Side Pressure

Patrik_F

Isn't side pressure what Todd H is famous for? I don't agree with the concept of not training it.

A good side hit is what separates an armwrestler from a beginner. It is where the power comes from in AW, side is much stronger than backpreasure. Not to say that backpreasure isnt important. You must however be very careful training the side since you can easily overstrain the ligaments and joints.

Isn't side pressure what Todd H is famous for? I don't agree with the concept of not training it.

I didn't want to say never to train sidepressure. I personally just think sidepressure is easier to train during table time than with pulleys (for advanced pullers pulleys may work). Also I think most beginners have to learn a good load of backpressure first.

Todd has great side-pressure and we had three good matches last year at the michigan state last year in which he beat me.The second match was a elbow fowl

• 2 weeks later...
Todd has great side-pressure and we had three good matches last year at the michigan state last year in which he beat me.The second match was a elbow fowl

What an oportunity, Must have been a great experience to be able to have some good matches with Todd. :)

Edited by Curtis.K

• 1 year later...

Side pressure is something that will slowly develop over time after years of building strong tendons and technique. Look at Ron Bath if you want to see some side pressure applied. Youtube his match with Devon.

A lot of people swear by it, but I wouldn't just start training for it. If I came up across a side pressure beast, I sure wouldn't try and beat him with side pressure. I would probably try to low hand top roll him, or try and press his wrist backwards and down into the table. These side pressure guys/girls usually hook, or/then roll into some type of shoulder press with their wrist bent back. A brutal spot to be in for their opponent.

Don't worry about side pressure, just worry about how to defeat it;)

Pec deck for side pressure. When pulling and you want to apply side pressure keep your elbow as close to the middle of your body as possible.

Pec deck for side pressure. When pulling and you want to apply side pressure keep your elbow as close to the middle of your body as possible.

This is usually good for a hook, too. Hook in your wrist and pull your elbow in towards your belly button. This opens up the biceps of the other person, taking them out of their comfort angle. You can continue to rotate in after this, attacking their rotator, or simply press, which is probably the side pressure Paul is talking about.

I never train side pressure.

It slowly develops from your pulling practice but at slight angles. Each puller is

different.

Technically, no arm wrestler uses STRICT side pressure in a match. It don't happen.

There's always angles involved whether you toproll, hook, press, etc.

If you train side pressure long enough you'll end up injured, guaranteed, take it to the bank.

Back pressure, hand control and wrist strength development are far more important.

Ask any puller who consitently trains side pressure how often they stay injured. If they're honest, it's often.

Stay away from it. You'll be glad you did. ;)

Stay Strong!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Yup. If you want to be a beast somewhere, just train your hook. It's like side pressure in the essence of nostalgia, which is why I think people get obsessed with side pressure, except a hook works, without heavy recovery or injury.

Devon Larratt has always explained technical armwrestling very well.

http://www.inthehook.com/devon.html

Click the link, or if I didn't post correctly, copy and paste, then check out "Devon talks about developing side pressure".

Edited by AFreeland

http://www.armpower.net/images/trening_upl...2_13%20copy.jpg

http://www.armpower.net/images/trening_upl...40518103102.jpg

choose weight so to it can execute minimum 5 rep in set, (never less than 5 rep in set !!!!! )

never don't the max of weight on 1 rep

Edited by pawel r

• 1 month later...
Voevoda emphasize on wrist curl and side pressure

I do a side preassure move using a cable and a aw-table... Never had any pain from it. I do it from high and medium poition, Started with moderate weight and now I do 100 kg for 10 reps. Not much for most aw I am sure but progress for me!

I do some pretty rough stuff to my tendons in my training, and my arms feel great. The table is a whole different story. I'll pull no where near the weight I do at home, and after the match, I'm sore. It's a whole different beast. AW will always work you harder than weight training. I pulled some guy at work with two hands, and I used a deep hook to turn him over and win. That really got my tendons the next couple of days:/