Tou goes for the #3

Tou

No more messing around. I want to close the #3 and I will do it. When, it doesn't matters. I'll do it period.

I've been away from the grippers for a too long period. It's time to get back and train on them seriously.

I'll be doing twice a week heavy and hard workout consisting of singles and strap holds. I'll also work everyday on the #1 for 2-3 sets of fast reps.

My first report is coming in soon.

March 11th

Warm up with #1 : 10 reps / hand

Singles with modified #2 (3" handles) : 10 with right hand, 2 with left hand (minimum 5 seconds hold on each single).

Strap holds with #1 and 20 pounds

Right : 10 sec - 14 sec - 16 sec - 12 sec - 11 sec

Left : 8 sec - 7 sec - 7 sec - 7 sec - 5 sec

My strap is very slippery. I have to crush a lot just to hold 10 pounds. I'll get a leather strap.

Timed holds with #1

Right : 30 sec - 27 sec

Left : 23 sec - 28 sec

Reps with #1, 3 fingers

Right : 7 - 9 - 8

Left : 8 - 6 - 8

I can't wait to have a new #2 to do strap holds with it. I should have it soon. It was a good first serious workout since a long time. I won't touch my #3 for at least a month and see where I am in a couple of weeks.

March 14th

Warm up with #1 : 10 reps / hand

325 PDA : 2 close with right, not even close to do it left.

Modified #2 : 5 singles right, 2 left.

Strap holds #1 with 25 pound

Right : 14 sec - 17 sec - 17 sec - 15 sec - 12 sec

Left : 7 sec - 8 sec - 6 sec - 5 sec - 5 sec

Consecutive reps with #1 2 fingers

Right : 23     Left : 20

Bad workout. I was not mentally ready for a battle. Until I get my new #2, I'll do 2 workouts a week but as soon as I begin strap holds on the #2, I'll drop the grippers to once a week. I'm into powerlifting right now (I'll join a competition club this summer) and my main focus is to build up my squat to my previous best and keep working heavy on deadlift singles. Deadlift, shrugs, side bends and one hand deadlift hit my grip a lot so once a week on the grippers will be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

March 23rd

Warm up on #1 : 10 singles / hand

Modified #2 : 5 singles right, 2 singles left. This thing is very tough and has no flange on the handles so it cuts the fingers.

Strap holds with #1 and 30 pounds. Right 15 - 14 - 12 - 12 - 12. Left 12 - 12 - 10 - 9 - 9

I'll receive a #2 and a 309 this week and I'll drop the strap holds with the #1. To work in the 5 seconds range, I would use 38-40 pounds which would be hard on wrists and shoulders. Strap holds with #2 is what will bring me up to my past level. I tried my #3 yesterday and didn't break the 1/4 mark.

PDA 325 negatives : 5 / hand

Reps on the #1 with 3 fingers (3/4 off the bottom of the handle). Right : 15.  Left : 10.

Next workout : #2 strap holds and I'll see what I can do with a 309 PDA. Can't wait to compare it to my 325.

March 24th

Speed work with the #1. Elder people could have hold a dance to the sound of the gripper. The gripper clicked loud and a lot (I did over 100 reps for each hand).

I then tried a few attempts on the #3(it's been a while since I tried). I closed it on a 1/4 thick nail and held it for 8 seconds. Then, I got 1/4 and a crappy attempt (won't tell the distance reached).

I'm waiting for a #2 and a 309 this week and I'll beat my hands on #2 strap holds until I close the #3. Let's hope it will be this year.

Wednesday march 27th

I got the #2 and the 309 from Paul Valpreda. I say #2 because the number is stamped on bottom but the handles are a lot wider than the COC and I can close it only twice. I'm pretty sure it is an old #2 or a BBM. I can't do strap holds with it andI used to work strap holds for 10 seconds with 15 pounds on my previous #2. After a failed attempt to get an in-between gripper with a PDA 325 that is way too close of a #3, I got my perfect gripper, the #2 BBM (that's the name I'll use for this gripper)  ;)

Today's workout

Warm up with #1 : 10 reps / hand.

Singles on PDA 309 : 5 / hand

Timed holds

Right with #2 BBM : 5 sec - 8 - 10 - 6 - 5

Left with PDA 309 : 12 - 12 - 12 - 8 - 6

Strap holds with PDA 309

Right : 2,5lbs. 15 sec. - 5 lbs. 12 sec. - 7,5 lbs. 8 sec. - 10 lbs. 11 sec. - 12, 5 lbs. 7 sec.

No strap holds with the left (not yet)

Cool down with #1

Ladder 1-2-3-4-5-6 / hand.

Not my best workout. I played with my new grippers all afternoon and my hands were sore at the beginning of the workout. I didn't attempt the #3. I'll wait for a few weeks of strap holds to show results.

I build myself a gripper storage block. It is a 4x4 wood beam in which I drilled holes of 13/16 at every 1 1/2 inch. I painted it black. It holds my 7 grippers perfectly and avoids messing up my studying desk.  :)

Next workout on saturday.

