How High Is An "official Lift" Of The Inch

pdoire

Is it the old standard to lift and place it on a 2" phonebook? I know some comps want them DL'd.

But what is the minimum you would have to lift it to claim the lift?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• kimwood

• pdoire

• mobsterone

I am in agreement with the rules of this board.

1. Must fully deadlift the Inch to a standing position

2. The bell must remain horizontal without significant tilt.

3. Only chalk is allowed.

4. Must provide a picture, video, or a credible GripBoard member must witness the feat.

Now, I feel like an idiot, didn't even think to see if we had a standard here....My bad!!!

Thanks George. I guess full deadlifts are the only recognized lifts today.

Yeah full deadlifts really are the standard. Take a look at the V-bar: you can probably get an extra 20lbs. if you just break it of the ground and drop it as it whirls out of your hand.

Now, I feel like an idiot

Paul... what ARE we gonna do with you?? :rolleyes:laugh

I tell you what , you lift off the ground even an inch, and you have my respect.

A beginning (floor), a midpoint (lockout) and and end (floor).

I am not the gripboard administrator or claim to be but this to me is common knowledge. Lifting the challenge dumbbell is an eye opener to the reality of the possible complete lift in the future. Lifting it to full lockout is the feat of strength in my opinion.

I tell you what , you lift off the ground even an inch, and you have my respect.

So..if you lift the inch and inch your a inch lifter? :D

yes, if you lift the Inch an inch, you've lifted an Inch an inch, but you haven't lifted an Inch.

So, if you lift the inch an inch, you have in fact lifted an Inch an inch and are inching towards lifting the Inch..inch by inch?

I agree. I can do either and here's why I agree. 1) many times those who make the rules haven't done a thing with the Inch yet they become the powers that be...?? 2) If you can lift it an Inch and then do the same but hold it for time... then you'll eventually do a full range dumbbell deadlift - it becomes just a simple matter of time and effort.

When I lifted it and the other bells both in training and showing off I did partials, plate loaded, part reps and full reps. The difference between me and someone who does it an inch is only time - nothing more.

I agree. I can do either and here's why I agree. 1) many times those who make the rules haven't done a thing with the Inch yet they become the powers that be...?? 2) If you can lift it an Inch and then do the same but hold it for time... then you'll eventually do a full range dumbbell deadlift - it becomes just a simple matter of time and effort.

When I lifted it and the other bells both in training and showing off I did partials, plate loaded, part reps and full reps. The difference between me and someone who does it an inch is only time - nothing more.

Thanks Steve,

Guess that was the original point of the post.

The difference between me and someone who does it an inch is only time - nothing more.

Tremendous quote right there man. I respect that.

So..if you lift the inch and inch your a inch lifter? :D

yes, if you lift the Inch an inch, you've lifted an Inch an inch, but you haven't lifted an Inch.

So, if you lift the inch an inch, you have in fact lifted an Inch an inch and are inching towards lifting the Inch..inch by inch?

:whacked

I asked oldtimer (Dale Harder) about what constitutes a good lift some time ago and he said the original challenge was to lift it off the ground at all, not necessarily to lockout. The Gripboard was the first to say that it had to be full lockout.

At some point, Inch changed the Challenge to a one hand clean and jerk. Right? That would be why he does exactly that in his "proof" video.

Exactly. Those who couldn't do anything decided it had to be a full deadlift. Inch never did.

Steve, the rules were established with inputs from all gripboard members. Maybe it should be changed?

Inch was a fraud. He has no bearing on this discussion.

Do we want to replicate the original challenge? What was it exactly? Or do we want to keep it the way it is here to establish a new standard?

Whether Inch could do it or not, the original challenge was to simply lift it right? Does Joe Roark know the answer to this definitively?

Edited by pdoire

I think the rules we've got here are a fair and level playing field. Full deadlift, no tilt, etc. My comment on the clean and jerk was a too subtle way of pointing out that Inch's challenge changed as it suited him.

I disagree, baring in mind that there's video evidence of my doing all that has been required (GGC 2004 DVD). The low number of people here and elsewhere who can do anything negates, IMO, the need for rules from the GB. Those with access to an Inch are even less and it's only a little more for opportunity.

The number of people here, for example, who are big strong guys and have done some thick bar training and or have a damn good grip and can do next to nothing with an Inch (inc those who can press it but not pull it one handed from the floor) negates moving the bar higher by not allowing them even a tiltled part lift as opposed to a standing fully erect, no tilt, one hand deadlift of the Inch. If there were many then mayby, but, if it's only 60 or so... and from that 60 not all have done it as needed then what. I realise by allowing more to be considered the list on which I am on becomes bigger but I'm not that insecure that I cannot see a value to what those that haven't full deadlifted etc etc.

Sean and Bill are right in that Inch did (in all) next to nothing with the 172 and moved the goalposts. But he cannot be removed completely otherwise the rules are for thick handled dumbbell deadlifts and not Inch dumbbells.

Bill, the "...Inch was a fraud" statement is not a good one. I'm not sure

you or anyone else here can prove your assertion. (citing quotes in old muscle magazines somehow isn't the best when it comes to "historical" methodology.) KW

Bill, the "...Inch was a fraud" statement is not a good one. I'm not sure

you or anyone else here can prove your assertion. (citing quotes in old muscle magazines somehow isn't the best when it comes to "historical" methodology.) KW

This is my opinion. It's only based on his "video clip" that shows him lifting a challenge dumbbell. Anyone who pulls what he did in the clip should be suspect at best. What he pulled was outright fraud to the iron game (in my opinion). That speaks in spades to me. If someone can prove differently, I'll be the first to change my opinion.