Lessons Learned

Bill Piche

I think I've posted in here somewhere, but I've gotten smarter since then :D

-Don't worry about "training this many times" a week. Train when your hands feel good.

-Never do more than 5 reps when closing a gripper. Ever

-Work other aspects of you hands.

These two statements are contradictory. High reps definetely have a place in training, what if you are training for endurance? What if there is an event in a competition? What if you are trying to toughen the hands?

Some more lessons I've learned...

--When concentrating on a pinch feat of a new width, such as going from two 35's to five 10's, you can maintain the skill without working on it, but won't gain much strength unless you continue training at the old width as well.

--Rope climbing and thick bar lifts will probably build the best grip for a wrestler or grappler, who needs far more in the ways of endurance than all out strength. But maximal strength don't hurt.

These two statements are contradictory. High reps definetely have a place in training, what if you are training for endurance? What if there is an event in a competition? What if you are trying to toughen the hands?

Some more lessons I've learned...

--When concentrating on a pinch feat of a new width, such as going from two 35's to five 10's, you can maintain the skill without working on it, but won't gain much strength unless you continue training at the old width as well.

--Rope climbing and thick bar lifts will probably build the best grip for a wrestler or grappler, who needs far more in the ways of endurance than all out strength. But maximal strength don't hurt.

The title of the thread is lessons learned :trout So lessons I've learned for my kind of training. I'm interested in strength, not reps. It doesn't apply to everyone. And by other aspects, I mean pinch and thickbar. And what do high reps have to do with "tough" hands?

Edited by Wes

So lessons I've learned for my kind of training.

Ah, see I thought we were sharing general tidbits of wisdom for everyone. You should've said "for strength..."

I think I've posted in here somewhere, but I've gotten smarter since then :D

-Don't worry about "training this many times" a week. Train when your hands feel good.

This is why Wes will close the #4 someday. :cool

This is why Wes will close the #4 someday.
:rock Edited by GetAGrip87

My experiences:

-read and learn from everyone in here, very motivating

-hold a filed gripper shut, and think about crushing the ends to dust rather than focusing on just reps

-PEG2 open hand extension work has actually relieved lower arm pain that I was having after big gripper workouts, and I also feel more "solid" during a gripper crush now, thanks to the PEG2

-PEG2 open hand extensions seem to be helping my sledge levering, also no pain after a sledge workout now

-I do grippers, and then thick bar and while this does make thick bar harder, I'm seeing gains in crush strength and forearm size

Here's one I learned: Don't think that just because you make rapid gains early on that this means you'll be the first one to mash shut the RB WT.

There are proven programs out there such as The Amidon/Morton High Rep scheme that has allowed others to make great advances in strength...IE Josh Dale (jad).

Different strokes for different folks...

Also before you were here Wes, Bencrush did a great deal of high volume also...

Edited by pdoire

As you can see, my training has changed yet again, and now I'm doing exactly the opposite! High volume negs LOL

High volume seems to of worked well for a lot of people, but high volume reps never really worked well for me, and I always felt stronger when I went back to singles and negs. Hopefully this negs only work will pan out.

Wes,

The negs will work out...after you have done them for a while and achieved a goal you could try switching to high rep.

It worked for me too and was a refeshing change of pace from the brutality of KTA or Kinney style workouts.

Have you actually read Amidon's High Rep routine?

Yes, I've read Greg's routine, and it seems to of worked wonders for many people. I think Patrick Gansel used it to close the #4. I'll probably give it a try sometime.

Variety can be the spice of life....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Squats CAN be bad for your knees regardless of how good your technique is or how light the weight is.

Don't listen to the advice of "experienced" people if you do not think it is right. Come to your own solution.

Grippers alone do not build a good grip.

Wrist strength is important.

• 3 weeks later...

Squat-get strong.

Find out not only how to do these things we do, but also why. This may save days or years of progress.

Mike

Grippers alone do not build a good grip.

Wrist strength is important.

I agree greatly with those.

Don't neglect anything.

• 2 months later...

I have found that for me....

-Leg and back strength=body strength

-Pinch grip=hand strength

-my body is a chain every link must become stronger

-I am insane, it is what makes me push harder...

-Live with Strength and Honor they complement each other

And for everyone (that I've trained with)

-Train all aspects: strength (brute force), power, endurance, Combat conditioning/body weight, CARDIO, and Dino/Strongman.

-Make what is weak your priority

-Strong hands+strong wrists+ strong core=everything else becomes stronger.

-GET PHYCHED UP NOT OUT!

-don't worry about your size, it will come or it won't, worry about your strength and your wellbeing... some of the smallest guys I know are also some of the strongest...

-your body is "fearfully and wonderfully made" list'n to it, it will tell you which path will help you reach your goals...

-YOUR NOT THE LONE WARRIOR, FIND YOUR KIN IN THIS PERSUIT, THEY WILL WATCH YOUR BACK, AND PICK YOU UP WHEN YOU'RE TOO TIRED TO STAND!

- Learn you genes and know your goals, then integrate and train accordingly....marathon runners don't squat 800+ but they can haul a long ways...

• 7 months later...

It's now the year 2008! :D Very interesting to read all the advice and knowledge from years and months past; I think that grip newbies should read this thread - mandatory reading - and then work on their own grip goals whatever they may be. :happy

• 1 year later...

Variation + rest = healthy progress

• 1 month later...

Be careful when training with a wide grip, especially if you're either new, or the grip width is more than you're used to. I strained my thumb a month ago doing pinch training and it still hurts.