Bending 6.5" red x1 PR!!

Wow that was a tough sob to finish off

7" 5/16 HRS x1

6.5" 5/16" HRS x2

Those are close to 7" reds

6" 5/16" HRS

only got that one just past 90

6" x 1/4"grade 5 x 1

The massive blister developing on my right palm has decided to speak, and he says "stop bending now" and I obey

Eventually got the 6" HRS 2.25" spread

Nice work Jason. Glad to see you are in.

Ron, I am excited for you man, you have got to be getting jumpy! Nail them both! (pun intended)

Mike,

You better get after it man I am about to hit some volume with some G8s and then on to the bigger and harder!

Eric,

Cut the head off the Edgin just for a difference in feel, and do not even think it will be harder because it is shorter, only think about how your hand will like the evenness of the metal in your hands! And bend that mother down.

-Sean

Only bent a 7" 1/4 Square tonight, just to satisfy my metallic needs. We had a marathon bench session today that last for three hours; after that we did the rest of our workout. This didn't leave much time or patience for bending.

Interesting thing about the square bend, first time that it ever bent it square. Usually it bends on an edge (diamond shape).

deaner- nice work! looking strong, here we go

Edited by carusom1

Deaner, glad you could join us! And nice work with that shorty Red!

Mike, no, I really don't seem to be picking up much speed. I am still doing a moderate amount of leveraging to the nose. As for the 5/16" square, based on my calibration of it I'd say the thing is as close to impossible as it's possible to get. :blink The Edgin is in the low 500 pound range, the big square is in the low 700 pound range! Factor in the added pain of the sharp edges and, well, you get the point. Okay, so when I post my workout for this Tuesday I promise it will be something wacky and different.

Sean, cut I will.

Deaner, glad you could join us!  And nice work with that shorty Red!

Mike, no, I really don't seem to be picking up much speed.  I am still doing a moderate amount of leveraging to the nose.  As for the 5/16" square, based on my calibration of it I'd say the thing is as close to impossible as it's possible to get. :blink The Edgin is in the low 500 pound range, the big square is in the low 700 pound range!  Factor in the added pain of the sharp edges and, well, you get the point.  Okay, so when I post my workout for this Tuesday I promise it will be something wacky and different.

Sean, cut I will.

love watching you guys Eric that 5/16" square sounds tough, as anyone bent that before?

BigT, I seriously doubt the FBBC 5/16" square has ever been wobbled by a mere mortal human being. And if I'm wrong, well, HOLY COW!

11-14-05

I couldn't wait till Tuesday. Big surprise. So after a little v-bar, and in the middle of some wide grip pinching, here's my wacky routine, as recommended by Mike:

- I warmed up with a 3/8 x 8" threaded rod. I think that by doing some bends with a less than comfortable long length will help to prevent a chest or shoulder injury with a max effort at 7".

- I then took five 5/16 x 7" hex bars to just past ninety degrees (the point where I switch over to the chest crush). I took my time and rested between bends.

- Then I went back and finished off these five bars to 2", back to back, with no rest. It felt surprisingly easy.

- And for good measure I then immediately grabbed each bar one by one and crushed them down further by grasping them like a gripper.

- At this point I failed with an attempt at a new PR with a 6" version of the same. I got it to just past ninety.

- Feeling the need for redemption, I went for a 5.5" Red. I suffered the same fate as above, though. I'll just tell myself I was too tired at this point. :tongue

I will try and not touch steel for another six days. The way my hands are feeling now, I just may be able to resist temptation.

11-14-05

(1) 60d nail warm up after some push ups

(1) G5X6"

(1) G8X6"

(1) IM Red 7"

(2) G8 5.5"ers

(6) G5 6"

(1) G8 5.5"er

Then I had the wrestling team pulling some weight like in the Diesel Crew "Pulling the String" video and I jumped in when we had the sled at 427lbs and was finished after that.

I am thinking of buying another box of G5's that seemed to help a lot for me. Perhaps half a box of G8 at 6".

-Sean

Sean-

nice workout!

Eric-

Wow! I thought that this actually might be callenge for you but you are too strong for your own good. Do you think that anyone could crush a 5/16 Square pre-bent from 90? I hope you had some fun mixing it up a bit. Do you have any 5/16 grade 8?

Solid workokut, Sean!

Mike, I really don't know if there's someone capable of doing that now. But I'm confident we'll one day see it.

If for no other reason, I think I'll buy a few big grade 8s for calibration. I hope I have enough weight.

And yes, I had a blast today! Thanks, man!

11-14

Been bending reds throughout the day. Did 2 earlier with 2 60ds as warmup. Got back from the gym tonight, read our thread, and bent two more.

Then I cut a fresh 6" red and figured I'd give it a try. First 2 attempts it didnt really move. But then I bent my torso a bit and the thing moved easy as hell......until I hit 90 degrees....BAM....no more, lol.

