Half Hook And Full Hook . . .

austinslater

What is the difference between a half hook and a regular hook? Ive seen a half hook mentioned and never any detail of it. Thanks in advance guys!

Austin

What is the difference between a half hook and a regular hook? Ive seen a half hook mentioned and never any detail of it. Thanks in advance guys!

Austin

My best guess don't know for sure.....but I would imagine a half hook as being total hand control with the oponents wrist straight and not bent back and not hooked but just straight....in this position your hand is hooked a little.....but I dunno.....maybe it is when you try to hook someone and you turn your hand in what looks like a bicep curl position and don't curl your wrist in....those are just my guesses I would like to know what your talking about aswell.... :help

Austin

HI AUSTIN GO TO GOOGLE AND LOOK UNDER HALF HOOK ARMWRESTLING THERE ARE A LOT OF PIC AND SITES SEE YA

"Half Hook" is a term that Aaron Lengyel introduced years ago describe a move in which one's wrist is flexed but the opponents isn't, and in which one is attacking sideways over the top of the opponent's hand (rather than more upward into his fingers, as with toprolling, or more downward into his wrist, as with hooking). It has also been called a "Straightover."

"Half Hook" is a term that Aaron Lengyel introduced years ago describe a move in which one's wrist is flexed but the opponents isn't, and in which one is attacking sideways over the top of the opponent's hand (rather than more upward into his fingers, as with toprolling, or more downward into his wrist, as with hooking).  It has also been called a "Straightover."

Yeah so I was right in one of my assumptions......thats good to know...

Yes, your first guess was right on the mark, Kyle. It's farely rare for the person doing this move to get his wrist completely flexed, though. In actual practice, it seems as though the further one flexes his wrist, the more chance the opponent has to get his wrist flexing too (resulting in hook). Whereas if one is able to get a slight flex in his wrist while his opponent's is still straight and then bump him really, really hard sideways, the match will often be over before the inequality in the wrists can be corrected. Thus, this move is devestating when combined with explosive starts. In this sport a person can go a long way with pure sidepressure, just enough hand control, and a violent start.

Yes, your first guess was right on the mark, Kyle. It's farely rare for the person doing this move to get his wrist completely flexed, though. In actual practice, it seems as though the further one flexes his wrist, the more chance the opponent has to get his wrist flexing too (resulting in hook). Whereas if one is able to get a slight flex in his wrist while his opponent's is still straight and then bump him really, really hard sideways, the match will often be over before the inequality in the wrists can be corrected. Thus, this move is devestating when combined with explosive starts. In this sport a person can go a long way with pure sidepressure, just enough hand control, and a violent start.

Sweet....side pressure is something I work at getting a lot of glad to know your oppinion of it...also I have seen pullers do this before with the slight bow and quick hit like Bagent....

I think I used a version of this last night at armwrestling practice. I would hit straight to the side with a straight wrist. I think Jonny Walker and maybe Todd Hutchings pull this way. It felt great. Not sure if this would be classified as a half hook or a sweep though?

Austin