Thanks for the armwrestling tips David

Guest HAD

David, just wanted to thank you for those 2 tips you showed me after the comp. I think I'm getting the hang of them now, they are working a treat. I was in a bar the other day and won 7 in a row, managed to get myself some free drinks too.

Cheers

HAD.

I'd have to show you in person really, but what i found works best for me is taking a very strong grip on thier thumb (almost a hook grip) and bending thier wrist towards me (this way they can't put on as much pressure without hurting themselves), then lean back and power them down using strength in your shoulders and back.

Mark,

I showed him how to post and apply back pressure. Also how to Top Roll. By the way, I won the British Arm Wrestling champs 100k class on Sunday. Also Elizabeth won the 65k+ class and the overalls as well. She steamrolled everyone left handed.

David

Guest CanadaCrush

That's awesome David. I myself am heading to the Canadian Nationals this weekend, so I may (if i'm lucky) see you in Poland. More than likely you'll face Devon Larratt and Mark Zelapa. I too am -100kg.

-Mark

Mark,

I'm going to leave my decision about Poland to nearer the time. But I think I'm going to leave it till next year. I did very little table training this year, and was very pleased with how much strength I had at the table. So a years training could see Elizabeth and I perform better at the Europeans in Germany, or the Worlds in the U.S.

By the way, one of the competitors in the Strong woman contest that Elizabeth was in recently was Josee Morneau, the canadian armwrestler. She did very well and came 3rd.

Good luck at the weekend, David

Guest CanadaCrush

David, Luke and I were wondering a while back how someone like you or Richard Sorin would do in the armwrestling world due to the massive handstrength you possess. Well know we know. You're lowhand grips must be next to impossible to defeat with a top.

-Mark

Guest Luke Reimer

Congratulations, David, for your first at the British Armwrestling championships! How long have you been competing? or seriously training? After following your grip achievements I can't even begin to imagine myself attacking your hand or fingers. You must be the closest thing to totally immune to the ever popular Top Roll. Wow!

Luke and Mark,

I'm still a novice at this sport, and probably will be for quite a while. It's a great sport with some superb athletes in it, and yes the strength that Elizabeth and I possess has helped greatly.

You're also right that most do not enjoy feeling my hand strength, but more importantly I think that it is my wrist strength that causes them a problem. My wrist has never been taken.

Elizabeth and I went up to Neil Pickup's just over 2 years ago to learn some techniques, and since then we have competed in 5 competitions (3 British champs). I got 4th place on my first attempt, 2nd last year, and now 1st.

As far as training has gone this year, I've hardly put any training in on the table prefering to get stronger with certain exercises. This really helped as I felt very strong on Sunday. But if I want to make the big step up to European/World level I realise I will have to put some table work in. But I can't get stronger if I have a sore arm through table work, so it's a fine line that I have to get right.

David