Wr Criteria

Mikael Siversson

As far as judges go I think in most cases you only need one or possibly two.

Most important thing (besides knowing the rules) is that they do not yield to pressure and that they are emotionally totally detached (at least during the competition) from all competitors.

They should also be in charge of the calibration of the plates used, if possible (for recognition of records or inclusion of results in Euro-standard lists). This latter detail seems to be a source of much agony. Please use either a certified scale or use certified weight plates to calibrate a non-certified scale.

It is probably fair to assume that no World Records will be recognised as such in the European grip community unless/until the weights used have been properly calibrated.

Important that we can present constructive criticism without it being taken as personal attacks and therefore ignored or ridiculed, often by people hiding behind their fake names. We need to maintain a certain degree of professionalism if we want this sport to grow and prosper.

I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize to the Diesel Crew for being so impatient and demanding the results at a time when they probably needed to recover from the whole affair.

What if an object, of any given weight, was weighed on two scales and recieved the same reading, would that satisfy your criteria?

How does someone who want's to put on a contest obtain a certified scale or plates?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• smitty

What if an object, of any given weight, was weighed on two scales and recieved the same reading, would that satisfy your criteria?

No, unless the scales were certified. Two erroneous readings does not make one correct reading.

How does someone who want's to put on a contest obtain a certified scale or plates?

Certified scales are present at a number of places, including post offices and supermarkets. An organiser could perhaps approach these places and ask them if they could weigh some plates as part of sponsorship of their competition.

Certified plates are plates certified for usage in competitions. For example, Eleiko have competition plates which can then be used for calibrating a non-certified scale. Weight lifting clubs often have these and use them in competitions.

No, unless the scales were certified. Two erroneous readings does not make one correct reading.

Certified scales are present at a number of places, including post offices and supermarkets. An organiser could perhaps approach these places and ask them if they could weigh some plates as part of sponsorship of their competition.

Certified plates are plates certified for usage in competitions. For example, Eleiko have competition plates which can then be used for calibrating a non-certified scale. Weight lifting clubs often have these and use them in competitions.

If i want to hold a contest and I brought a 25lb plate to the Post office and it weighed 25lbs, then weighed it on my home scale and it weights 25lbs, would that be acceptable?

Most important thing (besides knowing the rules) is that they do not yield to pressure and that they are emotionally totally detached (at least during the competition) from all competitors.

They should also be in charge of the calibration of the plates used, if possible (for recognition of records or inclusion of results in Euro-standard lists). This latter detail seems to be a source of much agony. Please use either a certified scale or use certified weight plates to calibrate a non-certified scale.

It is probably fair to assume that no World Records will be recognised as such in the European grip community unless/until the weights used have been properly calibrated.

Important that we can present constructive criticism without it being taken as personal attacks and therefore ignored or ridiculed, often by people hiding behind their fake names. We need to maintain a certain degree of professionalism if we want this sport to grow and prosper.

I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize to the Diesel Crew for being so impatient and demanding the results at a time when they probably needed to recover from the whole affair.

If we want this sport to grow and prosper making such a big deal about "world records" is not a good place to start. I gotta admit, I've been really turned off by these discussions, and your posts in particular Mikeal.

I got into grip training because I like having strong hands. For me, grip comps are just a fun thing to do - I enjoy the competition and the company of like-minded people. The beauty of grip comps is that the competitors are not in it for money, fame or some kind of obscure recognition, they do it because they like to. People don't bring their ego to such competitions and that's why there's such camaraderie, and thus enjoyment.

If you guys want to try and take a fringe sport (is grip even a "sport"?) and make it into some kind of prestigious standardized "high-caliber" competition, you're killing the essence of it, IMO. Most people here could care less who recognizes their efforts but these new "rules" are going to attract people who have other motives besides getting strong.

If i want to hold a contest and I brought a 25lb plate to the Post office and it weighed 25lbs, then weighed it on my home scale and it weights 25lbs, would that be acceptable?

The problem with a simple bathroom scale for example is the lack of precision (i.e. 25 lbs is not a very precise measurement).

Moreover, just because the scale is accurate at 25 lbs does not necessarily mean that it would be accurate at 200lbs or at 300lbs.

