Lessons Learned

Bill Piche

Fingertip pushups are great for strengthening tendons and ligaments of the hand, and they are free!!

"Make small goals and reach them. Make Milestones and forever fight to get close."

I like this Rick. When you have a solid plan of action to reach small goals, the big ones will fall into line.

I know this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I just remembered something that helped more then I can say. I thought I should post it when I used it in my training today. That is using a mattress, sofa or other springy item to assist in lifting an object out of reach, be it a blob, inch or even some plates. Its messy (gets chalk all over your bed or sofa) but I honestly feel that this has helped me more then most other training methods, especially for lifting the blob. And you dont have to create a deload system. I urge people to try it out.

Edited by Anuwbius

After a hard bending, pinch and gripper workout, do NOT take a girl to a Japanese restaurant. Eating sushi with fork or your fingers do NOT look cool.

Claes

Keep an open mind.

Because an "it's always been done this way" mentality may prevent you from reaching higher levels.

Very true. Last year, most of the top guys pulled around 150k in the v-bar and once I got above 140k in training it was like hitting a wall. Every kilogram added above this towards 150 felt like a ton.

These days the top guys are pulling around 165k and I have lost some respect for 150k.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Sometimes the weaker guys know more than the stronger guys.

i.e. ask em what they did the first time they touched a weight(or a gripper)see what THEIR progress has been. The 'monster' sometimes knows the least.......and his workouts may be the worst.T he guy that barely closed a trainer or a #1(or couldn't squat 135 first try)may have picked up the most knowledge as he progressed.

(something like that) :D

Trolls ramble on but don't say much......

When i was in martial arts some years ago, There was a student i trained with, He was very powerfull and huge.He suggested that i take a very hot shower prior to hard workouts to relax the muscles and the mind for the pounding which is to follow. He also said it aids in post workout recovery. I tryed it not sure if it works but give it a shot.

.........bending has to be in you or you'll just be "trying" to bend. < <

peace,

burner

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Accumulate as much knowledge as possible from the "experts", but use your own judgement!

I have very short arms and always pulled sumo. Then I read from the "experts" that I should pull conventional to "work my back more" (as if it wasn't sore enough!). Conventional was awkward, hurt my knees, and was impossible to keep a flat back, but I pressed on. The result, after only a few weeks: a permanently life altering back injury from pulling 100 lbs less than I was safely handling before!

Make sure you listen to the one person who knows your body better than anybody else...YOU.

In bending dont be over anxious and showboat in front of your friends and foul up your shoulder like I did.......spend more time bending things you can bend and a little less in moving up in size or lowering the length....recovering from an injury sux.

If your going to be a bear .....be a GRIZZLY!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I have noticed with grippers.

I have quite small hands and mainly because of that I've done most (allmost all) of my gripper workouts setting the gripper deep. I have done so because all the talk about that last little bit being the most important. Result is that I'm now able to close filed down #3 and even grind the handles together with about 40 mm set, BUT I totally suck when I'm trying to close the same #3 with CCS or no set...

So it is the FIRST little bit that I have to concentrate now. Looking back I sort of wish that I would have noticed that earlier. So open hand strength is now my weakness and therefore top priority. Full range of motion is what doctor described.

It has been a great learning experience and journey anyway. There is allways something to shoot for.

If you have injured or broken bones/tendons(tendinitis), or have other nagging injuries...try Cissus Quadrangularis....it works wonders....it speeds up healing of bones/tendons.....

I suggest creatine monohydrate for recovery after hard workout and in general...it will substantially improve grip...

Diet is very important for good gains...

Fish Oil 6-10g a day will go a long way....as will a multivitamin....

Strength is made after the workouts with recovery, diet, and lifestyle factors....

Consistancy is key to progress...

Edited by menace3000

Uni-lateral kettlebell training has helped me to get my allways weaker left arm/hand allmost as strong as my right arm/hand. I believe it has happened because of motor learning. Bilateral training with barbell allways kept my left side lacking in strength. Strength is a skill.

Edited by Teemu I

• 4 weeks later...

Never doubt your abilities.

Focus on the task at hand.

There is a time to give up.

Knowing is not the same as doing, for those who know, may have never done.

• 1 month later...

I've learned that after the #1, progress becomes much slower. I thought that by now I would be closing the #3 and getting certified and eventually closing the RB-WTG. Basically my lesson was that quick progress early on doesnt mean that it'll last forever.