Saturday march 30th

Warm up : 10 singles / hand

Fast singles with 309 : 5 / hand

Strap holds with 309 (right only)

1. 12,5 lbs : 18 seconds (3 fingers, pinkie slipped off)

2. 15 lbs : 12 seconds

3. 17, 5 lbs : 10 seconds (tough)

4. 17, 5 lbs : 10 seconds (VERY tough)

5. 17, 5 lbs : 5 seconds (completely drained)

Timed holds with #2 BBM (right) and 309 (left)

R : 8 - 6 - 7 - 6 - 5

L : 8 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 4

Very poor on timed holds. My hands didn't want to work at this point.

Ladder with #1 (speed reps)

R : 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 -7  - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16

L : 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9

I have a lot of speed with the right hand but I have to work on it with the left.

Stretching

Comments : I didn't feel 100%. I did a lot of manual jobs these past two days and my hands were a little bit sore before the workout. I had to push myself in my basement (which serves as my grip gym). Timed holds sucked but strap holds were good. It's time to jump up and work them with #2 BBM and light weights (and build up strength progressively).

Next workout wednesday.

Scott Calyton set a date for his goal to pinch 150. It is an additionnal motivation.

Here's my objective :

To close the #3 before september 1st 2002.

Now all I have to do is go and get it.

:)

Wednesday april 3rd

1. Warm up with COC #1 : 10 reps / hand

2. Singles with 309 : 5 / hand

3. Strap holds with #2 BBM (right hand) and 2,5 lbs.

8 sec. - 9 - 6 - 6 - 5

4. Strap holds with 309 (left hand) and 2,5 lbs.

12 sec. - 10 - 9 - 8 - 6

5. Thick foamed handle holds (like a cheap homemade Big      Squeeze dumbell). 2 1/2 handle + 1" of camping mat around it.

90 pounds on the handle.

Right : 17 - 15 - 17

Left : 17 - 15 - 13

6. Lever bar to the front (2" handle x 48", 2,5 lbs at the end).

Right : 7 reps, 7, 6, 5, 5

Left : 7 reps, 6, 6, 5, 4

7. Fast reps with #1

Three sets of 15 with both hands.

Good workout overall. Will keep the strap holds as the core of my training and will attempt the #3 in about a month.

Saturday april 6

I deadlifted 500 for 5 singles yesterday. I switched to regular deadlifts a few weeks ago to prepare myself for sandbags training this summer. My hams and entire back is growing thicker and stronger with regular deads (I do sumo style in my normal training).

Today's gripper battle.

1. Warm ups with #1 : 10 singles / hand.

2. Singles with PDA 309 : 5 / hand.

3. Strap holds with #2 BBM and 3,5 lbs. (right only)

7 sec. - 6 sec. - 5 sec. (Those were very tough).

4. Timed holds with PDA 309 (left only)

15 sec. - 12 sec. - 10 sec.

5. Reps on PDA 309

Right : 8 - 7 - 10

Left : 5 - 4 - 3

6. Two hands sandbag curls (70 lbs)

8 - 7 - 8. Very tough and poor technique. My bag is round as a stone (I tie it like a garbage bag so it is compact) and it is very difficult to push in.

7. Sanbag OH press (100 lbs)

12 - 10 - 8

Not a good workout. The strap holds were very tough, anormally tough. Just setting the gripper was tough. I think I'll take one more rest day between each workout. I deadlift twice a week and it beats my hands a lot.

Next workout wednesday.

Wednesday april 10th.

I deadlifted yesterday and got a new PR on regular deadlift : 535 pounds, no suits, just a belt. I missed 545 by a few inches.

I felt strong today for my gripper workout. However, I cut it short on the exercises and the sets. If I want to have two solid strap holds workouts every week, I have to ocus on it and drop the timed holds and the extra singles.

Store grippers : 1 x 20 both hand

#1 : 10 singles / hand

309 : 3 singles / hand

Strap holds with #2 BBM and 2,5 pounds (right only)

1. 10 sec.  2. 8 sec.  3. 11 sec.

I'll add weight for next workout. 3,5 lbs should be good.

Timed holds with 309 (left only)

1. 13 sec.  2. 13 sec.  3. 11 sec.

That's it for the grippers today.

I did some sandbags OH press and curls after the grippers. 135 lbs press is a joke with a barbell but with a sandbag, it is a constant fight. And it's worst for curls.

Good workout overall. I felt really strong on the strap holds. My positionning was always perfect too (which is not always the case).

It'll be hard but I still believe that september 1st is a realistic date goal for the #3. I think I'll close it when I'll have 10 pounds for 7-8 seconds on the #2 BBM. We'll see !

Next workout saturday.

Monday April 15th.

Felt strong today.

#3 attempts : 1/8, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4. I used wood dowels to see where I was. All the attempts touched the wood.

Strap holds with #2 BBM adn 4,5 lbs.

1. 10 sec.

2. 9 sec.

3. 9 sec.

4. 8 sec.

5. 8 sec.

I'll add weight next workout.

Did a lot of singles with PDA 309  for left hand and finished with my store grippers for 2 sets of 100 (amazing pump !).  I also did some weaver stick to the front.