Side Pressure

Patrik_F

Hello everyone!

I am a beginner at armwrestling and need to have much better sidepressure. I am trying to figure out what side pressure is all about.

Is a good sidepressure more about technique or is it certain specific small tendons/ligaments that needs to be strengthened to be able to have good sidepressure? Timing? Speed? What is it most about?

Hello everyone!

I am a beginner at armwrestling and need to have much better sidepressure. I am trying to figure out what side pressure is all about.

Is a good sidepressure more about technique or is it certain  specific small tendons/ligaments that needs to be strengthened to be able to have good sidepressure? Timing? Speed? What is it most about?

Pure strength is what its mostly about IMO....you can't have good side pressure without strength.....

The problem with developing side pressure is that it takes a really long time, because the muscles involved are so small and not accustomed to heavy loads. If you do too much too quickly you'll hurt yourself.

Side pressure comes from medial rotation of the humerus, as well as shoulder adduction. It's as important to armwrestling as back pressure, hand and wrist strength, speed, endurance... all in combination. You can get by with some of those, but you need all of them to really excel.

Are we talking months and years? I have noticed that just those muscles are especially vulnerable, and very easily starts to ache after a few pulls.

I was thinking to develop "base" strength with some simple springs I have attached to my powerrack to simulate the sidepressure movement.

factor that in, but dont do just that, work on overall strength.

Alot of the top armwrestlers have been pulling for many years.. it takes that long to develop everything, and your tendons thicken and get stronger. Not to say this can't be accomplished sooner, but on average it takes a few years of pulling to move up past novice/amateur... and to move up to be able to challenge elite level pullers you're looking at a few more at least. Unless you're just extremely gifted and strong from the start and bypass the learning curve.

Any ideas to train sidepressure without a table and without a pulley?

I've been training the "brick lift" for a while and feel that it does a decent job of simulating side pressure.

My addition to the lift is to use weight plates in place of bricks. Line up a row of 10's or 25's on a bench. Squeeze from the ends and lift clear of the bench. Let me know what you think.

Good idea. I use the "Chest Developer" from wwfitness.com attached to my powerrack as I said before, at the end I have hooked up a baseball which I hold onto, a Rolling Thunder works too.

I have always been taught that when you work aby one muscle or technique in armwrestling you must factor in stamina. A good excersize for side pressure is to have a much stronger opponent than you to use two arms and just hold you dead center while you exert side pressure. Do this to failure and you will not only grow stronger side pressure wise but you will improve the stamina in thos muscles. Another great exersice is to find a post and just exert side pressure against that immovable post to failure. We used to use the post of a swingset in the backyard of my training partner. Everyone arm will seem slightly easier after trying to move a whole swingset.

I've been training the "brick lift" for a while and feel that it does a decent job of simulating side pressure.

My addition to the lift is to use weight plates in place of bricks.  Line up a row of 10's or 25's on a bench.  Squeeze from the ends and lift clear of the bench.  Let me know what you think.

Good idea, Sean!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

my first post...

I started training a little for arm wrestling. For side pressure I do an exercise which I've never see anywhere, and I'm pretty sure it's dangerous. What I do is lie on the back on the floor have a dumbbell on the right arm which is curled at 90 degrees at the elbow, slightly lift the left shoulder off the floor and curl the dumbbell sideways off the floor with the right hand.

I'm pretty sure it's dangerous, but I did make progress with it. :flame

--speed

• 1 year later...
Hi,

my first post...

I started training a little for arm wrestling. For side pressure I do an exercise which I've never see anywhere, and I'm pretty sure it's dangerous. What I do is lie on the back on the floor have a dumbbell on the right arm which is curled at 90 degrees at the elbow, slightly lift the left shoulder off the floor and curl the dumbbell sideways off the floor with the right hand.

I'm pretty sure it's dangerous, but I did make progress with it. :flame

--speed

I am an armwrestler in Canada and Placed 2nd in Provincials and have placed top 3 in several tournaments.