I've never been stuck at the 90 degree mark so I gotta say its akward as heck. Its bent to the point where I cant really get good leverage to keep going, not enough to where I can interlock my fingers and crush, and to hard for me to one hand hold other hand open crush it. Gonna need a few tips from Eric seeing as he's fought a couple hard 90s lately.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3427

Ron, man, you've been tearing up those Reds lately! That six incher is gonna fall any day now. You'll need to get a few more degrees of bend on that short Red, using the double overhand grip, as you've discovered. I can almost coast on most bends after the initial kink is made, up until the ninety degree mark, and then it gets tough again. So grasp it like you're trying to crush an impossible gripper (super tight), with your first two fingers down on the ends of the nail. Make sure your knuckles are aligned with eachother, like you're about to punch your fists together. Lock your wrists tight, with minimal bend in them. Get real tight all through your hands, arms, and entire upper body before attempting any movement with the nail. Now power into it! With just a little more movement you should be able to interlock your fingers just enough to start crushing down on it. I hope this helps. You probably know most, if not all, of what I just recommended, but perhaps just running through all these key points in your mind, just before you bend, could make the difference.

Thanks for the pointers Eric. I shouldve kept going balls out when the nail was hot because I think this is gonna be hard as heck to move, but perfect for learning.

11-16-05

(2) TT, broke 1

(2) grade 8 5.5", 1 to 90

(3) 5/16 CRS 7", 6.5", 6" to 90

(1) 1/4 Square 7"

(5) 1/4 Square 5.5"

kink 5/16 FBBC 7" and RED

Top of my left forearm was hurtin pretty good tonight, :cry Sally. Got stuck at 90 twice and hand placement felt very uncomfortable with shorter pieces. I might go back to bending once a week. I don't know if I can keep up with you guys; my wrists get abused :flame

I don't know if I can keep up with you guys; my wrists get abused :flame

Are you throwing in contrast baths everyday along with 800mg IBprofuen at intervals? I find a contrast bath or two and the motrin I'm in good shape the next day. I've just never been religious with doing them but lately them see to make a days worth of difference in healing. Nice bending today

Nice work Mike. I would take Ron's advice and heal up some. My days of bending three a week are over. When I started to realize that my hard bending was taking a hit I thought I should go back to some solid G5 and G8 volume Once a week and heavy stock the following week.

Overall I think we are all doing a great job at pushing each other. :D

-Sean

Mike, strengthwise you are at Red level. Maybe some volume with seven inch lengths of whatever you can bend will put you over the top. It's probably mostly mental at this stage of the game, as well. Keep up the great work!

Got a 6.5" red down to past 90 with IM pads today, got it to 2.5" with the leather. That was enough for me, 7"er would have been cake. The crushdown with the 6.5" is WAY harder to finish than the 7"er. Also pr'd on the neck support with a bodyweight lift of 237. Was a short term goal made easy by losing a pile of weight.

Posted that then rewrapped the 6.5" red and finished it. I thought the time limit on the red was 2 minutes, saw a post today said 1 minute? I don't wanna rush through it, I want to savor it.

Nice work, Deaner! Puttin' stuff down after a "failure", and then coming back later just a little more perturbed and succeeding has been the bread and butter of my training.

Yep, Iron Mind asks for a minute, the Gripboard two.

Just counted my time on my video on here and it was around 45 sec. and it was a slow bend so I should be ok there, gotta get explosive at the start, I just push harder til the thing starts to bend, and I need to go BOOM instead. Anyone want to give me an idea of how long it takes to get it all set up with Ironmind?

It depends on how quickly Dr. Strossen can locate a witness for you. Provided he can locate a convenient witness quickly, you could be certed within a week, as was the case with me. But I have heard of it taking atleast several weeks for others less fortunate. That would suck having to wait! I'm impatient.

11-21-05

(3) TT broke 2

(5) 1/4 Square 7", 5.5" (4)

(3) Grade 5 5.5"

First, Congrats to Ron! You toke those three REDS down no problem. Wasn't going to bend today because of my hands but after reading Ron's post, I got fired up and did this session in about 35 minutes. Time to go to bed! Left hand is hurtin. Have bruises on my ring finger second pad.??? Have been icing down my hands more (as opposed to never). I need to stay disciplined and wait until next weekend to bend. See if my hands heal up so I can go after some bigger bars like the rest of you. Can't wait to see the workouts this week; keep em coming.

Edited by carusom1

Just counted my time on my video on here and it was around 45 sec. and it was a slow bend so I should be ok there, gotta get explosive at the start, I just push harder til the thing starts to bend, and I need to go BOOM instead. Anyone want to give me an idea of how long it takes to get it all set up with Ironmind?

Thanks Mike!

Yea Deaner it took me about a week to hear back from IM too. And then maybe a week on top of that to set up an appt with the judge. Hardest part is waiting to cert because I couldnt stop bending during the wait, messed up my hands a little bit caused I kept getting nervous whether I could do it or not and bending everyday, lol.

Deaner I'm the same way with bending. I bend very slow when I try to go with constant pressure through the bend. Instead I think short bursts right after it starts to move help me bend faster.

If everything turns out to be legal and my cert goes through with the red I'll probably hang the IM pads up for a bit andd go with leather. What are you guys using for wraps and where'd you get them? I have a really crappy thin pair of leather pads I used a bit before I got the IM pads but I def need to buy another thing of leather to use.

Mike, another great looking workout!

Ron, I checked and discovered there's a Tandy Leather store in Syracuse as well as Connecticut. They have a great selection, but it may be best to visit the stores personally, as I'm not sure you will have the same selection and access to special deals that you would get in the store. A three to five ounce suede leather works very well. I don't get the exact same piece of leather each time I visit the store, but just choose something that looks good from their selection. I usually pay a dollar - something per square foot.