Hand Control

GarytheDino

What exercises do you like for hand control? I hear alot of talk about it but not sure I understand even what hand control means. Assuming it means the ability to take my opponent into a hook or top roll.

I my opinion it's not possible to seperate hand control and wrist control. These are the keys in successful armwrestling. If you have the control of hands and wrists your opponent isn't able to do his favourite moves. For example: If your opponent tries to toproll, you need strong fingertips and a strong wrist (in the wristcurl direction) to stop him. Good exercise for this: plate wristcurls. If your opponent tries to hook (and you don't want in the hook), pull back and against his fingertips (backpressure) and let your wrist straight that he isn't able to curl his wrist. You don't need a strong hand for this, just a strong wrist in the front lever/hammer curl direction.

Flo

I my opinion it's not possible to seperate hand control and wrist control. These are the keys in successful armwrestling. If you have the control of hands and wrists your opponent isn't able to do his favourite moves. For example: If your opponent tries to toproll, you need strong fingertips and a strong wrist (in the  wristcurl direction) to stop him. Good exercise for this: plate wristcurls. If your opponent tries to hook (and you don't want in the hook), pull back and against his fingertips (backpressure) and let your wrist straight that he isn't able to curl his wrist. You don't need a strong hand for this, just a strong wrist in the front lever/hammer curl direction.

Flo

Flo thanks for explaining that!

I have been doing high reps with a dumbbell rolling down to my finger tips then curling it up while keeping my arm vertical to the floor. I call them finger roll ups........not sure if that is the proper term. I have noticed that when top rolling that the logical exercise is front lever. I have done some of those but really been hitting the finger roll ups hard in search of "hand control"

What about reps? I've been doing 25 per set. I figure a table session is like maxing out so I do super high reps in the weight room.

I wonder if someone could write an article or post a FAQ section. AW is really hard to understand at the beginning. For example I first thought back pressure meant to pull away from the pin pad not back toward your body. I thought inside was close to your body and outside was away. Now I know inside is the inside of your opponents hand, as in a wrist attack (hook) and outside is the outside of your opponents hand as in a finger attack (top roll).

I have been doing high reps with a dumbbell rolling down to my finger tips then curling it up while keeping my arm vertical to the floor. I call them finger roll ups........not sure if that is the proper term. I have noticed that when top rolling that the logical exercise is front lever. I have done some of those but really been hitting the finger roll ups hard in search of "hand control"

What about reps? I've been doing 25 per set. I figure a table session is like maxing out so I do super high reps in the weight room.

I wonder if someone could write an article or post a FAQ section. AW is really hard to understand at the beginning. For example I first thought back pressure meant to pull away from the pin pad not back toward your body. I thought inside was close to your body and outside was away. Now I know inside is the inside of your opponents hand, as in a wrist attack (hook) and outside is the outside of your opponents hand as in a finger attack (top roll).

gary forget all the different names and types of positions when you get on the table you more or less go into a survival mode and 9 out of 10 times do what you feel is your best move to survive and its not one you planed it depends on what the other guy does first i guess about 8 years ago i stopped lifting and hadn't touched a weight for 3 years well i saw an up and coming event that was taking place in 2 month well 2 months isn't enough to train to win anything i met up against a guy who growled and had hand control over me the ref would set us up and he would show me i couldn't turn his hand where i wanted it and he won the match because i couldn't get my best grove i'm stating if you get strong enough and stronger than your opponents in wrist arm hand and tricep you almost will always win when you do bench press if you go one inch out of your grove you lose your momentum and armwrestling is the same way just do it your way and you will be fine :D ps do lower reps to for power and heavy

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS