• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Browne

• gerryg

• Dude

Anyone else have any feedback on the Devils Advocate?

Mine should be here in a week or so, I'll let ya know how it feels gerry

Thanks Ron,

I'll be looking foward to reading your review!

We have every Formulator type available including the small grip bar versions. If you have any more questions, please email. (I'm assuming you already have.)

Thanks again,

-Karen

We have every Formulator type available including the small grip bar versions.  If you have any more questions, please email. (I'm assuming you already have.)

Thanks again,

-Karen

Karen?

I got my ISG DA yesterday in the mail. FIrst off I accidentally ordered 2 extra springs which was a waste (i didnt know the poundages before odering) because the 2 it comes with are plenty.

The handles on it do simulate a gripper very well. There is a slight difference with the angle of the handles compared to the COC grippers though. I havent tried PDA grippers before but the handles on the ISG DA are smaller than the IM or BB grippers that Ive tried. Since its not a torsion spring it has a different feel compared to the grippers. However, with the choker tool that I ordered you can train different areas of the crush so its able to work higher lbs like choking a hard gripper way down.

The only problem that I saw is that one of my handles cames off when I tugged on it a little, and now it likes to slide off occasionally. If it comes off it easily pops right back on so its not a problem using it. I was thinking of maybe tacking it on for good with a welder on the inside but I think I'm gonna leave it as is so I can easily replace the handles if need be.

Overall I'd say its a great buy. I think it will definately improve crushing strength, and the price for the # of different poundages that the DA is capable of is more than worth it imo.

I got my ISG DA yesterday in the mail. FIrst off I accidentally ordered 2 extra springs which was a waste (i didnt know the poundages before odering) because the 2 it comes with are plenty.

The handles on it do simulate a gripper very well. There is a slight difference with the angle of the handles compared to the COC grippers though. I havent tried PDA grippers before but the handles on the ISG DA are smaller than the IM or BB grippers that Ive tried. Since its not a torsion spring it has a different feel compared to the grippers. However, with the choker tool that I ordered you can train different areas of the crush so its able to work higher lbs like choking a hard gripper way down.

The only problem that I saw is that one of my handles cames off when I tugged on it a little, and now it likes to slide off occasionally. If it comes off it easily pops right back on so its not a problem using it. I was thinking of maybe tacking it on for good with a welder on the inside but I think I'm gonna leave it as is so I can easily replace the handles if need be.

Overall I'd say its a great buy. I think it will definately improve crushing strength, and the price for the # of different poundages that the DA is capable of is more than worth it imo.

You may want to call John S. or better yet email him about the loose handle.

I`m sure he would want to know and research possible bonding problems.

Since you just received it and it just happened I would not wait.

I would want it repaired or replaced.

Put some JB Weld on it. In the FAQ section of their website, it explains what to use to prep the metal. http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

If you order the ISG DA with no extra springs, how many springs come with it standard?  Just curious how many springs did you order Dude?

2 springs are standard and they will give you 345 pounds.

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/ivanko_gripper.html

3 springs will give you 451 pounds.

4 springs will give you 522 pounds.

http://web.telia.com/~u30010580/supergripper.html

:)

If you order the ISG DA with no extra springs, how many springs come with it standard?  Just curious how many springs did you order Dude?

Those numbers are for an inner grip on the ISG, means you have your hand next to the pin, not many do it that way. If you use it with your hand at the bottom, on it's widest point your numbers are much lower.

Here is a calculator for inner and outer grip up to 3 springs.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/supergripper.html

Download the 3 spring calculator

Those numbers are for an inner grip on the ISG, means you have your hand next to the pin, not many do it that way. If you use it with your hand at the bottom, on it's widest point your numbers are much lower.

Here is a calculator for inner and outer grip up to 3 springs.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/supergripper.html

Download the 3 spring calculator

Thanks! That's a cool calculator. Did you make it? :D

With very quick service from PDA my Devil's Advocate arrived on Saturday! At first I did not like the feel of the ISDA compared to a TSG, but it is starting to grow on me! The only drawback that I see is how the handles are mounted, I also have a loose handle! The handles seem to be bonded with silicone, and I was wondering if a pin mount would be better?

With very quick service from PDA my Devil's Advocate arrived on Saturday! At first I did not like the feel of the ISDA compared to a TSG, but it is starting to grow on me! The only drawback that I see is how the handles are mounted, I also have a loose handle! The handles seem to be bonded with silicone, and I was wondering if a pin mount would be better?

Two reports in in two days of loose handles. Thanks for the heads up.

Having read the two posts stating that a handle has come loose on their newly

purchased DA, I was puzzled by it and took it upon myself to notify John S. at PDA.

We have maintained a long tenure of buisness. We discussed the two incidents

of handle problems posted here on the board.

I have had my DA for about 10 mos. and have conservatively squeezed over a

thousand or so reps on it and have experienced no handle problem in this time frame.

My opinion is, a technician misapplied or improperly cured the material used for bonding the handles. After a few emails between John and myself, he asked me to post his last reply to me as is. Hope you guys find this helpful.

By the way, I was looking over the PDA site today and viewed their answer for wrist and forearm training. It is named the Chimera. Very much along the lines of the Formulator but you can work it like a dard as well. Interesting.

