Off to Poland

David Horne

Luke and Mark,

How have you done in the Canadian arm wrestling champs? Elizabeth and I have decided to go to Poland for the Worlds. We might as well get the hiding over and done with now, and learn from the experience. Plus I've always wanted to compete in those eastern bloc countries. I've also been lucky enough today to get sponsorship for the whole trip, which helps a lot. Now down to some serious training.

David

Guest Luke Reimer

Nice work getting the sponsorship, David!  Canadian Nationals is happening this weekend, and I expect Mark is already making his way to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan to compete. I'm going to be away from nationals this time, so Poland is also out, and unfortunately I won't have the pleasure of meeting you there. I'm sure Mark will let us know his results as soon as he's back home. Mark is only a couple years into the sport too, so statistically, making top 3 will be a long shot for him. On the other hand, if there is any Canadian that stands a chance of doing so well with so little experience, then Mark is it. He's got a great work ethic, and has been training his heart out and producing impressive upsets at Provincial events.

With respect to world class events, David, I'm glad you're not waiting until you're the best you can be before going! I guess you've already figured out that you'll progress faster with this approach and enjoy yourself more along the way. (Besides, you're already amazing even without being anywhere near your peak potential at this sport. I don't think I'm aware of any other armwrestlers that have earned a national title in their second year, even making the most of table practices. To do this on your fifth event and with hardly any practice in between is fantastic.)

You're right to expect the eastern block countries to put on a good show; Russia in particular dominated last year. Watch out for Ibragim Ibragimov of Russia, who might be doing the 100 kilogram class again this year. Last year he won his class easily and then after the competition worsted anyone who would try him. Ibragim looks very comfortable pulling inside, and he pulled pretty much all his matches this way with no signs of tiring.

David, you mentioned the delicate balance required to train armwrestling while maintaining other grip workouts, and I totally relate to what you're saying. For a number of years the only grip workouts I did besides armwrestling was gripper training (with IronMind products), and I had that balance where I could keep improving at both endeavours. Last spring after discovering this forum and learning other grip exercises, I started adding more and more (thick bar work, plate curls, plate pinches...) Initially each addition seemed to help my overall progress rather than hinder it, but not any more. After a recent armwrestling tournament (July 7) and after undergoing a normal recovery period from it (a week or so off),  I seem to have sustained some disappointing (major) regressions in practically all my grip workouts.  I'm beginning to wonder if somewhere along the way I took on too many routines. I'm thinking about writing a separate post on this with some more details, in case anyone has any training insights. That failing I suppose I could always call Sybersnotts helpline and see if he can prevent me from jumping off a bridge (I hope you're good Snott! <grin>).  Anyway, David, the best of luck preparing for Poland, and keeping that balance in training. Do keep us updated!

Wish me luck in New York in 30 days! I'll be competing in the GNC pro armwrestling championships. Check it out at Cheers'>http://www.gncproperformance.com/press_p....Cheers,

Luke

Luke,

Firstly good luck in the GNC comp, the prize money should be an incentive. Thanks for the support, I'm really looking forward to Poland now. I hope I am drawn against some of the best straight away, as I want to feel there power while I'm fresh. Although, I'm sure all of the competitors will be incredibly tough.

David

Guest CanadaCrush

David,

I've only been pulling for a little under a year and a half, as Luke said. I went in with high expectations for myself, and fortunately, I didn't do too poorly. I took a second in the right hand to Devon Larratt (3rd Canadian Championship in a row) and an injury plagued 5th in the left arm. I may go to Poland, if some form or money comes in, but right now it's not looking hopeful. Good luck to you and Elizabeth though

-Mark

Mark,

Congratulations on your second spot! If you get the cash then come over, it'll be great to chat to you, and like me it's all a learnihg curve. Plus the vodka is dirt cheap!

David

Scott,

It runs from the 2-8th Dec. But the first few days are meetings for referees and officials I think.

David