Mastery Of Hand Strength Vs Captains Of Crush Book

ManiacLetLoose

Hi guys,

My goal is to close the no.3 Captains of Crush Gripper. I can currently close the no.1 only a couple of times (just starting out)

Which book would be the best to buy to reach my goal.

"Mastery of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield (or his newer book) "The Grip Master's Manual" or should I buy the CoC Training Book?

I would like specific advise and techniques on training with the COC grippers because I do not have any other grip devices to work with.

Thanks for you help!

:mosher

Edited by ManiacLetLoose

As far as training advice goes, the only real redeeming quality of the Captains of Crush book is the Joe Kinney section, and even that is not even close to an entire book's worth of advice.

"Mastery" is the better book of the 2 by far. A lot of basics are covered, and the famous block weight quote is one to live by. But......since you are only interested in working with the grippers specifically, I would go with neither and spend the money on a gripper or two that are between the Ironmind #1 and #2, I recommend the PDA 243, and then subsequently a gripper in between the Ironmind #2 and #3, for which I would strongly recommend the Beef Builder Super Master.

Also if you are really new to this game, research these few topics:

Negatives

Filed Grippers

Table No Sets

Hope that helps you more than it hinders you.

Acutally, if you only have grippers read back posts from here. I don't believe there is a need for any book at this point.

Don't start out too fast with the grippers.

How many do you have?

Get a 2 dollar clamp from the hardware store. Add rubber bands. It's a cheap way to work your thumb.

Do you workout in general? If not, it's not likely you will reach as far as you could with your grip if you did.

Pinching plates is easy. It's also easy to put together a cheap way to work pinch.

See the pinned routine by David Horne for beginners in the FAQ forum.

If you really want to buy a book, I think Mastery of Hand Strength is the way to go. To reach the #3 close requires a foundation of well developed hand strength, which MOS provides a path to. I also don't think you need a book.

There is not a more definitive source of information on gripping than on this board. For the money you'd spend on a book, you can round out your grip toys substantially. Get a pony clamp to work your thumbs and a sledge to work your wrists (levering). If you can bear parting with another $20 or so, you can also get/make a block weight to work your overall hand structure.

Work exercises with those items into your lifting routine and your hand strength will take off. Once you've been at it for a couple of months and decide that it is definitely time for some gripper specialization, get the KTA ebook from Cyberpump.com. It's not an easy program, but it will get you far on the grippers if you can stick to it.

Used to be said around here that no true gripster should be without both Brookfields books "Mastery of Hand Strength" and "The Gripmasters Manual". These were considered a basic addition to a gripsters library.

Thanks, for all the advice guys and thanks to Maniac for starting this thread. I actually had the same question a few days ago.

You'll find a TON more useful information on this board than in any of those books. I'd just save your money and buy some inbetween grippers. David Horne's beginner routine is great. Greg and Dave's High Volume routine is awesome. You might also look into KTA eventually. It's not free but well worth the price, just for the technique tips alone.

Thanks guys!

Just to answer some of the questions that were asked.

Yes I am currently training with KettleBells & bodyweight exercises (eg. pull-ups, pistols), and Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing).

Thanks for the suggestions I will do some more searching of the archives using the suggested tips.

It's still good to get lots of ideas from. I bought it and am not using it, but the video on setting the gripper helped immensely, as did the explanation of different exercises and general concepts. Immediately after I bought KTA, I realized my target gripper alone wasn't ideal, and went and bought some more grippers, for instance.

These guys have given you some exellent advice, my man. The only 'tip' I'd like to chime in, would be to consider work with block weights. This is a big deal, and no secret to anyone here.

Read Bender's Page:

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

Look, I know you're just into grippers, and that's cool, but spend a few minutes and check out that info; especially "The Quest for The #3 Gripper" at the bottom of the page. No joke- you will be better for it [even if for the 'mittens' advice alone. :) ]

These guys have given you some exellent advice, my man. The only 'tip' I'd like to chime in, would be to consider work with block weights. This is a big deal, and no secret to anyone here.

Read Bender's Page:

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

Look, I know you're just into grippers, and that's cool, but spend a few minutes and check out that info; especially "The Quest for The #3 Gripper" at the bottom of the page. No joke- you will be better for it [even if for the 'mittens' advice alone. :) ]

Bender's web pages are the best.

It was after reading his story that I became really interested in grippers.

The Grip Masters Manuel is better if you want to learn about bar bending, coiling, and scrolling.

-HH

Well I have ordered the 'Grip Masters Manual'

I'm not really interested in bending and that sort of stuff, but i'm sure the book will have much to offer anyway.

I'll post my thoughts once I receive and read the book.

Thanks guys! :bow

I'm sure it will be a good read. Later if you decide you want to read Mastery of Hand Strength, I'm sure someone would be willing to trade for the Grip Master's manual.