One thing I will suggest about side pressure is do NOT train for striclty side pressure, all you are going to do is injure yourself.

Armwrestling is not about side pressure.

You should concentrate on training the 2 main techniques in the sport. TOPROLLING and HOOKING.

Side pressure is hard on the bones in your harm as well as the tendons.

If you talk to the best in the sport, they will tell you that training side pressure is not recomended.

I am an armwrestler in Canada and Placed 2nd in Provincials and have placed top 3 in several tournaments.

One thing I will suggest about side pressure is do NOT train for striclty side pressure, all you are going to do is injure yourself.

Armwrestling is not about side pressure.

You should concentrate on training the 2 main techniques in the sport. TOPROLLING and HOOKING.

Side pressure is hard on the bones in your harm as well as the tendons.

If you talk to the best in the sport, they will tell you that training side pressure is not recomended.

It seems to me that you know very little about Arm wrestling.

Voevoda emphasize on wrist curl and side pressure

Crazy, Must be winning by luck then. Just kidding.

Just trying to help people out with the basics and where to start. That's all, No offense intended. Honest.

Of course in a match you do require side pressure but What I'm saying is that It should never be a flat handed side pressure which is what a lot of people think they should be training. It's a NEW TO ARMWRESTLING thing. You know, Like when you see guys armwrestle who clearly are new to the sport.

The side pressure should be used when in a toproll or hook position and NEVER with you hand straight out in front of you with your knuckles facing your opononend.

Edited by Curtis.K

Curtis: I've seen you in the AW board and you seem like a nice guy, I know you're new to this board (from your 8 total posts) and ask you not to misjudge the board by the comment someone just made about you knowing very little. That username says he joined in 2006 but only has 1 post, and it was rather offensive.. just ignore it. You're a succesful AW'er and your comments and suggestions are very welcome! :mosher

Curtis: I've seen you in the AW board and you seem like a nice guy, I know you're new to this board (from your 8 total posts) and ask you not to misjudge the board by the comment someone just made about you knowing very little. That username says he joined in 2006 but only has 1 post, and it was rather offensive.. just ignore it. You're a succesful AW'er and your comments and suggestions are very welcome! :mosher

I truly appreciate you taking the time to write this. I was truly just trying to give some advice. I don't claim to know everything but I am more than willing to give out some advice when I think I can help somebody out.

Thanks a lot and you have earned by respect already and thanks a TON for the compliments. Very nice of you.

I think I understand what Curtis means. As an armwrestling trainer I recommend to train backpressure (pulling back), training the toproll and training the hook move. I don't recommend to train a pressure movement to the side. In my opinion the move to the side is a pulling (!) move that you need if you hook up. Beginners should first learn to pull, that's it.

I think I understand what Curtis means. As an armwrestling trainer I recommend to train backpressure (pulling back), training the toproll and training the hook move. I don't recommend to train a pressure movement to the side. In my opinion the move to the side is a pulling (!) move that you need if you hook up. Beginners should first learn to pull, that's it.

Exactly Florian.

You are right on the ball with that one.

Just tough to word things sometimes.

;)

Edited by Curtis.K

So if one was to say bypass the learning curve faster than average. Then what? Still don't train side pressure?

Crazy, Must be winning by luck then. Just kidding.

Just trying to help people out with the basics and where to start. That's all, No offense intended. Honest.

Of course in a match you do require side pressure but What I'm saying is that It should never be a flat handed side pressure which is what a lot of people think they should be training. It's a NEW TO ARMWRESTLING thing. You know, Like when you see guys armwrestle who clearly are new to the sport.

The side pressure should be used when in a toproll or hook position and NEVER with you hand straight out in front of you with your knuckles facing your opononend.

Thats what you mean lol. I never train side pressure with a straight wrist. I will start the movement straight but then wrist curl (various ways, into hook, toproll, etc.) as to compound the movement even further.

But yeah I wasn't thinking you were talking about flat hand and stuff you wouldn't actually do in a match.