Strength Transfer

Ryan Espey

I am curious... There are a lot of guys that post in here that are doing a lot of obscure things for grip strength. What I want to know is, which ones do you think transfer the best to the armwrestling table.

IMO Grippers are not that great for armwrestling, being very inferior to the finger blaster. Crushing grip I just don't find all that important on the table.

On the other hand I do find doing wrist curls, holds, etc. with a very thick handled bar to be one of the best things to improve grip for armwrestling, where the supporting grip is much more important in my opinion. I am also a fan of pinch grip for building thickness to the hand.

Edited by Ryan Espey

what is the finger blaster? Do you have a pic? I haven't pulled forever but plate wrist curls and picking a sledge hammer up off of a table with a hammer curl type motion(head ends up pointed toward ceiling) are my two favorite grip exercises for AW. I was messing around with my TTK the other night and found that if I put my palm on top, fingers on bottom (I'm facing away from the machine) it really works the cupping motion.

I am curious... There are a lot of guys that post in here that are doing a lot of obscure things for grip strength. What I want to know is, which ones do you think transfer the best to the armwrestling table.

IMO Grippers are not that great for armwrestling, being very inferior to the finger blaster. Crushing grip I just don't find all that important on the table.

On the other hand I do find doing wrist curls, holds, etc. with a very thick handled bar to be one of the best things to improve grip for armwrestling, where the supporting grip is much more important in my opinion. I am also a fan of pinch grip for building thickness to the hand.

Wouldn't a good crush grip be important to squeeze your opponents hand, therefore being able to better control your opponent?

Levering exercises with a sledgehammer, The Formulator, tearing phone books the CORRECT way, and thick bar hammer curls, or hammer curls gripping the top of a sandbag would help you.

not really you're not shaking their hand... the way you grip and the direction that pressure is applied will have no direct carryover from crushing grip.

Thats not to say it wont make you're hands stronger, but you have to train your supporting grip or it wont matter how strong your hands are they'll still get ripped open.

Training like that isn't efficient.

not really  you're not shaking their hand...  the way you grip and the direction that pressure is applied will have no direct carryover from crushing grip. 

Thats not to say it wont make you're hands stronger, but you have to train your supporting grip or it wont matter how strong your hands are they'll still get ripped open.

Training like that isn't efficient.

True cause your hands get opened in a upward movement most of the time....which would be the same as holding a somewhat thick bar in your hand for negatives or time or w/e....

Im with Josh, I think plate wrist curls are better then regular wrist curls. A finger blaster is a plate loader grip machine. Great for open hand strength.

I may be alone on this but I think exercises that combine different aspects of pulling are superior to isolation movements although both will help. For example plate wrist curls hit your fingers and wrist at the same time, similar to a match and must work together. Same thing with rope pullups, rolling thunder pullups, thick bar work on wrist curls, hammer curls etc.

When your pulling your hand, wrist, arm etc have to work at the same time so this is how I try to train. This is not to say that isolation work doesnt help becuase it does, but I would focus on the other lifts first. Like I said Im probably completey wrong but that is half the fun, trying new things out. Sorry to ramble!

Austin

One thing I forgot to mention is that I stole my ideas from others. Kehler recomended partial rope pullups and they work awesome. Devein Larratt does pullups with to revolving handles which also works great. Hope this helps and great thread, Im looking forward to what others have to say on this. Feel free to tear apart my theory! lol

Austin

I tried something new tonight. Take a rolled up towel, which is not a new idea. I read a post about using towels for pullups curls etc. What I used it for was to simulate the top roll. i have this problem of really squeezing my opponents thumb, maybe because of my hand size. Anyway, I have been using a sledge hammer with the head downward to pull my wrist down like when you try to top roll and it goes the opposite way it should. My arm stays in the same locked position that it should during a match and i resist the downward pull of the hammer. I did the same thing with the towel tonight. I ran it through the center of some weights and held the doubled up end. What made this better though was that i could just use what ever fingers i wanted, so I practiced letting up and then gripping with my thumb and forefinger the other fingers were gripping tight the whole time. If felt good but whether it works or not we'll have to wait and see.

Oh yeah, those revolving thick handles are a killer. I get three reps but can hold in the up position for a little while but not to long.

Edited by GarytheDino

I'm not a big AW but from what I've read theres some good ideas thrown in here . I would especialy have to theink the wrist curls and sledge levering. But just an idea might be wrong but how about some DB table curls and DB flys don't you also get some chest involved.Maybe even some eagle loop pullupsr get some upper back and support gripjust ideas I'm guessing their are a bunch of things that would have some transfer.

I think the more Ideas I can come up with that basically copy armwestling positions and I am able to increase strength with them. The more I will be able to find out which ones work and which don't.....I don't do many Plate wrist curls or plate curls because I don't see my fingers being straight when I'm armwrestling.....I would see them in a more round or cuped shape.....which would be emulated with Rolling Thunder and thickbar training. Basically what I am saying is I think the best exercises would be the ones the put your strength to the test the way armwrestling would like hammer curls and lever lifts to the front andthick bar work and so on.......I dunno im rambling but I hope you get what I am trying to say at least a little bit......

The grip exercise I like the most for AW at the moment is thumbless revolving handle thick bar lifts. I think it simulates the hand positions used in AW quite well. Try it.