Over The Top

Ray Hansford

Hi all

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but just got my OTT dvd and after watching it (while grip training) One thing I've always wondered----Is that final move that Sly uses to beat Big Rick (Which we all know would never happen, even if he used 2 hands Rick would still have :flame him) actually a legal move in armwrestling?

not really sure But Over The Top is one of the GREAT AMERICA MOVIES OF ALL TIME!! :yikes:yikes:yikes It is Quite possibly Stallone's Greatest performance! Forget Rocky :yikes

Edited by nickr104

not really sure But Over The Top is one of the GREAT AMERICA MOVIES OF ALL TIME!! :yikes  :yikes  :yikes  It is Quite possibly Stallone's Greatest performance! Forget Rocky :yikes

ABSOLUTELY :rock:rock:rock

not really sure But Over The Top is one of the GREAT AMERICA MOVIES OF ALL TIME!! :yikes  :yikes  :yikes  It is Quite possibly Stallone's Greatest performance! Forget Rocky :yikes

Absolutely! I was THRILLED when my wife found the DVD for me. Rick Zumwalt shoud have won the Oscar for best actor that year. His performance against Stallone in the final match was finest piece of acting I've ever seen. I think Zumwalt aka Bull Hurley, also challenges Ah-nuld for most one-liners in a movie

I mean who else would think to couple a child custody battle and armwrestling in the same move. Stallone is a genius! :yikes

I mean who else would think to couple a child custody battle and armwrestling  in the same move. Stallone is a genius! :yikes

that's too funny. lol. :laugh

I mean who else would think to couple a child custody battle and armwrestling  in the same move. Stallone is a genius! :yikes

and his wardrobe....what about that wardrobe. If you're man enough to wear grey slacks, a sleeveless New York shirt, and suspenders, I think AW just comes naturally after that. :upsidedwn

Hi all

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but just got my OTT dvd and after watching it (while grip training) One thing I've always wondered----Is that final move that Sly uses to beat Big Rick (Which we all know would never happen, even if he used 2 hands Rick would still have  :flame  him) actually a legal move in armwrestling?

You mean the actual over the top move?

Because that really isnt a "move" as I see it, just the normal set-up position, isn't it? Just so long as you can see the thumb knuckle. Right?

Hmm.

it's totally legal.... the matches in the movie are played out for effect... most of them would have been over much more quickly... as no one really hits...

and what stallone does is called finger walking.... although normally you dont lift your fingers up like that, you just slide them... and do it much more quickly. Doing it as slowly as he does would have cost him the match...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It was a poorly executed toproll that would have been very difficult to perform given the wrist orientation before he begins the 'move'. You need some massive pronation strength with that must wrist flexion and a hand the size of Rick's. But then again...it's a movie. Rick died, unfortunately, of a heart attack a year or two ago.