Pullups

austinslater

Ive been short on time and have been focusing the majority of my training on pullups. I like to mix it up and usually use one of these options:

1. rope pullups

2. rolling handle pullups

3. thick rope pullups

I usually spend the majority of my time on the upper half of the pullup and finish with a full range set. I feel stronger on the table and just thought I would post my results. Give these a try! Thanks to Killswitch213 and Doc for the recomendation.

Austin

I got these off the Diesel site and have tried them. I was thinking if laying down and then using a thumbs down grip to pullup would be killer for back pressure..What do you think?

Yeah Smitty, thanks for all your dedication and hard work!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new pull up variation I made using two pulleys, a length of rope, four eye screws, four caribiners, two base balls, two lengths of 2" PVC, two 3" 1/4" bolts, two hex nuts, some purlon rope, four hardware rings, some knot tying skills, and a pillow if you want to train until failure.

The idea is you put the two eye screws in the ceiling rafters and this gives you your pulling station. This gives you a place to clip your first set of caribiners for quick exchange of grip tools. From there you can use the grip implements (pictured in my gallery) for pull ups. The Laybacks are described below.

The Layback: After you have built your pulling station then you attach the pulleys to the caribiners in the ceiling and run the length of rope threw them. I use crevasse rescue pulleys but you can find other (cheaper pulleys) at your local hardware stores. Then make your length of rope long enough to hang down so when you grab your grip tools your body (with arms fully extended) is parallel to the floor. If you are over cement and wish to train until failure get a pillow or crash pad to save yourself from injury. Then you grab the grip tool (eagle loops, PVC, baseballs or what have you) and layback making a rigid board. After this you just need to pull up with one hand and ease down the other. This is using all kinds of core stabilizers, and if you want to step it up a notch then have a buddy or a scornful wife place a plate on your chest when you get into position. This may however also increase the risk of injury, so remember to work smarter not harder in this regard, this exercise is no longer useful with a collapsed chest cavity.

Here is a link to my alblum where I demonstrate all the exercises:

Pull Up Variations including Laybacks

Enjoy,

-Sean

Sweet set up Sean! I'm going to try to copy this, maybe this weekend if I can swing it.

Thanks for the heads up.

W

No Problem man. They rock and you can even use them as a weird cardio torture device, wrist loops so you can not let go but you have to just keep going!

-Sean

Sean inspired me guys. Just got back from a trip to Home Depot. 28 bucks later, and some elbow grease tonight, and i'll have the Sean layback pullup grip device. What should we call it Sean. Was this your baby? If so, you should name it.

I am not sure what you should call it. I hate to claim ownership I was just messing around in my garage thinking about Brad's low rings, The Diesel Crews pull up variation video and what I had laying around and wallah. I tried another version where you are hanging from it with your feet dangling like you were on a pull up bar and then doing the same motion, single arm pulls back and forth but alas I am just not that tough, I know some here are so they might give it a shot. As far as names go...Layback Pulls? If anyone else has a better name post it. As long as you get something out of it you could call it bullshit and I would be happy. I just think it is hard to do. Another extreme grip tool to use with this would be pieces of 2X4 pinch style baby.

-Sean