Ivanko Gripper Devils Advocate And The Formulator

Bill Piche

I have to admit I have a regular Ivanko Super Gripper and have not used it much. It is collecting dust actually. Frankly, I hates the way it felt on my hand and that it wasn't like a regular spring gripper feel wise. People have tried to also solve the "adjustable spring gripper" problem. What people have ended up doing is buying lots of grippers to get a progession. Sometimes the simplest solution of an already good piece is so "right there" in front of your eyes it's missed. I truly think PDA has likely solved the problem by putting spring gripper handles on the ISG. I got my Devils Advocate today and all I can say is I am really impressed. The feel is awesome. By simply adding the knurled gripper handles, the adjustable gripper is here IMO. My first thoughts after I took some squeezes was the ease of carrying a "gripper" around places with a huge ability to vary the resistance. All in one package now. Especially when traveling.

Also, it's hard IMO for people to really tell what a piece is like without seeing it in action. So, I made a video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3046

When of my biggest issues these days is time. There isn't enough of it. So, I am always looking to make my training more effective time wise. I never worked wrists before because it was a pain for setup and frankly felt awkward. Then, I saw the formulator. Like most of you, I was at first holding off due to price. But, I then remembered a motto that's pretty much held true for me: you get what you pay for. I know I have started my opinion before about the Formulator. But, this time I wanted to post a video as well to "show" how quick one can go from extensions to curls and vice versa. What I have also noticed is that I can almost just use the formulator and keep pretty much my overall grip strength. Weird, but true. The reason I got to test this is again lack of time. Just banging out a couple sets of curls and extensions and I was done. And, maybe some messing with grippers once a week for a few singles.

Anyway, I have tried a lot of grip tools and my belief is these two are in a special class and at the front edge of available grip tools. I was not asked to post about these grip tools either. And, yes, I had to pay for them myself.

Here's the Formulator in action with a video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3047

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Browne

• gerryg

• Dude

Hmm. maybe gonna get me a formulator then..

Edited by DuTCH

You got mail John!

I would be curious to see what kind of improvements people have seen in other grip work by using the formulator.

I know John is not willing to post actual training numbers, does anyone else have some nice correlations between formulator improvement and other grip strength improvement? Especially if you have already been doing wrist curls regularly? I am just curious, I have been too lazy to do wrist curls myself.

Honestly, looks like a great piece of equipment, but wrist curling is quite a bit more cost effective at this point for me.

I would say the same about the Devil's advocate- Beautiful looking thing, just not in my price range for what it does.

In a perfect world, I would own both.

Now, what I would love to see available commercially, is an adjustable gripper like the one Tom Black has on his website. Heath was nice enough to make one for me once. I still cherish that thing, thanks again Heath! Since you have a little pull with PDA Bill, having them make one of those would really be great for grip training.

I would be curious to see what kind of improvements people have seen in other grip work by using the formulator.

Yes, i would like to know this as well. What kind of effects did it have on other aspects of grip? Bigger forearms, better bender or crusher?

I have to admit I have a regular Ivanko Super Gripper and have not used it much. It is collecting dust actually. Frankly, I hates the way it felt on my hand and that it wasn't like a regular spring gripper feel wise.  People have tried to also solve the "adjustable spring gripper" problem. What people have ended up doing is buying lots of grippers to get a progession. Sometimes the simplest solution of an already good piece is so "right there" in front of your eyes it's missed. I truly think PDA has likely solved the problem by putting spring gripper handles on the ISG.  I got my Devils Advocate today and all I can say is I am really impressed.  The feel is awesome.  By simply adding the knurled gripper handles, the adjustable gripper is here IMO.  My first thoughts after I took some squeezes was the ease of carrying a "gripper" around places with a huge ability to vary the resistance. All in one package now. Especially when traveling.

Also, it's hard IMO for people to really tell what a piece is like without seeing it in action. So, I made a video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3046

When of my biggest issues these days is time.  There isn't enough of it. So, I am always looking to make my training more effective time wise.  I never worked wrists before because it was a pain for setup and frankly felt awkward.  Then, I saw the formulator. Like most of you, I was at first holding off due to price. But, I then remembered a motto that's pretty much held true for me: you get what you pay for.  I know I have started my opinion before about the Formulator. But, this time I wanted to post a video as well to "show" how quick one can go from extensions to curls and vice versa.  What I have also noticed is that I can almost just use the formulator and keep pretty much my overall grip strength.  Weird, but true. The reason I got to test this is again lack of time. Just banging out a couple sets of curls and extensions and I was done. And, maybe some messing with grippers once a week for a few singles. 

Anyway, I have tried a lot of grip tools and my belief is these two are in a special class and at the front edge of available grip tools.  I was not asked to post about these grip tools either. And, yes, I had to pay for them myself. 

Here's the Formulator in action with a video.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=3047

Great info, Bill. Thank you! :)

Takes too long to adjust IMO. The feel is ragged on the edge. Not even close to the settings available of an Ivanko gripper. Just a couple reasons why I believe the IGDA is in a totally different league.

