Left Hand A Lot Weaker Than Right

Mitch Kirchner

I can close a #2 with my right. But my left is so much weaker. I can get the #2 a little past paralell left handed. When I train I train both my hand evenly. Like when doing negetives I make sure I do the same amount of time with both hands. I do the same nuber of reps both hands to. Sometimes I have to hold back on doing more reps with my right cause I know I won't be able to do it with my right. I do notice though when using pony clamps my left thumb is stronger than my right. Is this weird I'm right handed but my left thumb is stronger? I want to close the #2 so bad with my left. It seems to take much longer to build up my crushing strength with my left than my my right. Do u guys have this problems with your un dominant hand being much weaker? The day I got my CoC's in the mail I ripped them out of the package and closed the #1 with my right. I tried it with my left and got the handles about 1/4 inch apart. It took me 2 weeks to close the #1 with my left. Please give me your advice guys to get my left hand stronger its lacking behind from my right hand.

Thanks

My left hand in considerably weaker, but only in the gripper department. Pinch is easily equal, and holding grip is actually better with my left. Right is very dominant on the grippers however.

i just recently started closing the #2 consistently with my left hand and my right almost has the #3. my right is better at pinch also but the imbalance is not as big as it is with crush. however around the time when i first started closing the #2 lefty my strength gains started appearing more and more and i find my left now improving at a better rate. maybe you will be the same way. also i not too long ago perfected my set with my left hand. you may already know but i find the technique in the set with your left hand much different than with your right because of the way the spring on the gripper is wound.

• 1 year later...

I´m kind of new to this griptraining. But my right hand is much stronger! I can close the CoC #2.5 with my right hand. But I can not close the RB160 with my left. Holds with grippers is stronger with right too. But I think I´m almost equal in dead lift with the grip. The weird part is that I am a bit stronger in the left hand with the handles pointing up. Then I close the RB130 with both right and left. Comments?

Straight wound seem to suit righthanders more. Those "Bone crushers" seem to be negative or reverse wound! Might help the southpaws.

If I've got a discrepancy I just train the weaker first and ONLY match it with the other.

My left /right is pretty even but maybe my right would be a lot stronger if I didn't keep them the same? :tongue

Both my hands are equal in pinch grip and holding things, but my right hand is MUCH better in crushing strenght....this doesnt help, but Im in the same boat as you...I think as long as you can crush people's hands with the hand you shake hands with, you're alright.

Does your imbalance also appear when testing on a Supergripper or somthing similar? My experience has been that while my left hand lags on the COC grippers, it is actually very close to my right hand in overall strength. There is just something about the grippers that makes them harder for me lefty.

I have never tried a supergripper. Like I said I´m new to the grip thing. I have been strenght-training for 6 months spread over 1.5 year. Had some problems with my shoulder, but I´m hoping for it to work properly again so I can train.

My first gripper was the RB160, didn´t really use it though because I didn´t think it was fun. So there´s been perhaps 20 sessions or so at the most over these 1.5 years. I think I got most of my gripstrenght from rows and such in the gym. And I felt the RB160 was going to weak for my right hand (couldn´t close it with my left, still can´t) so I ordered the CoC #2 and #2.5. Very disapointed when I close them both brand new and not warmed up. So I sold the nr #2 since it was so close to my RB 160 and ordered CoC #3 and #3.5.. Haha, the #3 is way to hard to even think about training on. For some reason I didn´t continue training, just had some fun for with the 2.5 for a couple of days. Anyway, since I stoped strenghttraining my grip didn´t get better, but worse. Now I´m rehabtraining my shoulder and have started gripping. I really think it is fun and I hope to be able to keep it up. I´m going for the coc#3 this autumn. Try to train seriously. I really don´t know how fast you can build up handstrenght so maby it´s impossible, I barely close the 2.5 when my hands are rested. But at least before christmas! :) The goal for my left is CoC #2 (don´t have that one though). I just bought the RB130, best thing I´ve ever done. Now I can warm up and it doesn´t feel hard and boring to pick up the grippers.

Ok, so back on topic. Does it really matter if my crushing is so much better with the right? perhaps it´s just technique?

And is it important to do other grip/hand excercise as well? `when I start strenghttraining again I will do such things, but now I´m only gripping. Can you get injurys or such when developing to great crushing strenght comparing to the other strenght? Thx a lot you people that take the time and read and answer! :) (I´m from sweden btw, any one feel like adding me on msn, talk some grip and stuff feel free to PM me. I could use some guidening)

• 5 months later...

LMAO, this is an old thread of mine I saw it was bumped to the top. From what I have learned from my own is my left hand isn't that much stronger than my right, it's just more cordinated. Cordination I think has to do a lot with grippers.