To: Rick Browne

Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 6:14 PM

Subject: Re: ISGDA

Hey, Rick

If you have time, post this message as-is. With a 0.002% failure rate on one handle per gripper, we need to get it to zero, no loose handles. We know where to look, know what to do, and will do it, so that everything falls into PDA line. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Already wrote to Ron. Not sure who or if grerryg is. Too much work to do to hang on the boards.

Sincerely appreciate the heads up. We're busy designing and building seven days a week. Your input helps. Wish we were sitting back drop shipping (not).

Best Regards,

John

With a 0.002% failure rate on one handle per gripper, we need to get it to zero, no loose handles.

how many of these handles have been manufactured and then delivered.

have 1000 been sold already?

With a 0.002% failure rate on one handle per gripper, we need to get it to zero, no loose handles.

how many of these handles have been manufactured and then delivered.

have 1000 been sold already?

Sorry, I honestly do not know.

I talked to John Szimanski from PDA today via telephone and he offered to take back my Devil's Advocate for a full refund plus an additional $9.95 for my return expense! I'm going to keep my Devil's Advocate, the more I train with it the more I like it! John is a class act! I feel bad because I should have talked to him before I posted about my Devil's Advocate and I apologize to John for any problems I may have caused!

I talked to John Szimanski  from PDA  today via telephone and he offered to take back my Devil's Advocate for a full refund plus an additional $9.95 for my return expense! I'm going to keep my Devil's Advocate, the more I train with it the more I like it! John is a class act! I feel bad because I should have talked to him before I posted about my Devil's Advocate and I apologize to John for any problems I may have caused!

Glad to see you have worked out the problem gerry. ;)

Speaking with John myself today, I came away with a clearer understanding of

how the handles of the DA are assembled. I was in error when I thought the handles were bonded and that the loosening of the reportd handles were due to

inproper bonding. This is not the case. John explained the handles are milled to precise fit to the ISG and are PRESSED on. The handles can be pulled off if one is

so inclined to do so. Tugging on the handles will certainly be enough to do it.

Like I said earlier, I have had mine for 10 mos. or so and the handles are solid

as the day I received it. Of course, I never monkeyed around with them to

cause the handles to pull off. Not accusing the other two members of doing so,

but maybe it could have happened inadvertently.

John said PDA will be addressing the issue at hand. John stated PDA has sold

a thousand units or more and these two reported loose handles, were the first.

IMO, it is a fine piece of grip equipment!

The way I read the Info on PDA`s web about trade-ins and modifying an ISG,

is that the ISG must be purchased from PDA originally. Correct? or no?

damn I think so, in both sections where it talks about the trade-in it says

"Already have an IG purchased from PDA and just want the knurled handles put on?"

i guess that ya gotta do it that way.

Can I buy an IGDA at PDA without having an IG at home to change into the IGDA?? :erm

Having read the two posts stating that a handle has come loose on their newly

purchased DA, I was puzzled by it and took it upon myself to notify John S. at PDA.

We have maintained a long tenure of buisness. We discussed the two incidents

of handle problems posted here on the board.

I have had my DA for about 10 mos. and have conservatively squeezed over a

thousand or so reps on it and have experienced no handle problem in this time frame.

My opinion is, a technician misapplied or improperly cured the material used for bonding the handles. After a few emails between John and myself, he asked me to post his last reply to me as is. Hope you guys find this helpful.

By the way, I was looking over the PDA site today and viewed their answer for wrist and forearm training. It is named the Chimera. Very much along the lines of the Formulator but you can work it like a dard as well. Interesting.

To: Rick Browne

Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 6:14 PM

Subject: Re: ISGDA

Hey, Rick

If you have time, post this message as-is. With a 0.002% failure rate on one handle per gripper, we need to get it to zero, no loose handles. We know where to look, know what to do, and will do it, so that everything falls into PDA line. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Already wrote to Ron. Not sure who or if grerryg is. Too much work to do to hang on the boards.

Sincerely appreciate the heads up. We're busy designing and building seven days a week. Your input helps. Wish we were sitting back drop shipping (not).

Best Regards,

John

Other than the loose handle I love it. I really didnt mind it being loose because I figured I could order new handles down the road when the knurling began to wear.

I hope Gerry's as well as my post didnt deter anyone from ordering a ISG-DA. I think you would be missing out on a badass grip tool because since getting it I've rarely touched my grippers.

A few dabs of silicone is nothing to make a big deal about imo. I emailed John asking how I could repair the small glitch and he told me that he'd take it back with full S+H refund to fix it which I thought was very nice of him. I didnt see the need bc once again, its a few dabs of silicone to fix a very minor problem.

Side note: Choker tool works very nicely. Helps to work different parts of the grip and I think its what enables it to compare to a TSG after a grip workout.

The way I read the Info on PDA`s web about trade-ins and modifying an ISG,

is that the ISG must be purchased from PDA originally. Correct? or no?

damn I think so, in both sections where it talks about the trade-in it says

"Already have an IG purchased from PDA and just want the knurled handles put on?"

i guess that ya gotta do it that way.

Can I buy an IGDA at PDA without having an IG at home to change into the IGDA?? :erm

Yes. (The trade-in program is an added offer to enable previous purchasers of

of an ISG from PDA to have their ISGs retrofitted with the DA handles).