Why not bring all the plates (or as many as possible), weight them all and make a note of their weight.

If we want this sport to grow and prosper making such a big deal about "world records" is not a good place to start. I gotta admit, I've been really turned off by these discussions, and your posts in particular Mikeal.

My name is Mikael.

I got into grip training because I like having strong hands. For me, grip comps are just a fun thing to do - I enjoy the competition and the company of like-minded people. The beauty of grip comps is that the competitors are not in it for money, fame or some kind of obscure recognition, they do it because they like to. People don't bring their ego to such competitions and that's why there's such camaraderie, and thus enjoyment.

I certainly bring my ego to competitions. The two of us wants to dominate other males as thoroughly as is humanly possible.

If you guys want to try and take a fringe sport (is grip even a "sport"?) and make it into some kind of prestigious standardized "high-caliber" competition, you're killing the essence of it, IMO. Most people here could care less who recognizes their efforts but these new "rules" are going to attract people who have other motives besides getting strong.

My motives include getting strong and establishing Alpha-Omega male relationships. Some individuals will not appreciate the changes that are taking place. That is just part of life. You can't please them all.

The problem with a simple bathroom scale for example is the lack of precision (i.e. 25 lbs is not a very precise measurement).

Moreover, just because the scale is accurate at 25 lbs does not necessarily mean that it would be accurate at 200lbs or at 300lbs.

Why not bring all the plates (or as many as possible), weight them all and make a note of their weight.

but if all the plates were weighed individually with the bathroom scale then there wouldn't be an issue then.

Hey Dan i doubt anybody would ever prevent you from practising your sport (or hobby if you prefer) the way you want it...

E.G: There is an international tennis federation but you can still play tennis with your friends for fun...

My motives include getting strong and establishing Alpha-Omega male relationships. Some individuals will not appreciate the changes that are taking place. That is just part of life. You can't please them all.

I like your constructive efforts to turn grip into an organised sport Mikael but i think you could have avoided these "Alpha-Omega" considerations even if it is part of your "strange" sense of humour... I'm not sure it would give a good publicity to our sport ("guys that bend nails, tear phonebooks and want to establish Alpha-Omega male relationships"..........).

Good amount of names so far, who's missing?

Smitty

Jedd Johnson

Arne Persson

Kevin Fulton

Rick Walker

David Hurzeler

A german who runs their comps.

Any of these guys interested?

David

I think David Hurzeler would be interested. He would make an obvious representative for Switzerland.

I must admit that a big fun part of competing for me is to travel and meet people. But I also have a competitive spirit in me (I've done many sports over the years), and enjoy testing my body and mind.

Anyway, I hope when we get into the chat room we can leave behind alpha male relationship rubbish and the like! That way we can get a lot done I think, and hope.

Just my thoughts,

David

For purposes of discussion, I think a qualified judge ought to be someone who has experience competing or judging in at least one grip contest. Barring that, having someone who is experienced in judging any sport should suffice, although an effort should be made to have someone familiar with grip contests judge the comp. That way they know what should pass and what shouldn't.

Just looked, and 1st October is a saturday, so maybe the nearest saturday to the 1st. That way a lot of us will be free from work.

What ya think?

I knew that there would be something funny in this thread if it got long enough.

"First Saturday of every month" is the easiest way to state it.

I'm down for the 1st or the 8th, but I have a strongman comp during the day on the 1st.

BC.

Either date is fine with me.

Man, another of my posts disappeared. This is getting annoying.

Either date is fine with me.

Man, another of my posts disappeared.  This is getting annoying.

A few posts got caught by accident when the flames where hot (when removed by one of the mods). Yours was one. Sorry about that.

WOW, just read this thread for the first time!!!

This is like trying to establish "New World Order" (chaos will soon reside)

Olympics have there records, US Weightlifting has there records, there are seperate world records for events, I don't even know how many different Powerlifing organizations there are to have different records. This is all so entirely segregated now.

you know, the nice thing about the grip community is that we are not overly large enough for this to become unmanagable. I hope that the promoting members chosen can work this out and comprimise. If you do, that will be a world record if I've ever seen one.