Yes, Heath made me one (so I am not guessing an opinion) quite awhile ago. Thanks Heath!

Well, what I have noticed is an increased sweep strength without even working the sweep -- gripper or otherwise.

And, yes, forearm size is a side effect as expected with it's use. Did I measure before or after? No, but I have more muscle poppin it seems (at least my subjective own assessment) on the tops of my forearms.

My forearms were REALLY sore when I first started using the formulator extension wise.

I do not bend, so I can't even give an opinion.

I agree with all that Bill has posted. Since the time I received my Devils Advocate

I know I will not use a normal ISG again, I gave it to a buddy of mine.

But now he wants a DA for himself. The Formulator, again Bill's post echos my sentiments. I have just started fooling around with levering hammers and I feel

the Formulator has produced a very strong stable wrist to advance in progression

without the fear of injury. Setup, and use of time, is a bonus with the Formulator.

No opinions on the formulator here, but the adjustable gripper takes me less than 5 minutes to adjust. I put athletic tape over the washers to make them feel less slippery. I only ajust mine in between workouts anyways- I think many of us (at least I do) have enough grippers so that I can warm up without dinking with the adjustable gripper. Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like my supergripper. I just think a real adjustable gripper would be better. I would still pick up the devil's advocate if I had alot of extra money. If PDA made the adjustable gripper, instead of washers they could set up smaller pieces of gripper handles to use as increments. You set up a #3 strength gripper with shortening and lengthening options available, and you have a wide variety of strengths.

Regarding the formulator though, is it that much better than regular wrist/reverse wrist curls? I am getting the impression that many people are starting this type of work only after they bought a formulator.

Regular barbell wrist curls may be a little bit more of a pain in the ass, but $150+shipping is worth alot of pain in my ass.

Great advertisement, look at those guns! Dude, do you work out? :bow Both of those look great.

I like my supergripper. I just think a real adjustable gripper would be better.

Just one question. How you can assess one piece of equipment over another without actually using it? This is a modified Supergripper and the key modification that makes it difference you don't have.

I guess as with all equipment there are limits and requirements that each of us individually have. Take the bench shirt for example. If one has 3 training partners, they may not have the requirement to be able to put the shirt on by themselves.

The big problem I see with the Devil's Advocate is convincing someone who isn't already into the grippers to drop $100 on it will be hard. Guys who can appreciate the potential value don't really need it. I've got 12 grippers from T-#3, at this point a DA would be redundant. I also think the simplicity of the torsion spring grippers is a large part of their appeal. Really, if I was comitted to just progressively training my crush, I could have bought a plate loaded grip machine for under $100 a long time ago.

I'd also echo Bob's question on the formulator, as to whether or not most people are experiencing benefit from it because they only started doing direct wrist work upon getting the device. Any time I see a piece of equipment championed as the best solution for specialization on single muscle group, I have doubts.

If someone has the money and the equipment motivates them to train or makes training more efficient, I'm all for getting new toys. I've got a set of power blocks that are a testament to this. I just think that it is important to recognize we are still talking about training tools.

Any time I see a piece of equipment championed as the best solution for specialization on single muscle group, I have doubts.

I never said it was THE BEST piece of wrist and forearm device on the market.

I reiterate,that it is a VERY GOOD! device for working the wrist and forearm.

I do not believe there is "THE BEST" for anything.......................

Any time I see a piece of equipment championed as the best solution for specialization on single muscle group, I have doubts.

Dang Rick, neither did I! :) I said at the "front edge" and did not say THE BEST. As I stated, different people have different requirements and limits as well. To each his own. My statements stand on what my opinion is. And, as everyone knows, opinions are like...

:laugh

I guess I was reading into you endorsement of the product endorsement of the sales material on Functional Hand Strength, wich does say:

"Take it from someone who knows, this is the very best method for building strong wrists. Nothing else even comes close... "

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/formulator.html

My fault. That was wrong.

Dang Rick, neither did I! :) I said at the "front edge" and did not say THE BEST. As I stated, different people have different requirements and limits as well. To each his own. My statements stand on what my opinion is. And, as everyone knows, opinions are like...

:laugh

Settle down now Scott .. It`s all good :)

True Bill, I don't know whether an adjustable gripper is better, haven't tried the DA.

Honestly, it is something I would like to try though.

... but the adjustable gripper takes me less than 5 minutes to adjust. I put athletic tape over the washers to make them feel less slippery. I only ajust mine in between workouts anyways- I think many of us (at least I do) have enough grippers so that I can warm up without dinking with the adjustable gripper. Just my opinion.

I've made 4 adjustable grippers for myself, 2,3,elite and 4, and I swear by them. I keep a wrench right with my chalk and it takes me about 30 secs to adjust one - about as long as it takes to adjust my ISG. But i do like the idea of the DA, i don't know how people could buy just a handful of grippers to train with, i need the smaller increments to progress.