Kettlebells For Improving Grip/functional Strength

2000rawtotal

Whats a good starting weight if someone wanted to buy one KB to start with..  Ones max curling weight?  10 lbs more than curling weight, 10 lbs less than pressing weight max? how about the 175 pounder from Canada?  ; )

~Steve

I started with the 16kg as well. I think its the average starting weight. If it is too light just do a couple more reps.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blarg

• DarkGenbu

• Rekx

• cmedwin

A good place to start for most guys is the 16kg but recently i've been finding that for people with a good base of strength developed through sports or weight lifting the 20kg is a better option.

This also applies to bigger taller guys 6'2" and over 200 for example.

The 16 is always nice for learning new drills but for swings and snatches its a little wimpy if you are already conditioned

Whats a good starting weight if someone wanted to buy one KB to start with..  Ones max curling weight?  10 lbs more than curling weight, 10 lbs less than pressing weight max? how about the 175 pounder from Canada?  ; )

~Steve

I started with a 16kg like most everyone else. I use my KBs for cardio and endurance since. How much you can curl doesn't really matter when you swing, snatch, or jerk them; it's the prosterior chain you should be using primarily to move the bells, and most people don't curl them because they cry about straining the wrists, but I think they're interesting to curl sometimes.

I've only got the 16 kg so far, and it's light for things like presses, but it's good to have a KB that's too light for presses, as you can still get good endurance and practice out of it on swings, and it's good for some of the more tricky/potentially dangerous moves like the side press and Turkish Get-Up to have a light weight to practice with. Those are exercises you can tear your shoulder and strain your obliques with, and take a good bit of practice to learn. You'll be using lighter weights in these exercises, probably, for a while until you get a really well-rounded shoulder stability.

I'd say at 16 kg. is a good one to start with, though the average guy, for most of his presses, will find it pretty light. It's just that there are other exercises besides presses. You could start heavier, but I wouldn't start at any heavier than 24 kg. A whole lot of kettlebell lifting has to do with refining the skill to handle an off-balance weight, so it's very different from dumbbells, and the skill factor and the off-balance thing can make KB weights feel heavier than they really are.

Sorry...but there simply is no comparison to a legit DragonDoor kettlebell.  I've tried them all, from homemade KB's to USKettlebells to KettleStacks.  Nothing beats a properly shaped cast iron kettlebell.  Worth every penny.

By the way, is there anything specific you can tell me about what you perceive to be the strengths and weaknesses of the USKettlebell adjustable kettlebells? Have you used them very extensively?

Many people have a very strong favorite amongst the different types or brands of kettlebellsl, but it seems more often than not by far that people get so thoroughly prejudiced about these things, sometimes even aggressive, that it can be almost impossible to get a particularly believable evaluation of any kettlebell products, or even lucid descriptions. It can get to be more than a little absurd, and it's a shame really. The hype in this market is extreme.

What's your point?

The point is that you say there's nothing to compare with a cast iron properly shaped DD kettlebell.

The DD kettlebells are not properly shaped. They also vary in size, and are solid, unlike proper GS ones.

I'm not saying they aren't any good-far from it, but I am merely pointing out a fact. If you're just training for fitness, or as a way of bolstering your grip strength, then great. If you start to get good at it and fancy a go at GS compettions however, the GS standard ones may well be a shock to the system.

The DD ones are also ludicrously expensive... :(

The shipping is incredibly high too. Shipping elsewhere for identical weight KB's can be 1/4 what DD charges, which in some cases is almost as much as the KB itself.

Re: GS standard KB's, why would they be a shock to the system? And do you know where they are sold?

Re: GS standard KB's, why would they be a shock to the system?  And do you know where they are sold?

I didn't mean to imply that they would be torturous to use or something. Being a different size and shape could affect your technique in things like the snatch I'd imagine.

As for finding them, I know of two places in the UK that sell KB's based on the GS pattern, elsewhere I don't know.

C.

Do they have websites?  I'm curious to find out more, even if they can't ship to the U.S.  Girevoy sounds really hard, but kind of fun, too.

http://www.kettlebell.co.uk/index.html

http://www.powerseekers.com/

I am reliably informed (by a russian Girevik) that these are based on the GS pattern.

A good GS page is here: http://www.girevoysport.ru/index.htm

True...Ddoor KB's are not properly shaped if GS is the goal.

What I meant by being properly shaped is that they don't sit to low on the arm, the handle is a correct width, there are no plates to pinch you, etc.

I wish the GS KB's were available in the US but they are not. Of the KB's available here, I think that ddoor are clearly the best.

What's your point?

The point is that you say there's nothing to compare with a cast iron properly shaped DD kettlebell.

The DD kettlebells are not properly shaped. They also vary in size, and are solid, unlike proper GS ones.

I'm not saying they aren't any good-far from it, but I am merely pointing out a fact. If you're just training for fitness, or as a way of bolstering your grip strength, then great. If you start to get good at it and fancy a go at GS compettions however, the GS standard ones may well be a shock to the system.

The DD ones are also ludicrously expensive... :(

I have a set of these kb's. kettlebells They are the best priced I have found. The only difference from the dd kb's that i could see was that the handels are slightly thicker. I could post a pic of mine if anyone would like to see them.

Edited by nickr104

Heard from everyone who's tried many KBs that the MaxKB ones suck and are shaped horribly.

The link doctordeath posted about GS in the forum the owner said that the GS competition bells are about 30-40$USD.

Heard from everyone who's tried many KBs that the MaxKB ones suck and are shaped horribly.

The link doctordeath posted about GS in the forum the owner said that the GS competition bells are about 30-40$USD.

I have a Max and there is nothing misshaped about it. It is not quite

as refined as my DDs, but not by much. About as refined as castiron can be

I have a set of these kb's. kettlebells  They are the best priced I have found.  The only difference from the dd kb's that i could see was that the handels are slightly thicker.  I could post a pic of mine if anyone would like to see them.

Holy crap! The 32kg (70lb) kettlebell is only $103.68 after shipping. That's $80 less than dragondoor's price.

Which handles are thicker and how much thicker, the dragondoor kettlebells or gillathletics kettlebells? :unsure

DoctorDeath, I'm assuming you've tried GS kettlebells -- do you like the GS KB's more or less than all the iron ones around? Is there some reason that they make them one way and others make them differently? I'm wondering if there's just something "better" about one style or the other that could be identified.

Yeah I was wondering that too. They look sleek and cool, and considering the expense of DD KB's, might be in line with those prices or cheaper even with shipping.

But I'd like to hear if there are any downsides to using the girevoy sport type kettlebells. Balance, grip, whatever -- I mean there must be good things and bad things either way.

The powermax Kb's are not as well crafted as ddoor. The handle is thinker, and they do waork the grip more, but it also changes the physics of the KB, most especially in snatches. Also, the paint starts to chip and fall off after a month or so.

Yeah I was wondering that too.  They look sleek and cool, and considering the expense of DD KB's, might be in line with those prices or cheaper even with shipping.

But I'd like to hear if there are any downsides to using the girevoy sport type kettlebells.  Balance, grip, whatever -- I mean there must be good things and bad things either way.

They do look nice! But I think the cost would be prohibitive.

A 32k costs (rounded off) $172 US. Shipping could be out of sight. Let`s compare

to an aluminum handle gripper. I paid $10 shipping for an RB gripper from a

member here that lives in the UK. The gripper weighs about 8 0zs. You do the math on the Kb. :yikes