CT is on my way home about an hour away, so I got lucky, I'll be stopping by for sure soon. You said its harder than the red, the stuff from MS, but would you put it somewhat close to the FBBC stock?

Edited by Dude

11-22-05

No nails bent today, very happy with the self control. Ended up stopping by the dollar store and found decks of cards @ 2 for a buck so I bought 8 decks to give card tearing a try again. I was surprised at how much I felt it in the wrists after I was done. Even though they were easy cards they still gave me a bit of a workout. Ended up doing close to 300.

Thumbs are a litle raw so I called it a day. Overall pretty good.

It has been eight days and I am definitley feeling the itch.

-Sean

No, I haven't calibrated that particular stock.  I do have a short piece left out in the garage if you'd like me to check it out.  I do know it's a bit easier than a Red, though.  Have you checked around for a Metal Supermarket in your area?  They have 5/16" CRS that's just slightly tougher than a Red.  I buy lots of this stuff!

Thanks Eric, now that I found this I wont need to go with the Home Depot stuff. The only one they have in CT is on my way home about an hour away, so I got lucky, I'll be stopping by for sure soon. You said its harder than the red, the stuff from MS, but would you put it somewhat close to the FBBC stock?

Dude, I can feel no difference between the MS stuff and the Bastard stock.

Excellent, I'm def stopping by on my way thru tommorrow to pick some up.

Edit: What length/ width are u guys using for your leather pads, just wondering.

Edited by Dude

Sean- Smart man

Ron- whatever length the tandy leather factory gives. I would try to get it at least as long as the IM pads; you can always cut them down. Nice work with the cards, two for a dollar is awesome.

Edited by carusom1

Went to the Metal Supermarket today like Eric said. That will definately be my source until I get close to the FBBC stuff.

Picked up 36' of 5/16" CRS, 6' of 1/4" CRS, and 6' of 1/4" hex CRS for $28.00. I'm happier than a lark :)

Dunno where the 1/4" stuff stands in toughness but I've never bent any hex so I figured I'd grab some to try out. Just gotta find a way to cut it all up into various lengths.

Dude, I'm glad it worked out for you! :) With regards to the leather wraps, 4" is a good width, but don't think in terms of length, but rather, in terms of diameter when rolled up over your nail. I prefer a 1.25" diameter wrap.

Tonight's workout - 11-24-05

I received some 7" spikes from Mike today, and couldn't wait to get home from work to try them out. They are the Midwest Manufacturing brand, and are 5/16" thick.

- bent three, back to back

-bent one at 6"

-bent another at 5.5" (felt well within my capabilities, which was nice for a change :laugh)

-half assed attempt at finishing off an Edgin, but some pec pain from my workout two days ago flared up)

The spikes start like a Red, but finish up a bit easier.

Oh, guys, I found some Edgins at the hardware store in an 8" variety!!! I can't wait to buy some and start cutting them down. I'm hoping at 7.5" they will be something I can kill for a little volume, as a training aid for the 7" length conquest. I just hope at that length they're not too much stess on my pecs. We'll see.

Eric-

Thats great! That is just what I wanted to hear. Those suckers are sharp. You know, when I cut them, it felt soft and I couldn't understand why I was missing on them. Now they are mine!! I think you are right, I have been working too much with shorter stuff and I need to do more 7".

Ron- That is a lot of steel. You need bolt cutters or a machine shop.

Back at it!

Well the itch finally hit me and well it was not the huge PR fest I was hoping for, in fact I felt like a weak ass little girl who should have been left to rot in the garage until I finished what I started today. So without anymore bitching and complaining here is what my feeble ass did:

(1) 60d nail

(3) G5 at 6"

(5) G8 at 6"

(1) 6.5"X5/16" S.W. HRS

(1) 6.5" IM Red Nail taken to .5 inch from the regulation bend PR I guess even if it was never finished

(1) 7" IM Red legal bend

Then I tried a IM Red with my new IM pads and failed again. I can just never get the feel with these f*&$ing things! I am just pissed and I am weak as hell right now. Since wrestling started a month ago I have hardly touched the weights and my shoulders have taken a few hits wrestling, but blah, blah, blah I am a bitch, wha, wha, wha :cry look at the little girl who can't bend like she used to. Jason, if you are reading this, come over and kick my little bitch ass in the flipping teeth for crying so much.

-Sean

Sounds like you did pretty good to me. I don't see all that much difference in the leather versus the IM pads, other than comfort. I started out with them and am used to them and mine are very broken in, kinda soft. Get em soft and use lots of chalk. And quit beating up on them kids, it's wearing on you. You've got the strength to kill reds with the IM pads, you just gotta get used to them. Maybe try saying nice things to them, not profanities.

I prefer a 1.25" diameter wrap.

I just wrapped a red with my old pair of leather wraps to measure, came out 3/4" at the most. That might explain why the IM pads feel better than the leather on the hands.

I prefer a 1.25" diameter wrap.

I just wrapped a red with my old pair of leather wraps to measure, came out 3/4" at the most. That might explain why the IM pads feel better than the leather on the hands.

It sure would! It's been a while since I've subjected myself to the IM pads, but don't they measure atleast an inch thick when folded in thirds and wrapped up around a Red? I bend some near max stuff every once in a while with pads that are 1" thick, and boy does it cause a hurtin'! You've got tough hands, Ron!

11/26

Bends: 1 7" IM red w/ IM pads well under a minute, well under 2"

2x60d kinked, finished seperately

Fattie timber tie 6" x 5/16" x 5 w/leather (red-ish)

Neckwork 3x5 bridge/ 3x10 front raise w/25#er

Sides 3x10 w/hand as resistance

Good stuff, Deaner!

11-26-05

- warmed up with a Bastard bar equivalent cut to 8"

- took down on my first try ever, a 7.5" Edgin, which felt resonably easy

- took an off center, prekinked Edgin to ninety

- struggled, but bent an 8" Edgin - wow what a forearm workout!